Ubunti 18.04 wifi

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MyrtleGuru, Oct 28, 2018.

1. MyrtleGuru

MyrtleGuru Funster

Ratings:
    +431
    Now I'm a big fan of Linux, and definitely not a Windows fan. and ambivalent towards Android/iOS/macOS.

But recently trying to get wifi working under Ubunti 18.04 has been driving me mad.

I was trying to repurpose an old MSI Wind Box DC11. I thought its small size and 500GB hard drive would make it a suitable addition to the van to serve as a media centre.
    windbox.jpeg

An internet connection would be desirable although not essential, as the content would largely be stored on the hard drive. However, can I get the wifi to work? No, I can't.

The internal wifi device is a Realtek 8188CE, which seems to be poorly supported in Ubuntu.

I wonder if there is a USB wifi dongle that works out of the box under Ubuntu 18.04 or if I should be trying a different Linux distro.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,354
    I keep saying this -- Linux Mint.

3. MyrtleGuru

MyrtleGuru Funster

Ratings:
    +431
    Yes, I might as well give that a bash!

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,354
    It's free and I've got at least 4 running here and never a problem.

I suppose you might just have an oddball PC to prove me wrong.

5. MyrtleGuru

MyrtleGuru Funster

Ratings:
    +431
    Well that was a bit of a palaver.

Decided to try Mint.. and it's rather nice, so sticking with that.

Wifi still didn't work though. Decided the internal wifi device was poorly supported under Linux, so spent a few quid on a USB wifi device (tp-link WN823N).

Still didn't work out of the box though. The internal wifi device could not be turned off in the bios, so I blacklisted the driver (rtl8192ce).

The driver that Mint installed for the USB wifi (rtl8xxxu) didn't work -- I could see the wifi networks but could not establish a connection.

So I blacklisted that one and built a new driver (rtl8192eu) using instructions from here:

https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

I now have a nice useful box to stick in the van.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1