Useful adapter for revising my 2nd Gas Bottle plan (1 Viewer)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I wanted a 2nd exchange propane 6kg gas bottle for our MH.
Found a Facebook seller that lived local who had an empty 7kg butane bottle.

Plan 1 was to give her £10 for that & later exchange it for a full 6kg propane bottle

At the exchange she said hubby thought there was still some gas in there after all!

Weighing it and deducting the empty weight found on the neck it probably is a little over half full.

So, is there a plan 2 here? Like a useful gas bottle type adapter I can buy that would have a life beyond my one time application for 3.2kg of butane?

Or stick with pan 1 and just exchange the part full 7kg for the propane 6kg I'd prefer?

!! Not wasting gas on exchanges was meant to be what plan 1 achieved....

Our MH has a vehicle mounted regulator and an existing 6kg Calor propane bottle.

We don't expect to get a financial benefit from refillable for decades with our new portable home...

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I think I need to parts: a propane pol to butane thread adaptor and a push on part for the butane bottle.

The first part is coming in at about £10, so if the bits I need to buy to get out the last of the butane will not be any use for other applications I need to just ignore the gas I got and exchange the bottle for what I need.

accs-024.png

:eek: luckily for the size of my post I couldn't quickly find a pick of the press on bottle thing

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You might as well just go for refillable and be done with it especially if you are thinking of heading to Europe. Our Swift had Calor bottles and it was always a pain when one ran out. Refillable are much easier you just top them up. We run with two and when one runs out we start looking for somewhere to get it filled.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I know it's a dearer option but I have fitted one refillable alongside and in parallel with my 6kg Calor bottle. In that way I'm certain to have gas here or 'over there'. I keep the Calor bottle turned off and use it just to tide me over if the refillable runs out. I installed the system myself in 45 minutes (including a brew).
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 004.JPG

My local and large BP station on a main road is being refurbished and when completed will no longer have a gas 'pump'. I do wonder if this is going to be BP's national policy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This query won’t go away any time soon - sorry.
With a 95% full propane bottle fitted I’ve too much time to toss ideas around and fill knowledge gaps.

Currently my bulkhead regulator has a pigtail for the propane bottle.
Is adding the spare butane bottle - that unexpectedly came half full instead of empty - as simple as adding a butane pigtail?

is a Calor butane compatible pigtail useful when we are ready to go abroad? Or just a 2nd UK only option?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It will just be a 2nd UK only option. Probably not worth buying it just to use up the bit of gas you've got unexpectedly. Just go with Plan 1 and swap it for a Propane bottle. Butane is no good in low temperatures anyway.

Denise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yep. Stick to the original plan.
I don't want to buy extra bits for a one off usage.

Tnx Denise & the others that contributed.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Some gas cylinder providers mix propane and butane depending on the time off year.
Can’t remember which but one of the gases burns slightly hotter.
Propane gasifies at a colder temperature so is better in colder weather.
Depends if you can find a cheap gas tail for the butane, to make it worth the bother.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back