Van Conversion Beginner (Peugeot Boxer 2006) (1 Viewer)

Blackjack01

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I'm a newbie to these forums and motorhomes in general, I was fortunate enough to borrow a Fiat Ducato motorhome and travel for approx 7 weeks around Europe, I loved every minute of it. I've since been looking for a van I can convert as I can't afford to buy a motorhome.
I've since purchased a Peugeot Boxer LWB 2006 Reg and in the first day of planning the layout etc, I've briefly read the DVLA guidance document, in order for the van it has to meet certain minimum requirements, one of which states:-
"A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used
for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle".
I've measured the inside of the van which currently has ply lined but measures approx 1780mm across at the widest point.

My question is:- I would like my bed to go across the back of the van, does anyone know how to overcome this issue, as I will want to insulate, and ply line the inside?

The van isn't that long internally so I don't really want to have the bed going long ways.

Any feedback would be much appreciated....Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The ply lining is probably 'straight', whereas when you re-do it you can go into the curves more to get the extra length for the bed at the widest point which is usually somewhere approx 1/3rd of the height from the van floor.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
We have done such a conversion and were able to achieve 6 feet 1 inch using 6mm ply lining with appropriate battens mounted to strengthen. No one from DVLA will come and measure unless your conversion raises red flags - so if you are 1mm under, you will still be OK! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you are going to insulate the van which you should then you will need to take off the existing ply lining anyway. My conversion has a 6ft bed across the rear and 25mm insulation behind two layers of plywood

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You have come to the best forum for information for shelf buld.
Their is a wealth of knowleg just waiting to be taped.
Pay your sub's. And save a fortune
Look forward to seeing the progress of your build
Welcome to fun
Willdbill

OP
OP
Blackjack01

Blackjack01

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the welcome,

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions in the upcoming months, I'll certainly post regular updates on my progress

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've since purchased a Peugeot Boxer LWB 2006 Reg and in the first day of planning the layout etc, I've briefly read the DVLA guidance document, in order for the van it has to meet certain minimum requirements, one of which states:-
"A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used
for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle".
I've measured the inside of the van which currently has ply lined but measures approx 1780mm across at the widest point.

My question is:- I would like my bed to go across the back of the van, does anyone know how to overcome this issue, as I will want to insulate, and ply line the inside?

The van isn't that long internally so I don't really want to have the bed going long ways.

Any feedback would be much appreciated....Thanks
@Blackjack01 I would suggest you have a look at this Epic conversion By Ralph , its a stunner :)
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we have a sister site for self builds

you can see details from my conversion by clicking on the links below blog and build pictures
as some one has said no one is going to come and measure your bed and any you can sleep diagonal which will get the 6 ft
mine is just 1200mm from ply to ply and you can go into the void behind the ply with a recess if you had to

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back