Tyre Life (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I know that we are recommended to replace MH tyres at around five years old, irregardless of tread depth remaining.

But imagine this scenario, you have a spare tyre, bought from new, never been used and it was stored hanging off the ground, on a rim, inflated to correct pressure and always out of sunlight, does the above rule still apply ?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
That's better than no spare at all, but I would treat it as a get-us-out-of-an-emergency tyre and get it changed for a new one at the next opportunity. Meanwhile if actually used to replace a punctured tyre, stick to restricted speed and no harsh braking or cornering.

[editited to make more sense!]

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I believe it does not ! Tyre degradation will not take place as no UV and or wear and tear from use will take place, so tyre should be OK to use well after use by date. However, like many other experts on here IMO I'm just using my grey matter to arrive at this conclusion, without fact and if in your position I would simple put this question to a tyre manufacturer. I am aware some recommend covering and hanging from the inner ring to maintain condition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
From google ! When properly stored in a climate controlled warehouse, tires have an almost unlimited shelf life, and once they're on the road, proper care can add many years to a tire's life. "In general, we see six years of service with no more than 10 years of total life since manufacture."28 Apr 2015

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I carry a spare ,being in the garage eight years never used, but would have no problem using it if i needed to ,never being in the light so don't expect any problems.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
With a pre-owned van, even if the spare is probably one of the original factory-fitted set of tyres, it might have seen some road use. The spare on my previous camper looked a bit iffy, and the steel wheel was quite rusty from 12 years of being in a cradle underneath. Using it to replace a puncture was let's say a bit experimental so I drove warily and re-checked the tyre pressure a few times. It did hold air pressure, and got us back home to the UK so that was a big plus.

The insurers of the French tanker truck that caused our puncture paid for 2 new tyres (French rules apply) so the other used front tyre that still had some life left became the spare and we got a matching pair of new front tyres. And the steel wheel got a bit of antirust and a coat of silver paint.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I believe it does not ! Tyre degradation will not take place as no UV and or wear and tear from use will take place, so tyre should be OK to use well after use by date. However, like many other experts on here IMO I'm just using my grey matter to arrive at this conclusion, without fact and if in your position I would simple put this question to a tyre manufacturer. I am aware some recommend covering and hanging from the inner ring to maintain condition.

Nope.
The rubber compounds used in tyre manufacture begin to degrade the instant that the tyre leaves the autoclave mould and is in contact with air.
That is why you should never accept a "new" tyre which has a manufacture week/year 4 digit code more than 6 months previously.

It's rate of degradation will be accelerated by exposure to sunlight, but it is not "steady state", but is ageing even when not so exposed.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I simply use the best of the tyres I'm changing as a spare. I would only use a spare to get me to the nearest tyre place anyway - so taking a little extra care is no big deal.

Deleted User
I know that we are recommended to replace MH tyres at around five years old, irregardless of tread depth remaining.

But imagine this scenario, you have a spare tyre, bought from new, never been used and it was stored hanging off the ground, on a rim, inflated to correct pressure and always out of sunlight, does the above rule still apply ?
This is obviously not advice just my personal position. There is no way on this earth I would throw that tyre away, especially as its planned use is only as a spare and most likely will never be called upon, it sounds absolutely perfect.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Nope.
The rubber compounds used in tyre manufacture begin to degrade the instant that the tyre leaves the autoclave mould and is in contact with air.
That is why you should never accept a "new" tyre which has a manufacture week/year 4 digit code more than 6 months previously.

It's rate of degradation will be accelerated by exposure to sunlight, but it is not "steady state", but is ageing even when not so exposed.
The original poster did state that the tyre would be stored out of sunlight and Manufacturers state tyre life is extended if correctly stored.
Agree with you about buying tyres under 6 months old simply on the basis that most motorhomes change their tyres on time rather than wear.

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Why on earth would you have a perfectly good unused tyre as a spare ..surely you would rotate them depending on the vans usage ..I certainly do and all the tyres are pretty much in the same state of wear. Next year I will be replacing 4 of my Michelin X CPs due to wear not age keeping the best one as a spare slung underneath. The recommendations by the manufaturer are just that recommendations if the walls are not cracked or damaged and the tread is sound why would you want to change them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our tyres don't get a chance to be thrown away with usable tread depth on them ... by the time ours get to 2 years old they'll have 20,000 miles on! We rotate our tyres to get the best wear out of them too, no point having a spare with good tread stuck underneath when our other 'used' wheels are wearing low, better to keep one with less tread as the spare and make use of the 'new' unused one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back