Tunnel security (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I might well be tempting fate here, but keep hearing about increased security at the border, but we go through about three times a year, each way, and we have never had anything but a wave through, never had anyone look in the van just the stick thing waved around the steering wheel and , off we go, came through last week and they were making ordinary vans open the back doors and stuff and even searching English cars with obvious holiday stuff on board.
Now, going through regular would make you think , they would think we are importing stuff, or something, but on the other hand we do book at least a month in front so they have plenty time to check us on their computer, don't know why it is and will probably have a full search next time, but it just seems odd.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We went out at the end of May, and came back last week.

Waved straight through in both directions.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We were a good hour in the queue 2 weeks ago. Increased checks on the uk bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It might not be a politically correct thing to say but I'm sure they have profiles of the types of people that are likely to be "of interest" and I'm fairly sure that a middle aged or older white couple driving an expensive leisure vehicle doesn't fit any of those profiles.

They aren't that interested in someone bring back a few too many fags at the moment are they?

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
From France to U.K a fortnight ago they were checking all vehicles- went in back of van- checked under seats, washroom and all outside lockers.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personally we don't mind any extra security checks or hold ups better to get there in one piece (y)
Absolutely, that is partly what I was getting at , we could have half a dozen illegals on board, but no one even looks through the door, and just because we are a pair of old white fogies doesn't mean we might be trying to make a bob or two.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just came back from Santander to Plymouth, used to just go straight to border control as recent as last November, now MH's being diverted through lorry entrance and police presence investigating every MH, checking for illegals!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
From France to U.K a fortnight ago they were checking all vehicles- went in back of van- checked under seats, washroom and all outside lockers.
That's what I hear , but not us, wish I hadn't started this now, we shall be locked up next time if security is reading this, just as a matter of interest though , how old are you, why did they look in your van?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We came through the end of May and for the first time ever had to queue for the tunnel train at the Calais terminal...we were expecting it though so wasn't a problem...we didn't get searched in either direction....just waved through. It was all rather good for us as they moved us from the middle of a really long queue to a line that had only 2 motorhomes ahead of us.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had a French border control person come into the van once but I think she just wanted a nosey at the van, she didn't actually check or search anything.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We had a French border control person come into the van once but I think she just wanted a nosey at the van, she didn't actually check or search anything.

We have been boarded only once and the customs guy told my husband he wanted to have a look at the Eriba as he was thinking of buying one and he'd not seen inside one before....so he had a real good nosey.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
That's what I hear , but not us, wish I hadn't started this now, we shall be locked up next time if security is reading this, just as a matter of interest though , how old are you, why did they look in your van?
47. They were checking every vehicle- it was 3 in the morning and relatively quiet

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We came through the end of May and for the first time ever had to queue for the tunnel train at the Calais terminal...we were expecting it though so wasn't a problem...we didn't get searched in either direction....just waved through. It was all rather good for us as they moved us from the middle of a really long queue to a line that had only 2 motorhomes ahead of us.
Exactly what happened with us last Wednesday.

Reactions: Pia
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Checked inside on our way out and when we came back to Portsmouth from Santander last week chap at passport office asked if we had checked our lockers and garage on returning to the vehicle, I said no so he came out of his kiosk and stood by while I opened garage and side locker, he then suggested I check the toilet and wardrobes which I quickly did. No check before we boarded the vessel.
We had a chap break into and try and get in an outside locker at Caen a couple of years ago so I know it happens. We were inside, lights off, heard him shuffling our stuff about, opened our hab door and he ran off.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
47. They were checking every vehicle- it was 3 in the morning and relatively quiet

That will have made a difference. They were probably bored.

If it had been 10am on the last day of the school holidays and there were 500 vehicles behind you they almost certainly wouldn't have bothered.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We have been checked 4 times
twice are we carrying sharp knives
answer yes a drawer full

Then last april coming back
Armed soldiers with H & K's
mind you they jumped back quick when the lab went to give them a lick of welcome

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had the car searched about 4 times over the years but never the MH.

They got very suspicious with me once when I didn't know how to open the bonnet.

I found the lever to open the bonnet inside the car but couldn't find the lever under the bonnet to actually open it. Nor could they.

Eventually they got it open to discover - an engine.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Used the Ferry Cal/Dov last time,on the French side a nice chap had a look in the back,and under the bonnet,did the swob test and off we went.
Tea Bag

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Offender profiling is an essenti
It might not be a politically correct thing to say but I'm sure they have profiles of the types of people that are likely to be "of interest" and I'm fairly sure that a middle aged or older white couple driving an expensive leisure vehicle doesn't fit any of those profiles.

They aren't that interested in someone bring back a few too many fags at the moment are they?

Offender profiling is an essential part of prevention and detection, without it there is no starting point but it has to be remembered that some criminals fall outside recognosed profiles. Vigilance is the key

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We came through from France last week, didn't anyone notice they drove through X-ray machines on the French side? They would detect any bodies on board.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have been checked a few times, first time new van new model they admitted they wanted a look as they hadn't seen one before. did a thorough check though. l ast time had a right laugh, John stores his bike helmet in the overcab, with bedding and foded memory foam it looked like someone was up there. Had to take it all out to prove there wasn't. Wont be doing that again.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I think that is liking to border control for anything inside the M25, if there were such a thing.
Do you think they would have let Darren Osbourne in from Cardiff with his Van?.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
We sailed from Portsmouth to Caen last Friday. We were the only motorhome.. Got searched as did many cars. The woman who did the search said they were checking 1 in 20 vehicles. Full mirror check underneath... She liked the interior and fabric colours though. :whistle:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just like you said @WillH, last Tuesday we got directed to the hgv lane to go through the large x ray scanner, never had that before.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you were lucky we had the van dismantled by french soldiers and then a hundred yards further on in full view of the first, we had it dismantled by british security whilst i see the need for this level of security twice in one hundred yards is a total waste of resources
when i say dismantled i mean ever cupboard opened and rummaged through lockers opened both seats removed to expose the storage and bed lifted to inspect the same locker they had seen from outside

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Having been closely involved in ferry port security during my career I was very impressed at the level of discrete and overt security displayed in France. At one point whilst waiting to proceed I started counting the number of cameras I could see and lost count at over 50.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I always take the ferry, and I always get a good checking out on the french side on my return. and it's thorough too with an armed police person asking me to open up, lifting up seats, looking in the shower room and asking me to open everything.

This has happened twice in one crossing. However on the UK side.... nada.

One thing I have not noticed is them checking underneath. even with a mirror.

Must be the way I look I think.... (note to self. remember to take of the spare tea towel and fan belts off the top of my head when passing through customs in France.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back