tunnel tomorrow afternoon, going Eastwards for a trip to ??????????? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Going off tomorrow to head for a shortish trip to Belgium and maybe further, Trouble with grotty weather though, looks wet and dismal from now on. Find out where we are going when we get there.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
At least the Tunnel will be calmer than the sea!

Enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Daughter and son in law set off early this morning to visit Xmas market in Brugge. No problems with tunnel but now stationary on motorway with no sign of this changing.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sitting in cite park Calais , very blowy andloads of others parked up here as well. The wind keeps blowing the telly off an on???? . I have legs down and it still moves a little bit. The tunnel did have a short delay following a breakdown in it. Cleared now an not busy at all only a few at the waiting area in Cheriton.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Going off tomorrow to head for a shortish trip to Belgium and maybe further, Trouble with grotty weather though, looks wet and dismal from now on. Find out where we are going when we get there.

You've convinced me, we're going to Southport. Nice and sunny there.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Sitting in Cite Europe also, arrived early this morning, it was even stormier then. You might encounter a blockade on the A16 at junction 44, we were held up there earlier for 39 minutes, quite pleasant blockaders though, never felt intimidated at all. Enjoy belgium.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
If it was me.. I would head towards Ostend and then Blankenberge along the coast... no matter what the weather walking on a beach is fantastic.. or head to Ypres... its a lovely little town and an obvious visit.. whatever you choose to do will be fun to look back on.. it never seems so bad when your abroad and its pissing down :D

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sitting in a lay-by on a tiny country road, near the sea, in NL now almost at Amsterdam. Can’t go in
To the urban areas as I feel intimidated, the idea of getting stuck in a city with a van you can’t stop or park, so will not be seeing the Venice of the North. So far there seem as many places marked up no campers , seems as much as at home., hence the lay-by in the countryside.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That seems a great shame and you would miss seeing a very pretty and festive town.
Others have reported that these is always space on the side of the Bruges aire that does not have EHU, and that it is easy to get to, just check that your sat nav is not directing through the middle of the town before you set off.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Sitting in a lay-by on a tiny country road, near the sea, in NL now almost at Amsterdam. Can’t go in
To the urban areas as I feel intimidated, the idea of getting stuck in a city with a van you can’t stop or park, so will not be seeing the Venice of the North. So far there seem as many places marked up no campers , seems as much as at home., hence the lay-by in the countryside.
Perhaps consider staying at one of the nearby areas such as Alsmere, Leien, The Haag or Haarlem the train service into Amsterdam is cheap and efficient.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So far there seem as many places marked up no campers , seems as much as at home., hence the lay-by in the countryside.
Overnight camping isn't allowed in Holland I seem to recall & is the reason many Dutch go elsewhere.

May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Could I ask if you need any sort of Crit'air badge when going to Belgium ?

We are going to Ypres later this year and may travel around a bit - just asking.

:france: :france: :france: :france:
Currently it is just Antwerp, Brussels & Mechelen. Gent from 2020.

Antwerp & Brussels is the main city centre where you would not want to drive a motorhome and is inside the ring roads. Mechelen is a small medieval town (lovely to visit, great brewery & restaurants) and its only inside their ring road in which you couldn't drive a motorhome there even if you wanted too but their is plent of parking for Motrhomes outside the ring road (5 mins walk to the centre)

May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Overnight camping isn't allowed in Holland I seem to recall & is the reason many Dutch go elsewhere.
I believe it is illegal to camp in the wild in Holland ie putting up a tent on the beach, national parks etc not overnight parking however there are plenty of options including free parking for motorhomes, paid Aires & Campsites.

Its a easy and wonderful country for visiting in a Motorhome.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Zeeburg & Gassper can be reached without going into the zone, Metro station right beside Gaasper about 20mim to centre & probably the easiest to get to.
upload_2018-12-10_10-33-32.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well Southport worked. Good calm crossing. Nill wind, sunshine and to top it all a Christmas market and ice rink. Plenty of space in the camper contact aire.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We drove in to Amsterdam and was rather surprised to fine it quite agreeable to drive there. Drove through and looked parked and moved on later to go over the top dam of the inland zee. Stopped in a services park area and all seems fine BUT the cassette is full and needed to use the backup one , where does one dump the contents,, I can hardly walk through the shop pilling the cassette, and there is sod all else to go with it. What do you do? Going into Germany tomorrow then up to Denmark for a little look. This time of year is wet and cold so all the usual places are closed.
We left the best guide at home and she brought the rotten useless French one instead.. little info available for motorhoming in winter in foreign climes.
One thing that cheers me up,is that my UK satellite system works fine in northern NL.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Parked in German parkplatz in the car area for the night,all settled in and ready for a rest . Now an Italian lorry driver has blocked me in and right next to the van haparked the motor part of his fridge trailer rattling the windows and really annoying us.. There are still loads in the lorry park area but no, he is staying beside us. Antisocial is not the word for thar racket and unable to drive off somewhere else . Earplugs will not stop that noise either.
I have just asked him if he if he is staying and he say he will move in half an hour, I certainly hope so he has come in the car part so as not get trapped for the night.
Have come Down Germany a bit to Munsterarea and going back through southern NL towards Belgium .

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Guess what, he left and two more have stopped for the night. I guess I should learn from this and go into places they cannot or would not want to . I don’t mean campsites either there aren’t any around that I know of at this time of year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never normally a shortage of Stellaplatz in Germany, but if stuck it's legal to overnight in a car park providing it doesn't have a cars only sign.

I would hope everyone on Fun knows what a "cars only" parking sign is (same as UK).
For those that don't.
upload_2018-12-11_19-58-59.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You won't persuade me, 20 miles to Newhaven then hop on ferry is far more pleasurable than 290 miles on UK motorways.:xrofl:

You suvverners have nicked everything. The channel went though Manchester once 'till you lot moved it and left us with the ship canal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back