Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
Followed the crowd this week and bought a Ring RAC900 tyre inflator (after discovering that I'm not heavy enough to use my footpump at 4bar+). I also bought a JACO 7 bar pressure gauge which will not only cope with the pressures on Bert but also, thanks to the swivel fitting on the hose, with the two cars and two motorcycles in our stable.
It all works fine but I'm a bit dismayed at the difference between the pressure shown on the RAC900 gauge and that shown on the JACO. According to the guff that came with it the JACO is "Certified Accurate to ANSI Grade B40.1 (±2-3%)".
The difference is about 0.5 bar which is not insignificant, with the JACO reading lowest. At the moment I'm more inclined to believe the JACO but...
Has anyone else compared their "RAC900" gauge with anything else? (not including filling station gauges which are notoriously innaccurate!)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We are looking for a new inflator for Maxine as we are using an elderly one from Halfords (£1 from car boot) still works but is starting to struggle a 5bar
plus the electronic tyre gauge we have shows at least a 15lb/sq" difference

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I never take the inflator gauge as accurate, for the simple reason that the process of unscrewing the inflator hose loses quite a few psi. Not so bad for MH tyres, but for motorbike and pedal bike tyres it can be substantial. I usually inflate to about 5 psi or 0.5 bar above the required pressure, then use a separate gauge to check the pressure. By pushing the gauge on slowly to release a burst of air, I can gradually drop the pressure down to the required value.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
I to would be interested how others have found the accuracy of their Ring RAC900. Not tested mine against anything but have a feeling whatever you test against there will always be a difference. I think only way to get as near as possible to correct pressure is to take van to a reputable tyre place and get them to check, I believe there gauges have to be calibrated quite often so the correct pressure is put into the tyres they sell.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I made the mistake of buying a couple of those Ring digital inflators from the likes of Halfords, I would be on my third by now if I didn't have one supplied by the MH manufacture in the garage.
Strange thing is they work, you put them away in the boot, then when you get them out again they dont work!, mysterious eh?
I do like the the look of the Ring RAC900, its a lot more heavy duty, and its analogue, so less to go wrong. They seem expensive at £99.99 but I guess you get what you pay for, hope its got a decent warranty like 2 years or more.
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Halfords digital rapid one I had went BANG and died. The Halfords digital pressure guage stopped working in very cold temperatures so that went to the tip as well.

Very happy now with the Ring 900 (although the built in pressure guage is not accurate) and separate Draper analogue pressure guage for final adjustments.

It seems important not to let the Ring compressor overheat. I allow mine to cool down for a few minutes between inflating each tyre.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I never take the inflator gauge as accurate, for the simple reason that the process of unscrewing the inflator hose loses quite a few psi. Not so bad for MH tyres, but for motorbike and pedal bike tyres it can be substantial. I usually inflate to about 5 psi or 0.5 bar above the required pressure, then use a separate gauge to check the pressure. By pushing the gauge on slowly to release a burst of air, I can gradually drop the pressure down to the required value.
Just how I do it(y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
No problems with my RAC900. Pressure up then adjust pressure down using handheld digital gauge. Also check against computer readings on our cars and adjust to averages. Not too concerned with being super accurate, works for me(y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I use a digital pressure gauge to check the family tyres before inflating.
I’ve found the ring 900 to be very accurate against the digital.
Invariably one or more of the tyres need more air so I tend to rely on just the ring..
I tend to use @autorouter method and overinflate the van by about 5lb to allow for loss take the inflator off.
Can’t remember the name of the digital, but paid a reasonable amount for it.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Our local tyre dealer checks my tyres, including pressures, for free before any major outing. They complain about garage gauges and I occasionally buy tyres from them if they are the cheapest.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I always over inflate slightly & then use a descent tyre pressure gauge to reduce pressure to correct reading

My £12.99 Lidl compressor works really well (only need 4.5 bar for my moho) if a little slow. The gauge on it tends to read slightly low, but for 65 psi I inflate until the gauge reads 70 and normally let out a few psi to 65 with my descent gauge - job done

I still have a Halfords one I purchased in 1991 - I used it to inflate one of my unicycle tyres to 80 psi. It would take a while but worked ok. No good for bigger tyres though. I gave it to my nieghbour when I purchased the Lidl one, he uses regularly for his kids bikes

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I always over inflate slightly & then use a descent tyre pressure gauge to reduce pressure to correct reading

My £12.99 Lidl compressor works really well (only need 4.5 bar for my moho) if a little slow. The gauge on it tends to read slightly low, but for 65 psi I inflate until the gauge reads 70 and normally let out a few psi to 65 - job done

I still have a Halfords one I purchased in 1991 - I used it to inflate one of my unicycle tyres to 80 psi. It would take a while but worked ok. No good for bigger tyres though. I gave it to my nieghbour when I purchased the Lidl one, he uses regularly for his kids bikes

“one of my unicycle tyres” PMSL (y):rofl::rofl:

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I saw a guy on a unicycle ride the whole way up Mont Ventoux in Provence, from Bedoin to the summit - 20 km or so!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I saw a guy on a unicycle ride the whole way up Mont Ventoux in Provence, from Bedoin to the summit - 20 km or so!

Yep, mountain unicycling ('Muni' for short) is quite popular amongst unicyclist

@ABZSteve - we run those unicycle tyres at 25 psi or less:)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Very happy now with the Ring 900 (although the built in pressure guage is not accurate) and separate Draper analogue pressure guage for final adjustments.

Same for us but Ring 900 pressure compares closely with the Draper (1 - 2 lbsq +/-).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back