LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Totally agree Jim you get nothing for free, if it was integrated in the membership cost and the facilities were in place for members to take advantage of it would it be great, however, I don't think the demand is there....

But we did not want it for free as well as being members we offered to pay for water.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Totally agree Jim you get nothing for free, if it was integrated in the membership cost and the facilities were in place for members to take advantage of it would it be great, however, I don't think the demand is there....

Yes I doubt they would give in without some sort of payment, but once a surcharge is paid a clip punch made in your membership card or a similar card would stop people using the facility more than is reasonable. They could do it, but maybe you are right when you say the demand isn't there.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
you get nothing for free,

Oh yes you do...

...and if anyone thinks that it is reasonable behaviour, in a remote part of Scotland, to deny a... shall we say "mature" couple... a bit of water, which they are willing to pay for, then they have a different concept of human decency and consideration to me.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Even if you don't get satisfaction & an immediate change to a policy - it is always worth writing in to voice your dissatisfaction IMHO... if any organisation gets enough 'feedback' about a service they do/don't provide they may change their minds and your one email could be the very one to tip the balance.

Playing devil's advocate - I can sort of see their point of view.
By offering such a facility at £7, they'd be discouraging motorhomers from using the site to pitch at £30 because it makes it easy to dump/fill then wildcamp.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are members of the CC because we like some of the their site locations. Some wardens are jobs worths, how would head office know if a warden allowed someone to take water! The club could charge a small fee for the water to members if they are worried about costs. But to refuse someone miles from no where because of rules is shocking!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Over the years I have begun to realise that if the CC do it one way the C&CC will do it differently, just look at their websites. As the C&CC allow dumping of waste and soil and water filling the CC in all likelihood won't entertain it.

As for not being able to find water in the north of Scotland it's got water everywhere, possibly the wettest part of the UK. Most cemeteries have a tap, all garages do and every hundred yards there's a burn. We take our watering can down to the burn and fill it, when I camped as a youth that's where water came from.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
You do not say how much the site charged you for the water and dump or was it free

Neil

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Oh yes you do...

...and if anyone thinks that it is reasonable behaviour, in a remote part of Scotland, to deny a... shall we say "mature" couple... a bit of water, which they are willing to pay for, then they have a different concept of human decency and consideration to me.

JJ :cool:
Well put JJ especially when water I free in Scotland and lots of it
Bill

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I find that asking for a "Flask" of water at any house,nearly allways got me a full flask,even when in the lorry.
I know the poster hoped to stay at Bunree and it was full,however,a phone call could have found that out,isn't there a facility where you can ring a CC number to check ?,even the site itself.
Has there been a lot of "Wild campers" calling in,(Members of the CC).to use the services,water,showers,leccy,loo dump etc ? This means,that the "Grumpy/Power mad" Warden,have to stop haranguing Their "Prisoners? LOL",and go and check that the visitors to the site,how shall i put this...Don't leave,with items they did not arrive with .
Even this "Just dropping in" incurs a cost,so,do you charge the callers,or,spread it among the members,this means,that "Tuggers" who use sites,and are held in such high regard among some m/homers,will be subsidising you,me,us. Lobby the Club,try and get a price,then work out which is cheapest,to Forage,or pay.
A m/home,will go nowhere,without fuel,so you keep your eye on the fuel gauge,and,you cannot make a cup of tea without water. I have run out of diesel in my travels,so even i am not perfect. We have a 100 ltr fresh water tank,and when running in the afternoon,try to keep this at 50ltrs full,but allways have a 15 ltr container full at all times,and refill this asp after use.
Tea Bag. Dib,dib,dib,Dob dob dob. ( Still smiling and whistling...Tunelessly LOL)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham we did at several shows, the message still did not get through (don't know why it's underlined) :)
Thanks Carol. Might just try it for devilment at Lincoln and/or NEC :)
You must have caught the U button to underline your text :)
Most cemeteries have a tap,
I sometimes wonder how long such taps will be left accessible with the increase in off site camping. I've seen one or two reports complaining about roadside camping where it was mentioned that people took water from taps installed for private use. If LAs start to find their bills rising in times of cutbacks they may well shut off such taps out of working hours.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
How much would it cost to put a borne type thing like French aires have near the entrance to sites? At a £2 cost so people needing water filling up and emptying cassettes can do so then move on.especially in Scotland.
Just an idea Caravan Club.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Playing devil's advocate - I can sort of see their point of view.
By offering such a facility at £7, they'd be discouraging motorhomers from using the site to pitch at £30 because it makes it easy to dump/fill then wildcamp.

And worse, these places usually do not have good access, to encourage more traffic would inconvenience the staff and members who would soon kick up a fuss.

It's the British way, if you want better treatment go abroad.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I sometimes wonder how long such taps will be left accessible with the increase in off site camping. I've seen one or two reports complaining about roadside camping where it was mentioned that people took water from taps installed for private use. If LAs start to find their bills rising in times of cutbacks they may well shut off such taps out of working hours.

Wild campers add those free water points to maps to share with hundreds of others. Of course water is not free anymore and someone somewhere is paying for it. So you are right, the more well known the 'free' water points become the chances of losing them increase.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Many other outlets available ......

image.png

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We're not far away, you can empty your cassette and I'll even give you a cucumber( see cucumber thread)::bigsmile:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I agree with a number on this thread that are basically saying its a Caravan Site not a Service Point.
We are CC Members and stay on Club sites quite often,however,I personally have never used the Shower/Toilet facilities never ever, my MH provides,however, I wouldn't think of asking for a discount on Site Fees,it's sort of the opposite of this thread, I pay to use the site but not the facilities.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
We're not far away, you can empty your cassette and I'll even give you a cucumber( see cucumber thread)::bigsmile:
Hy kcy.
I thought it should be emptied onto..... Rhubarb..... I will now look at Cucumbers with suspicion.
Tea Bag

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
,I personally have never used the Shower/Toilet facilities never ever

I suggest you give them a try, they are infinitely better than even the best MHs can offer. We judge a site by it's showers.

And any day, I prefer a satisfying "plop" rather than a dull "thud".

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I suggest you give them a try, they are infinitely better than even the best MHs can offer. We judge a site by it's showers.

And any day, I prefer a satisfying "plop" rather than a dull "thud".
And again we agree !, I need to have a lie down ..lol..seriously though I use sites firstly for location and secondly for the superb facilities that are available.Roy

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
How much would it cost to put a borne type thing like French aires have near the entrance to sites? At a £2 cost so people needing water filling up and emptying cassettes can do so then move on.especially in Scotland.
Just an idea Caravan Club.
Hi.
CC. Pay for planning,installation,lighting and upkeep,keeping an eye on it day and night,(Who does it outside NORMAL LOL office hours.Emergency bell... "Have you got change/Its broken..." LOL ).Good idea,but how long would it take to get the money back ? empying etc.Water turned off in the winter?
Over the years i have often thought that when they build these big Ind estates,they could build in a basic toilet/shower block on site,perhaps the local councils/land barons might be able to help more,just an idea,plenty of access day and night,result.
This is just an idea,not a pop at you.
Tea Bag

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And again we agree !, I need to have a lie down .Roy

Try a stiff drink as well.

Damned CCC. Just been trying to book the 2 good days this week. Keswick produced:

No Accommodation.
Must be at least 3 nights.
Must be at least 5 nights.

Another site Betws-y-Coed, I click book. I get a different web site, it says "Member Log In", I log in. It then asks for all my details.

They don't make it easy. Stuff 'em, we'll just drive into Southport. Cheap cheerful and a great town.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi.
CC. Pay for planning,installation,lighting and upkeep,keeping an eye on it day and night,(Who does it outside NORMAL LOL office hours.Emergency bell... "Have you got change/Its broken..." LOL ).Good idea,but how long would it take to get the money back ? empying etc.Water turned off in the winter?
Over the years i have often thought that when they build these big Ind estates,they could build in a basic toilet/shower block on site,perhaps the local councils/land barons might be able to help more,just an idea,plenty of access day and night,result.
This is just an idea,not a pop at you.
Tea Bag
Thanks (y)I was just thinking even the smallest / poorest village in France often has a facilitiy for this so how expensive is it really? Just thinking allowed really?!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi.
I find that asking for a "Flask" of water at any house,nearly allways got me a full flask,even when in the lorry.
I know the poster hoped to stay at Bunree and it was full,however,a phone call could have found that out,isn't there a facility where you can ring a CC number to check ?,even the site itself.
Has there been a lot of "Wild campers" calling in,(Members of the CC).to use the services,water,showers,leccy,loo dump etc ? This means,that the "Grumpy/Power mad" Warden,have to stop haranguing Their "Prisoners? LOL",and go and check that the visitors to the site,how shall i put this...Don't leave,with items they did not arrive with .
Even this "Just dropping in" incurs a cost,so,do you charge the callers,or,spread it among the members,this means,that "Tuggers" who use sites,and are held in such high regard among some m/homers,will be subsidising you,me,us. Lobby the Club,try and get a price,then work out which is cheapest,to Forage,or pay.
A m/home,will go nowhere,without fuel,so you keep your eye on the fuel gauge,and,you cannot make a cup of tea without water. I have run out of diesel in my travels,so even i am not perfect. We have a 100 ltr fresh water tank,and when running in the afternoon,try to keep this at 50ltrs full,but allways have a 15 ltr container full at all times,and refill this asp after use.
Tea Bag. Dib,dib,dib,Dob dob dob. ( Still smiling and whistling...Tunelessly LOL)

I did not start this thread the OP asked a question, I just replied to the thread, as for phoning ahead we did try the site but got no answer.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
I did not start this thread the OP asked a question, I just replied to the thread, as for phoning ahead we did try the site but got no answer.
Hi.
My post was just a general observation,not aimed at anyone,its what i have done,phoned up the CC offices or site,and travel with a minimum of 15 ltrs.
The references to site wardens was tongue in cheek,i have found them all to be very good,whenever we have pulled in,sorry if i have given you offence.
Tea Bag

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks (y)I was just thinking even the smallest / poorest village in France often has a facilitiy for this so how expensive is it really? Just thinking allowed really?!
Different systems of management - and behaviour - I suspect. How long before a tap on an industrial estate was left running and the other facilities were vandalised by the local ne'er do wells?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The Caravan club benefits can be found here..
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/benefits

I don't think being a member of the caravan club gives you any other special status.
I'm glad you've quoted that because I can up all the £48.00 I'll be saving. Been a member of both clubs but now none and I don't have to take pot luck with the wardens. Independent are much better IMHO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back