Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Try a stiff drink as well.

Damned CCC. Just been trying to book the 2 good days this week. Keswick produced:

No Accommodation.
Must be at least 3 nights.
Must be at least 5 nights.

Another site Betws-y-Coed, I click book. I get a different web site, it says "Member Log In", I log in. It then asks for all my details.

They don't make it easy. Stuff 'em, we'll just drive into Southport. Cheap cheerful and a great town.
Try ringing them direct at the Keswick site our pitch last week was next to the gate and I could hear the conversations of people arriving late without a booking and they all got on . I think you will be ok as long as you don't get the two wardens I had a run in with ,lol

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Maybe they are missing a trick. Quite a few members would pay an enhanced membership fee for a card that allows say 5 dumps/waterfills a year.
I have to go every day..... 5 a year is just not enough...:D:D:D

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When we were on North Uist in June staying at Balranald Campsite a van turned up but the site was full, the site owner allowed them to dump and refill for a fiver. Not a bad deal for both parties methinks. Can recommend the campsite, great place to stop a couple of nights.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Over the years i have often thought that when they build these big Ind estates,they could build in a basic toilet/shower block on site,perhaps the local councils/land barons might be able to help more,just an idea,plenty of access day and night,result.

Thanks (y)I was just thinking even the smallest / poorest village in France often has a facilitiy for this so how expensive is it really? Just thinking allowed really?!

We did used to have them..... They were called public toilets..! They used to be in every village and town and if I remember rightly weren't too bad to use..:eek:

But then came the lack of morals and respect brigade and used them for drug dens, graffiti walls and smash em up prats....( I won't mention the perverts)

So the council stopped repairing and government cuts have put paid to them.... I suspect the same would happen with anything else that was left out in the cold of the night....:unsure:

I despair.....(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But then came the lack of morals and respect brigade and used them for drug dens, graffiti walls and smash em up prats...
And, unfortunately, it wasn't just those people. In some cases public toilets have been locked because of abuse by motorhomers (e.g. not being careful when emptying cassettes or emptying cassettes containing chemicals into toilets which have septic tanks). There have been a number of reports in threads over the years :(

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
Free herbs at the CC site at Castleton!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
View attachment 121171 Free herbs at the CC site at Castleton!!
This sort of thing @Anthea M is becoming more and more frequent at many of both club sites ,.at Totnes there was even,a basket of tomatoes and some courgettes .just a sign saying please help yourself. Nice touch from the wardens ...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
This sort of thing @Anthea M is becoming more and more frequent at many of both club sites ,.at Totnes there was even,a basket of tomatoes and some courgettes .just a sign saying please help yourself. Nice touch from the wardens ...
Yes I like it too , the wardens love their flowers at Castleton and the entrance was amazing! I forgot to take a picture!
I would have used some but we were eating out!!:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.at Totnes there was even,a basket of tomatoes and some courgettes .just a sign saying please help yourself. Nice touch from the wardens ...

you can find tomatoes growing wild at sewage plants .. seeds from human waste... makes you wonder .. :sick:

anywhere near the Elsan point ? :eek::LOL:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
you can find tomatoes growing wild at sewage plants .. seeds from human waste... makes you wonder .. :sick:

anywhere near the Elsan point ? :eek::LOL:
Trust you to put a damper on it Jim..go and have a lie down in the shade .. ...with a cheese and tomato sandwich...lol

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 121171 Free herbs at the CC site at Castleton!!

Make sure you check it for dog doo doo.

That's the site where the warder didn't see anything wrong or unusual in people not picking up after their dogs when I told her that someone had let their dog do its business next to my van and then walked away and left it.

That incident is the biggest single reason why I am so anti the CC

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Make sure you check it for dog doo doo.

That's the site where the warder didn't see anything wrong or unusual in people not picking up after their dogs when I told her that someone had let their dog do its business next to my van and then walked away and left it.

That incident is the biggest single reason why I am so anti the CC
And there was me thinking it was having to park with the side of van lined up with the post that was the main reason ,besides of course their warder outfits machine gun posts ..lol .hahahaha .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And there was me thinking it was having to park with the side of van lined up with the post that was the main reason ,besides of course their warder outfits machine gun posts ..lol .hahahaha .

Nah, I always ignored that when it was Norman's day off anyway (y)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Yes I like it too , the wardens love their flowers at Castleton and the entrance was amazing! I forgot to take a picture!
I would have used some but we were eating out!!:LOL:
We were there from Tuesday to today.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Having been a member of the CC for twenty five years and got the badge, I decided to part company with them in June this year after reading and hearing of the treatment metered out to members. Have'nt been on a CC site since I don't know when and the advantages, if there are any, of being a member, just ain't worth fretting about. It is just a big business set up now, and it certainly seems to me the considerations of members is way down the list of priorities.
Happy and safe travels to us all. Ed.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Having been a member of the CC for twenty five years and got the badge, I decided to part company with them in June this year after reading and hearing of the treatment metered out to members. Have'nt been on a CC site since I don't know when and the advantages, if there are any, of being a member, just ain't worth fretting about. It is just a big business set up now, and it certainly seems to me the considerations of members is way down the list of priorities.
Happy and safe travels to us all. Ed.
Well put Ed, and it's for the same reasons that we parted company with them after 25 x years membership (never did get the badge though ;) ) and went back to the MCC. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't know when and the advantages, if there are any, of being a member,

Form us, the main advantage of membership is access to the CL network.. biggest in the UK .. our first choice when looking for a site, rarely are we disappointed..

They also give decent discount on Ferry bookings.

In our tugging days in the 80s and 90s we used them for overseas site bookings and Red Pennant travel and breakdown insurance.. this was long before the internet and all you had to do was call their booking service..

Rarely use Club sites now due to them being relatively expensive .. but they do have Summer savers.. an example..
Kinlochewe (Scotland)
2 adults + pitch

£17.00 £11.90 21 Apr - 2 Oct
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21915

Not a Club lover or hater .. just a satisfied life long member.

If you don't want any of these benefits then no reason to be a member.. simple.

Last edited:

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
C club are not very good imo. Just back from Blackpool with caravanner friends who were staying one night more than us. I asked if we could stay at couple of hours extra with payment but we're told no too busy. I said I would go on car park to empty the pitch but no it was for cars! We left and got a message from said friends that there were at least 20 empty pitches that night! Also bad attitude on booking in. So we are both considering not renewing our membership now

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Form us, the main advantage of membership is access to the CL network.
That's the only reason we renewed this year (our 10th) but it is a "just in case" rather than first choice when looking for somewhere. The last time we used a CL was 2 years ago and that was because it was in the village where my brother lives.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We stay members because of specific sites we like to stay on. For ibstance the Bristol site and the cirecester one. We have used the sites in other parts of the country because it is easy to book and change dates etc. All ways foubd them to be freindly and helpful my self.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Excuse the ramblings of a novice, and please correct me if I'm wrong ... but are not most of these sites just people trying to make a living? Presumably there's a deal between the clubs and them to let members on cheaper or exclusively, but I doubt any real money changes hands towards the sites anyway.

Why should they provide anything to club members that turn up for freebies? That is probably nowhere in the agreement at all.

If the site has vacancies then why not just book in for the night, use the facilities and then leave without the staying overnight part? Then it's you that has to be generous and not them.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I've said it before...

The clue is in the name: Caravan Club

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Excuse the ramblings of a novice, and please correct me if I'm wrong ... but are not most of these sites just people trying to make a living? Presumably there's a deal between the clubs and them to let members on cheaper or exclusively, but I doubt any real money changes hands towards the sites anyway.

Why should they provide anything to club members that turn up for freebies? That is probably nowhere in the agreement at all.

If the site has vacancies then why not just book in for the night, use the facilities and then leave without the staying overnight part? Then it's you that has to be generous and not them.

Most if not all of the club sites are owned or rebted by the club. The wardens are employed on a salary from the club. It cost them personally nothing to allow someone to empty/fillmup with water, but does cost the coub something.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not all sites are owned or rented by the Club, try Newcastleton, a wonderful site with great owners, or North Ledaig for a larger site, privately owned but been there forever. It's a bit like hotel chains, when I worked we used the same chain as the company had a deal with them, most were good, some were awful but a few were brilliant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back