TV in Spain using UK SIM card (1 Viewer)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I seem to remember reading on this forum that you can get UK TV in Spain using a phone with a UK SIM card. Has anyone actually done this with a Three SIM and which Spanish partner did they use?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It would prob use a lot of data

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I seem to remember reading on this forum that you can get UK TV in Spain using a phone with a UK SIM card. Has anyone actually done this with a Three SIM and which Spanish partner did they use?
Yes, we have, but can't remember which provider as the settings were on roaming, ie, whichever provider allowed a 3G connection.
1 x hour of UK TV, uses up 1Gb of data. Three had a 19Gb limit in Europe, which I believe has now been extended to 25Gb per month, whereas the Vodafone contract we are on, doesn't limit you abroad at all in all European locations.
We used Three PAYG 12 & 24Gb sim cards successfully,before moving over to Vodafone, who appear to have a 4G connection in most (but not all) locations.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Recently got back from a trip to Spain .
Using firestick + apps and 3 data no probs getting UK TV when required,but spent more time on the sightseeing,/ beach or in a bar . (y)

Same for us and easier than faffing around with satellites, everywhere there's a phone signal there's TV. The firestick has settings to reduce the quality so using less data. All the main UK channels are on the firestick. We use our monthly 40gb phone data first then then the 3 data card if needed.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, we have, but can't remember which provider as the settings were on roaming, ie, whichever provider allowed a 3G connection.
1 x hour of UK TV, uses up 1Gb of data. Three had a 19Gb limit in Europe, which I believe has now been extended to 25Gb per month, whereas the Vodafone contract we are on, doesn't limit you abroad at all in all European locations.
We used Three PAYG 12 & 24Gb sim cards successfully,before moving over to Vodafone, who appear to have a 4G connection in most (but not all) locations.

Cheers,

Actually Vodafone has a fair use policy which states........... "Roaming data is intended for holiday use only. Not intended for roaming on a permanent or semi permanent basis"

Basically they're saying that if they think you're taking the mickey then then will charge you extra so just be careful.

O2 has a very similarly worded policy where as 3 will monitor where you use the data and then charge if you roam constantly for more than 2 months. EE I believe give you a portion of your data allowance for roaming use.

Deleted User
Actually Vodafone has a fair use policy which states........... "Roaming data is intended for holiday use only. Not intended for roaming on a permanent or semi permanent basis"

Basically they're saying that if they think you're taking the mickey then then will charge you extra so just be careful.

O2 has a very similarly worded policy where as 3 will monitor where you use the data and then charge if you roam constantly for more than 2 months. EE I believe give you a portion of your data allowance for roaming use.

Before taking out a Vodafone contract if intended use is roaming for long periods I would advise having an online chat and getting an assurance that the 2 month cut off will not be activated and then saving the conversation as proof.

I and others have done this and used data for streaming tv for long periods, downloading to iplayer in low definition uses about 800 Mb/hr, streaming uses more because I think the default is high definition.

mrhappy

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
10 years
Virgin gave me 12GB on a 100gb sim deal according to their staff but also appears to run again useage policy as well that compares data used before you go abroad to determine if you are using to much , it appears so complicated l am moving to another supplier in a month also it has limited definition of Europe to eu countries so Switzerland and others you pay full Price

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

That appears to apply only to unlimited plans/contracts.........................which is why I went for the 100Gb per month contract.

"Fair usage policy
All our Unlimited plans include a fair usage policy – so when you use your mobile data abroad in our Roam-free and Roam-further destinations, you’ll have a maximum 25GB of data per month. If you reach this 25GB data limit, you’ll have two options to get more data: either wait for your monthly plan to refresh, or buy additional roaming data. We’ll notify you by text message when you’ve used 80% of your data allowance, and again when you’ve used 100%, followed by options to buy more data. Additional data can be bought by text message at a cost of £3.95 for 1GB or £19.75 for 5GB. "

BreweryDave got it in writing from Vodafone, that he wouldn't be capped or restricted on his (at the time) 50Gb all in data, plus calls and texts contract. (y) So, if it's good enough for him and Jackie whilst fulltiming abroad, it's good enough for Rita and I. ;)

Cheers,

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Vodafone offers 50GB of data on a 30-day rolling contract for £30pm all of which can be used abroad, the 25GB limit applies only to the new 'Unlimited' plans. Sadly the 100GB (or our 115GB) SIM's are no longer available, so this data-only SIM is presently the best option for streaming in Europe.

50GB could be 50 to 100 hours worth of TV depending on the quality and the source used, BBC iPlayer etc works like at home with a UK IP address. Also, unlike Three, you can use any network in any country so you can manually roam to the best provider giving you the best signal. For Spain Three partners with Movistar and Yoigo and you can't roam to Vodafone or Orange.

I would say, anecdotally, that I'm genuinely not aware of anyone who has been cut off for extended time abroad and we do ask everyone to tell us should that be the case. Vodafone is the only network not to explicitly state the 60 days within 120 day rule instead having an almost intentionally vague "intended for holidays..." fair usage policy.

If you set your Vodafone 'Spend Cap' to £0 to then it becomes impossible for you to be charged anything in addition to your monthly fee. If you have one of the legacy 100GB SIMs is in a phone, as this includes minutes, you might like to set this instead to a nominal amount so if you break down (for example) you can still make a chargeable call.

That's not to say it remains impossible to be cut off for extended use, but up until this point, it's incredibly unlikely and there is seemingly no evidence to support it. Even with Three and EE it's very rare, but it has happened on occasion. Dare I say it, if Vodafone imposes any T&C changes after 31st October you would have grounds to cancel your contract without penalty (see .gov website on this matter).

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We tested UK pay-as-you-go GiffGaff (O2), Asda (EE) and Three SIMs in Spain last winter and could access BBC iPlayer with all of them without resorting to VPN.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
That appears to apply only to unlimited plans/contracts.........................which is why I went for the 100Gb per month contract.

"Fair usage policy
All our Unlimited plans include a fair usage policy – so when you use your mobile data abroad in our Roam-free and Roam-further destinations, you’ll have a maximum 25GB of data per month. If you reach this 25GB data limit, you’ll have two options to get more data: either wait for your monthly plan to refresh, or buy additional roaming data. We’ll notify you by text message when you’ve used 80% of your data allowance, and again when you’ve used 100%, followed by options to buy more data. Additional data can be bought by text message at a cost of £3.95 for 1GB or £19.75 for 5GB. "

BreweryDave got it in writing from Vodafone, that he wouldn't be capped or restricted on his (at the time) 50Gb all in data, plus calls and texts contract. (y) So, if it's good enough for him and Jackie whilst fulltiming abroad, it's good enough for Rita and I. ;)

Cheers,

Been living abroad since 2015, still on Vodafone U.K. contract?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If you have one of the legacy 100GB SIMs is in a phone, as this includes minutes, you might like to set this instead to a nominal amount so if you break down (for example) you can still make a chargeable call.
Thanks for the detailed explanation above Addie. (y)

Purely as a precaution, I did set a limit of £10 when I set things up. (y)

Cheers,

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi , has anybody been able to download skygo on their Firestick please :)

This is possible and there is quite a number of guides online showing you how to do this.

The issue is finding a working download link for the .apk file from a trusted source in order to enter in the download manager to download the actual android application. So you may have to try this download link in your web browser from a number of sources - it should download a file onto your computer if it works.

One quirk from doing this is that because SkyGo app was designed for a tablet, you have access to lower quality (and this less data usage) streams.

Last edited:

Lottiethehymer

Free Member
Jul 13, 2015
Northampton
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Thank you for your quick response, I have tried all that are on the net with no joy , do you know of a link I could try please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back