TV cupboard sockets in Elegance 686... what's what? (1 Viewer)

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Newbie but caravanning for years
We just bought a 2005 Elegance 686, it came with automatic Satelite dish etc, so there is a white satelite cable in the cupboard, which I assume goes into a FreeSat box we've yet to buy. I am trying to establish is what the 4 black sockets at the top/back supply?
I've looked in the manual but can't see the answer there.
Can anyone help?

Am also happy to get any views on what TV to buy that fits?
Thank you

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you buy a tv with built in sat receiver you donā€™t need a box? But be advised if you travel Europe a box is probably a good idea if you want English programmes.šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bockhamptoner

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
I can see now the two on left are 3 pin plugs but would they be just 240v when hooked up? We need 12v for the TV as most camping will not be on hook up. Any idea what the other two sockets are? Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

• sockets 2.jpeg
    sockets 2.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 84
  • sockets 1.jpeg
    sockets 1.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 90
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They are 12v sockets that take a cigarette lighter type plugšŸ˜Š
and 240v sockets either hook up or invertoršŸ‘

OP
OP
Bockhamptoner

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Fabulous, they just didn't look big enough for cigarette adaptor. Thank you.
We've had a big Hobby caravan for years so the MH is a new chapter. Our old TV is 12v but not freesat, hence i'll get a freesat box or new TV, not decided yet. The satelitte is oyster mk1, so I just bought their replacement control unit, arrives next week
thanks again

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
The two on the right of the bank of four will be 'Hella' plugs. You can buy adaptors to cover the UK 12v cigar type plugs.

The brand name for all your electrical switches/sockets is 'Berker'.

Loads on Ebay.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Might be hella style 12v sockets. A bit smaller than cig sockets. i think some prefer them to the cig socket. I would guess your 3 pins are only for ehu unless you have an inverter cleverly wired in, big solar and a significant battery bank. Someone who has the Hellas will no doubt be along soon. namwaldog beat me to it

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Might be hella style 12v sockets. A bit smaller than cig sockets. i think some prefer them to the cig socket. I would guess your 3 pins are only for ehu unless you have an inverter cleverly wired in, big solar and a significant battery bank. Someone who has the Hellas will no doubt be along soon. namwaldog beat me to it
Something like the other end to this connnector on a ā€œto cigarette socketā€ adapter?

OP
OP
Bockhamptoner

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Thanks Cush, that looks like a perfect fit!!

@all - whats EHU? and no inverter cleverly wired in nor solar. My solar panel on the caravan was 'grip filled' to the roof to stop theft and reduce number of holes needed, it's 12 years old and frankly I think it stopped charging some time back.

We have two leisure batteries in the floor and for anything over 2 nights we'd be on electric hook up, so hopefully two will run a few lights and TV :)

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Thanks Cush, that looks like a perfect fit!!

@all - whats EHU? and no inverter cleverly wired in nor solar. My solar panel on the caravan was 'grip filled' to the roof to stop theft and reduce number of holes needed, it's 12 years old and frankly I think it stopped charging some time back.

We have two leisure batteries in the floor and for anything over 2 nights we'd be on electric hook up, so hopefully two will run a few lights and TV :)

Hi Bockhamptoner

As above, EHU or electrical hook up is the mains 240 v supply in. Might be worth testing the panel as you might just need a small fix or new controller. If itā€™s old the it could be a less efficient PWM? type. Could be a worthwhile check and upgrade. good Batteries with some solar and only small demand should easily do you two days off grid dependent on the time of year.
This forum is great for empowering DIY solutions and support šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ¤“

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
anyone recomend a 12v freesat device?
Sorry canā€™t help with this one but if you have a good mobile sim data plan you can stream almost everything and donā€™t need the hardware

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We got a humax freesat box records as well, which is handy, also runs off 12v.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
You need this type of plug for your 12 volt to plug into those hella sockets. Make sure you get the positive and negative the right way round or you will blow your tv. On our 2019 Burstner the blue is positive and brown negative??

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Cool.
Which model # is that? TIA
Or is it all their STB?
Hdr1100s.

I think they all run off 12v, normally via a mains adaptor, I just cut the plug off and wired direct to 12v, worked for 2.5 yrs so far.....

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
anyone recomend a 12v freesat device?
If you donā€™t care about recording, these are small, cost effective, Freesat EPG and run on 12v with low power consumption...

Standard LNB required, not wide band LNB (per Sky Q etc)

Only potential downside for me is the lack of a power switch, but much more user friendly than the Avtex tv free to air satellite tuner EPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bockhamptoner

Bockhamptoner

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance686
Exp
Thank you for all the help BUT I've hit a problem. I bought the smaller adapter and have added a pic of the hole. How much force should it need to get the adapter into the hole as I have tried pushing pretty hard and it won't go in :(

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-05 at 19.05.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-05 at 19.05.51.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 13
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-05 at 19.07.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-05 at 19.07.39.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 15
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Fabulous, they just didn't look big enough for cigarette adaptor. Thank you.
We've had a big Hobby caravan for years so the MH is a new chapter. Our old TV is 12v but not freesat, hence i'll get a freesat box or new TV, not decided yet. The satelitte is oyster mk1, so I just bought their replacement control unit, arrives next week
thanks again
They could be the continental Hella 12volt sockets which have a prominent pin on the end, you can buy adapters (come with a red piece which twists off) which allow them also to be used with the cigar lighter sockets from cars. The advantage of the Hella type is they plug locks in place more securely than a cigar lighter type.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back