TV question and I promise I am not trolling!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
My van has an old Avtex tv/dvd doofer fitted and linked to the Oyster thingybob on the roof. All good after a thread the other day!!

Now I don't have any 12v sockets in the van! the Avtex is directly connected to a 12v feed coming out of the TV cables in the van (scart, red and white thing etc)

I do have an inverter that the freesat box/sky box plugs into.

I'm looking to add a separate TV into the van which will be used when at sites or on EHU and I'm leaning towards a standard 32 inch HDTV. I cant see the benefit in buying a 12v version all i need to do is find somewhere to put the bugger! Im working on a plan to hang it off the drop down bed (idea stolen from Martin (Funflair)

Am I missing something by not getting a 12v thingy?

Paul

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My van has an old Avtex tv/dvd doofer fitted and linked to the Oyster thingybob on the roof. All good after a thread the other day!!

Now I don't have any 12v sockets in the van! the Avtex is directly connected to a 12v feed coming out of the TV cables in the van (scart, red and white thing etc)

I do have an inverter that the freesat box/sky box plugs into.

I'm looking to add a separate TV into the van which will be used when at sites or on EHU and I'm leaning towards a standard 32 inch HDTV. I cant see the benefit in buying a 12v version all i need to do is find somewhere to put the bugger! Im working on a plan to hang it off the drop down bed (idea stolen from Martin (Funflair)

Am I missing something by not getting a 12v thingy?

Paul
I'm not completely sure I've understood the question but it will use more power if its mains through an inverter.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A standard non 12v TV, working mains only, you will most likely find cheaper and more choice..
Only negative I can see is that the Inverter will take a little extra power over and above the TV's own power use, this is easily checked on the TV's label. Maybe up to 20% depending on the quality of the Inverter.

So imagine a 32 LED TV uses 55 watts. add on 20% ish for inverter loss..
Around say 65watts divide by 12v = 5.4 amps ish..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Sorry I rushed the post!

im putting a second tv in van. Will I miss anything if I just use a bog standard 32 inch. It Will likely only ever be used while I have 240v

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does the "old Avtex" do the decoding of the satellite signal, if so you won't get sat on the domestic 32inch, so what signal will you be using?

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Does the "old Avtex" do the decoding of the satellite signal, if so you won't get sat on the domestic 32inch, so what signal will you be using?
No, I’ve got A Freesat box and a sky had box available. To be honest, I’ll likely only use this one with a fire stick/Xbox/Apple TV.
my plan is to steal your under The drop down bed idea but using a frame thing under the mattress with a drop down locking tv Bracket. I can then either leave it attached permanently or remove it for travel

it sounds good in my head anyway!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Do you have 240v 3 pin sockets, if so you can run the new mains tv through that and no need to use invertor. As said before far more choice of TVs if you go down the non 12v route.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Do you have 240v 3 pin sockets, if so you can run the new mains tv through that and no need to use invertor. As said before far more choice of TVs if you go down the non 12v route.
Apart from the inverter socket, no, I have 240 2 pin jobbies. I'm going to change those to 3 pin later this week and probably increase the run to a further 3. I just need to work out where I want them and figure out the cabling. Unfortunately, I have great ideas backed up with a modicum of knowledge coupled with pretty bad DIY skills which can result in some poor professional; at a later date scratching his head!!!

One case in point was when I moved into my current house, I wanted about 6 extra double sockets in one part of the house so instead of faffing with the current ring or adding a new one, I added a 4mm2 radial circuit instead as I couldn't be bothered running standard 2mm wire back to the consumer unit. That caused a few looks when I needed a new consumer unit and a sparky came round. Technically I was correct but I guess it wasn't the norm.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Apart from the inverter socket, no, I have 240 2 pin jobbies. I'm going to change those to 3 pin later this week and probably increase the run to a further 3. I just need to work out where I want them and figure out the cabling. Unfortunately, I have great ideas backed up with a modicum of knowledge coupled with pretty bad DIY skills which can result in some poor professional; at a later date scratching his head!!!

One case in point was when I moved into my current house, I wanted about 6 extra double sockets in one part of the house so instead of faffing with the current ring or adding a new one, I added a 4mm2 radial circuit instead as I couldn't be bothered running standard 2mm wire back to the consumer unit. That caused a few looks when I needed a new consumer unit and a sparky came round. Technically I was correct but I guess it wasn't the norm.
Ok, based on what you have said, get a qualified electrician into do the mains voltage stuff, you could kill yourself, others or worse blow your van up 😱😱😱😱😱

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Ok, based on what you have said, get a qualified electrician into do the mains voltage stuff, you could kill yourself, others or worse blow your van up 😱😱😱😱😱
The sad thing is....I am qualified!!!

Let me caveat that with I am Part P and 17th edition qualified. I'm fully capable on the electrics etc (albeit a tad rusty but i have my books to fall back on). I was referring to making holes in stuff for sockets etc that will no doubt end up squint as im a bit pump at cutting holes!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Sorry I rushed the post!

im putting a second tv in van. Will I miss anything if I just use a bog standard 32 inch. It Will likely only ever be used while I have 240v
At 32 inches the other site uses won't miss 'owt either.
It will work just like at home.
Phil

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
To add to the debate, which of these would be the best option to hold a tv ?

Amazon product ASIN B00KW37NMS
or

ort are they both the same in essence?

Many thanks

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Well as usual, I went off at a complete tangent!!!!!

Chinned off the idea of an extra TV and went with this instead!!

20201017_100815.jpg

Firestick plugged into a mini projector (that also powers the firestick) onto a collapsible 40inch screen and using my Bluetooth speaker for better sound.

I was toying with fixing a 120 inch screen to my front window blind.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back