Trying to get back into Photography. (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I used to take photos a lot about 10 years ago, nothing special, just amateur. I started going down the film route and got into self-developing which was quite rewarding, but expensive, I really enjoyed the process and using the cameras but time and money both when dry so I ended up stopping. A recent trip to Belgium reminded me of what I enjoyed about photography and although smartphones are great, you just can't beat a proper camera. I can't justify the on-going cost of film I've decided to get back into Digital and just picked up an Olympus OM-D E-M10, excited about taking some well-needed time out and focusing on life through a lens! I see that there is a small following for photography here so I'm looking forward to getting back into it and it and sharing some snaps.

Martin

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Taking photos is my No1 pastime, travelling to see and take photos of wildlife is the main reason for having a Van.
We are about to leave on a trip to Skomer Island to photograph Puffins then moving via St David’s up through the Machy loop for low level aircraft on to Anglesey.
I keep promising to set my website up but not got around to it yet.

Set yourself projects and go for it👍🏻👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I love photography and recently started using my Google Pixel 6 phone as well as my Nikon DSLR.
I have had some interesting results.
I love black and white photographs... take a look
I used to love B&W too, something beautiful about stripping back the colour!

Taking photos is my No1 pastime, travelling to see and take photos of wildlife is the main reason for having a Van.
We are about to leave on a trip to Skomer Island to photograph Puffins then moving via St David’s up through the Machy loop for low level aircraft on to Anglesey.

I remember when I used to take photos, it was a good excuse to go for a walk somewhere, gave it more of a purpose, opening your eyes to things that you would not usually see.
Skomer Island looks stunning, be sure to post up some photos on your return!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I love photography and recently started using my Google Pixel 6 phone as well as my Nikon DSLR.
I have had some interesting results.
I love black and white photographs... take a look
Hi Grasmere9, you have some very good shots there couldn't see all of them as not on Instagram.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years

Otter you are close to Rochdale do you give talks to clubs as used to be a member of rdcc but not been since covid but thinking of going back and I know they are always on the look out for speakers if you would be willing 🤞

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Otter you are close to Rochdale do you give talks to clubs as used to be a member of rdcc but not been since covid but thinking of going back and I know they are always on the look out for speakers if you would be willing 🤞
Hi, never thought about it, the only times I ever went to a camera club Todmorden and then Burnley I thought members were very ’ gear’ focused and everything else was competitions. Not for me so I stayed away. I have probably lost the social skills to give a group talk on my favourite subject Otters!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
The new camera was delivered over the weekend, it's so compact, almost pocket-sized so it's going to be great to take it away in the van during our travels, just need to figure out how to use the damn thing now since I've been out of the loop for many years!
What's the editing software of choice these days? Lightroom seems really expensive for the casual snapper so I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives🤔
IMG_20230615_213707.jpg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What's the editing software of choice these days? Lightroom seems really expensive for the casual snapper
Depends on what you want to do?
A little light (geddit) enhancing, cropping, resizing etc, I use Polarr on my Chromebook, it's free - you can of course pay to unlock more features & filters.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Depends on what you want to do?
A little light (geddit) enhancing, cropping, resizing etc, I use Polarr on my Chromebook, it's free - you can of course pay to unlock more features & filters.
Looks quite intuitive, my daughter has a Chromebook so I'll give it a look.
Just downloaded Lightroom for Android, didn't know they did a free version that also locks out the premium features, seems to be the way software is going.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
hi try affinity by serif you pay one price and get updates for life , steep learning curve, unfortunately I've gone back to the start as it has been aong time since I've done any photography but thinking about getting back in the saddle.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I use a Photoshop CS6 on my MacBook running "High Sierra' does everything I need.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Spent a day with the official Canon Camera Club on Skomer Island with their Professional Sean Weekly giving tips and tricks along with Frankie from Canon Technical both of whom know so much about getting the best out if bodies and lenses. I defy anyone not to get a decent keeper of a Puffin !.
I managed to take 1800 shots and got the shot I wanted if a Puffin with its mouth full of Sandeels flying towards me. I will post some shots when I get back home in 8 days time.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Spent a day with the official Canon Camera Club on Skomer Island with their Professional Sean Weekly giving tips and tricks along with Frankie from Canon Technical both of whom know so much about getting the best out if bodies and lenses. I defy anyone not to get a decent keeper of a Puffin !.
I managed to take 1800 shots and got the shot I wanted if a Puffin with its mouth full of Sandeels flying towards me. I will post some shots when I get back home in 8 days time.
Sounds like you had a really good time, can't wait to see the results, hope you have your workflow routine honed in with 1800 photos to whittle down!

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I’m at a bit of a crossroads…..in the 80’s I was lucky enough to have a Canon A1, motor drive, Telefoto lenses, big flash etc.. loved motorsport.. rallying, bikes, in fact, if it had an engine, I’d take a picture. I can do that arty farty bollx aswell. At the moment I’ve got a Nikon DSLR 7000 with various lenses and a generic motor drive. It’s a great bit of kit….. but since I’ve had my IPhone 14 pro, it’s been sat in its camera bag for nearly a year, simple reason is the phone does it all for you. I know some of you lot will come on here and tell me the finer points of owning the Nikon, but for ease of use, the phone beats it every time…

A few pics of Santorini last year…
DSCN2508.jpeg
DSCN2521.jpeg

DSCN2508.jpeg

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
There's taking a photo and making a photo, two completely different things with sometimes the same results. But I bet you don't get the same feeling inside when you snap away with the iPhone as you did with the DSLR and post-production?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back