Using to many volts on 12v than EHU? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I am currently on a campsite on the Ile de Re,but last night we were on an aire in Cognac. The leisure batteries went down to 11.9 last night with only a couple of LED lights,tv for a few hours and heating for a few hours. With those on,the Sargent EC450 box said I was using nearly 7amps,but now I am on EHU and with every light on,tv and heating on electric it says I am only using 1.1 amps!
So how can I find out what’s drawing power from the leisure batteries that doesn’t draw when I am on EHU?

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I presume that your references to 7V and 1.1V should be 7A and 1.1A?

Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think your display will be Amps not Volts being drawn

On mine I would see a net difference

So at night with no hook up and no solar, I think you were drawing 7A which is quite a .lot for what you described

During the day any solar on mine would effectively offset this loss

but if on hook up you are still showing a 1A draw that implies over and above the charger input

something doesn't seem right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Umm yea I think you need to reword your post there fella, you don't "use volts" as such, you draw amps..
Amps are a measure of current

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I suspect you mean amps rather than volts... You will use 12v no matter what you have turned on.
I think, now you're on hookup, the charger is acting as a power supply and supplying 6amps+ and the 1.1amps is coming directly from the battery whereas last night all your power was coming from the battery.
Your ammeter appears to be in the battery to control panel circuit so will only show amps drawn from the battery.

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Yes sorry I meant amps

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
But why would so few lights and tv drain two leisure batteries in an evening. I replaced the leisure batteries last September with Bosch ones.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Might be faulty battery
Might be a large phantom drain
Might not be charging properly
Might be a faulty charger
Might be a faulty solar charger

Needs looking at with a multimeter and amps clamp to see what's actually going in and coming out of battery bank and what voltage they are ACTUALLY at (i.e ignore the control panel and check directly..
Do they charge properly with engine running and or with EHU on.
What voltage are they at after being on charge all night with nothing switched on
What amps are being drawn from the battery bank when nothing is knowingly switched on..

I'm not sure we can answer any of this over the internet TBH.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My ammeter shows the draw when on battery but doesn't move when on EHU.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You need to look at the wattage label on the rear of the TV. That could be anywhere between 2 - 4 plus Amps. Then if you have the blower on the heating add another 2 amps plus lights. So your 7 amps can easily be reached.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My ammeter shows the draw when on battery but doesn't move when on EHU.
It would if you draw more than your charger can supply.
On hookup your batteries only there to smooth the charges supply and provide any shortfall the charger can't give.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
But two leisure batteries tonka..
Lets surmise the batteries are approx 90ah each
50% drain to 12,2v so 90ah at most
7 amps draw should last nearly 13 hrs with no charging..(in ideal conditions)
Something is definitely wrong :D

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Might be faulty battery
Might be a large phantom drain
Might not be charging properly
Might be a faulty charger
Might be a faulty solar charger

Needs looking at with a multimeter and amps clamp to see what's actually going in and coming out of battery bank and what voltage they are ACTUALLY at (i.e ignore the control panel and check directly..
Do they charge properly with engine running and or with EHU on.
What voltage are they at after being on charge all night with nothing switched on
What amps are being drawn from the battery bank when nothing is knowingly switched on..

I'm not sure we can answer any of this over the internet TBH.

it chargers fine with engine running and with EHU and the solar fully chargers the batteries. I’ve never noticed this massive drain until now as think the solar was covering it up with lighter nights, and now it’s dark earlier it’s shown up a problem.

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
what is the voltage display now you are on charge?
20191021_222700.jpg
20191021_222706.jpg

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
but still.. even 7 amps should last you the entire day with no charging AT ALL..
I think yuou need to be looking into the state of the batteries to be honest, if the charging systems are working ok.
The amp draw probably wants investigating whilst off of any charging infrastructure so you can actually see what's theoretically using the power if you seem to think it's excessive.
turn one thing on at a time and measure the current draw directly from the battery and then confirm that sort of usage is normal by looking up the spec of the item either on the net, on the device itself or in a handbook if you have all the details to hand..
What size are your two batteries by the way

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am currently on a campsite on the Ile de Re,but last night we were on an aire in Cognac. The leisure batteries went down to 11.9 last night with only a couple of LED lights,tv for a few hours and heating for a few hours. With those on,the Sargent EC450 box said I was using nearly 7amps,but now I am on EHU and with every light on,tv and heating on electric it says I am only using 1.1 amps!
So how can I find out what’s drawing power from the leisure batteries that doesn’t draw when I am on EHU?
Depending on what sort of TV and heating you have they could add up to 7 amps.

But when on EHU I would expect your batteries to be on charge, they should not be discharging even one amp. Did you read the display correctly as a charge of around one amp is in the right area if the batteries are fully charged.

But as already suggested, the loads you have are being directly fed from the EHU, it is the same with solar, the reading shows only what is going into or out of the battery and what is going to the load won't be shown. This is by design because knowing what is happening to the batteries is useful. A figure of how many amps the charger is putting out isn't much use unless you know where it is going.

But to analyse your loads turn them on each in turn and check the current. If you have solar do this at night or cover the panels. And no EHU of course. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back