Tuggers' etiquette (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
So, we arrive at a fairly formal site, with numbered pitches of hardstanding I terspersed by grassy areas about the same size. The camp guide asks that you park on the hardstanding with awning to the right, as viewed from the road. We don't use an awning, but we parked with the hab door on the right.

A caravan then arrives and sets up. Afterwards he parks his car on the grass to our right. This seemed a bit like parking tanks on our lawn, so we politely asked of he would move. His reply was that we didn't have an awning, so he could park there. We demurred, and after grumbling a bit he parked his car on the road.

What's the etiquette here? As a tugger, should he park his car on his own grass, even if that means there's no room for his awning? Or can he legitimately lay claim to land either side of his van?

I appreciate that this is very much a first world problem, and we're not looking for UN involvement, but it's the first time we've come across it, and guidance would be appreciated!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Seen this happen a lot on temporary holiday sites, especially when you're in a motorhome as there's no tow car.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think there must be a clear separation between outfits of 6m.
That means he should park well away from you.
Not sure if that’s a C&MC rule or legal requirement, I suspect the latter.

Of coursed non of this applies in France where a fag paper between is quite OK. :rofl:

Richard.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I think there must be a clear separation between outfits of 6m.
That means he should park well away from you.
Not sure if that’s a C&MC rule or legal requirement, I suspect the latter.

Of coursed non of this applies in France where a fag paper between is quite OK. :rofl:

Richard.
We were told by CAMC wardens that they have a 6m policy for fire prevention for the main van. However, we were free to go head first in and have the awning on the left or back in and have it on the left.

I think that it depends totally on the site. Having said that, it is also about respect for your site neighbours.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
When we towed it was always park on your own pitch, in front of van, or if no room there up in the car park regardless of whether the neighbours have an awning out. Some people are just ignorant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
It depends on the site set up and how the pitches are marked out.
Normally, a site does not want you to park a car on the grass, unless it's all a grass pitch.
Below first photo is a CL.
Car closest on right is on a pitch where it was awning/caravan and then car. Awning being on grass and car on gravel on other side. But not on neighbouring pitch's grass.
It always used to pi== me off that with a motorhome, parking up to the peg used to leave wasted space on the non-tab door side of the pitch, where as a caravan could make use of it with their car.

Second photo is a CAMC club site.
The strip of grass belongs to the awning set up. So goes car/caravan/awning/grass and next pitch the same.

A CL we visited the other day, cars were parked across the front of their pitch on the lane. - Again, not on the grass.

I've asked many people about what they consider the 6m rule to be and have had many different interpretations.
However, the 6m rule is that all units are pitched 6m away from other units.
This includes the awning or any small tent pitched with the main unit.
A vehicle can be parked within the 6m as long as it is a clear 3m away from any sleeping area. (3m from any outside edge of the car)

So, even the official line on this is a contradiction for some sites, because parking a car on the other side of the caravan but still on their pitch, (ie, car/caravan/awning/grass verge and then same next pitch) means that the vehicle will be parked within 3m of their own sleeping accommodation - being the caravan.

If it doubt, just speak with the warden.

IMG_4547.jpg
IMG_3707.jpg

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The turf war just escalated! Mrs neighbour returned from a trip and parked on our lawn! Remonstrations to no avail. They have a monster awning on the other side, with room for the car, but one of the camps picnic tables is there. Photo shows what it looks like for us.

There is no warden, as its not a club site, but I shall speak to reception for an arbitration ruling. Had they asked, might well have agreed, but force majeure always hacks me off!

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_102114.jpg
    IMG_20210916_102114.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 165

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
The turf war just escalated! Mrs neighbour returned from a trip and parked on our lawn! Remonstrations to no avail. They have a monster awning on the other side, with room for the car, but one of the camps picnic tables is there. Photo shows what it looks like for us.

There is no warden, as its not a club site, but I shall speak to reception for an arbitration ruling. Had they asked, might well have agreed, but force majeure always hacks me off!

I would be expecting them to move and making sure they did.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would be expecting them to move and making sure they did.
Ditto.
It must be neighbours like this that make lots of folks set up encampment with windbreaks to protect their personal space.
We too are used to aires and carparks where units are side by side but that’s not the point, This is a campsite separate pitches and you are entitled to your bit.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's the open plan sites that cause the problems.

In July our friends parked their tow car on our pitch so we could all sit the other side between the van's. I overheard our far neighbour saying "huh, there was a space there but there's a car on it now, motorhome AND a car??"
She wanted our pitch to park her arriving friends car on. Unbelievable.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging

Just wind out your awning to its fullest extent...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I know you said it's not a CAMC site - but they do lay out their expectations quite clearly.
Awning on one side, car on the other side.

Pitch.jpg

I suppose it all depends on the boundaries of the pitch and if the grass areas are communal no man's land

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Afraid I've gone to DefCon 5. They've gone out, so have dragged our campsite picnic table to the front of our lawn (as I like to think of it) and placed it in the middle, so no space either side for a car.

This is all a shame, as it's a lovely site (Tantallon, North Berwick). They are very short staffed - recrption never manned and the mobile number left appears to be switched off. So anarchy reigns...

We're leaving tomorrow anyway, which they are aware of. Trying very hard not to let this become an obsession!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Now you're going to have to occupy your seating area all day long so they don't move your table :roflmto:
I think it already is an obsession :cool:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Nah, I am totally chilled. Going out for the day shortly and they can do what they will. Regardless of the rights and wrongs, it was their sense of entitlement that rubbed me up the, wrong way. "You haven't got an awning, so we can park here". Had they asked and explained, chances, are we'd be sharing a cup of tea with them by now...

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Nah, I am totally chilled. Going out for the day shortly and they can do what they will. Regardless of the rights and wrongs, it was their sense of entitlement that rubbed me up the, wrong way. "You haven't got an awning, so we can park here". Had they asked and explained, chances, are we'd be sharing a cup of tea with them by now...
That's exactly how I felt. If they'd asked us I'd have said OK just put it right up to your caravan. Instead I made sure our scooter took the space up after the friends car moved back.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
There’s loads of room for them to park opposite on the grass.
I’d still make a point of telling the site staff even if you’re leaving tomorrow.
It could be enough to decide on whether you return and give future business.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
You’ve paid for your pitch same as they have, therefore same space.
This is rude and I would have windshield up by now !!
Surely, is pitch marked out?
It’s just manners isent it
Keep us posted👍

Mar 10, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
We had similar in Cornwall, was a C&MC site, large group arrived in a minibus towing a caravan, set up no issue, Van parked alongside, correctly, awning out, then on the grass between us a tent appeared quite small so thought shade for dog, no more !!!! sleeping room, as my temp rose OH said leaving tomorrow let someone else moan, she won just.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back