upweighting from 3880k to ... (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
When i bought my mercedes winchcombe late 22 I noticed it was lurching around like a drunk at sea, so i changed the rear shock absorbers and it was much better but I am still not happy about how sad the back end looks, we all know the suspension is never changed or uprated from the base vehicle and then a huge lump is dropped on the back and the suspension that is quite capable of carrying the occasional full load suddenly becomes a permanent full load of course. I have two directions -
one is to replace/upgrade the carthorse leaf springs.
Or two, to have half air suspension to prop up the back, and if i do the latter, i may as well get it officially uprated., and if so what would its payload become ?
I welcome your thoughts gentlmen.
I have just spoken to svtech and they say thay dont have the test approval for leaf springs - only air bags ... so what happens there ?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
sounds strange, is it single wheels at the back ? do you know what is the max weight on rear axle ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have just spoken to svtech and they say thay dont have the test approval for leaf springs - only air bags ... so what happens there ?

Speak to Van Weight Engineering and see what they have to say about it, plus VWE are nearly half the price of SvTech.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back