Turbo problem (1 Viewer)

Carl tomo

Free Member
Oct 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer s830
Hi all I have a hymer a class and the turbo has decided it has had enough. My problem is the engine bay is so small. Once the bonnet is open you only have about 9 inches of height to work and the turbo is at the rear of the engine out of reach and with no acces from underneath Has anybody else had this problem all help welcome as no garages are willing to take on the job . Cheers carl

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
On the Ducato, the turbo is pretty hard to even touch through a standard van bonnet. I believe garages do the work from underneath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
DavidG58 is a bit of an expert on the subject of Mercedes turbo's, long story short I think it involved dropping the gearbox to get access, from underneath of course.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes, I did indeed have this issue, 2016 but still feel the pain in my pocket, same engine very similar age

My independent garage thought it could just some associated valve ? and swapped that blind working over the top of the engine, but it didn’t sort my problem , which to be fair was intermittent 🤔

Ended going to Mertrux in Mansfield , they were very fair and agreed to charge a maximum Labour that they knew they couldn’t fix it in 🤔👍

Turns out the blind component change was very badly fitted due to access and sight I guess, but wasn’t the cause of the problem , we did need full new turbo with the actuator thingy

Auto gear box out, turbo changed from underneath , with full service at same time paid them a few £ short of £5K 😳

Good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
On the Ducato, the turbo is pretty hard to even touch through a standard van bonnet. I believe garages do the work from underneath.
The Ducato turbo is very easy to do via standard bonnet. Just done mine. 👍🏻👍🏻

Cant comment on the Mercedes though, not done one.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

I'm surprised. It's on the back of the engine, down at crank level, beneath the downward pointing exhaust manifold. I imagine you'd have to remove a lot of the guts to get to it.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone

I'm surprised. It's on the back of the engine, down at crank level, beneath the downward pointing exhaust manifold. I imagine you'd have to remove a lot of the guts to get to it.
I think there is considerable difference between working on a x250 and the twin egr x290.
Even finding the differential dpf Sensor took ages as all online info was related to x250.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
X250 is all on back of engine, and could easily do turbo swap within an hour on the roadside. Not complicated and no special tools required. Some would have you believe it’s rocket science but it’s not.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back