May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Just watched our welsh news and as usual they can’t find anything good
they were reporting from Holyhead docks, and how there are not many trucks going over to ireland

now before we left the eu , they were saying there was going to be a tremendous queue into the port
now they say it’s quiet because of stockpiling, customs forms filled in using the wrong colour ink ,etc

then they mentioned the french had laid on extra ferries from France to southern ireland ( makes sense if you are brittany ferries with ships laid up )

now I’m pretty glad not to have 100 to 1000 foreign trucks a week driving between Holyhead and dover
less fumes ,wear and tear on our roads ,so surely this has to good for our environment

perhaps all EU goods and trucks should go via this ferry route to France
(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think it’s said that moving stuff on water uses less fuel than on road , so makes good sense to have a ship going direct.

Upvote 1

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Great result for the UK. If the goods are going from the Republic to EU, we dont need them driving and clogging our roads, and ports. As you say they pollute and ruin our environment for no gain to us. Long may it continue👍
with a bit of luck, the Irish travellers might by pass us as well😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It have always thought that demonising Diesel and petrol cars and pushing EV's as a planet savior as being a bit ridiculous when there are "probably " more diesel trucks travelling every day than cars and they are " probably" more poluting and more damaging to the environment.

so until something comes along that sorts the Truck problem out, any of us changing to EV's is going to make not a lot of difference.

Yes i know every little helps and we have to start somewhere. but i dont see the truck problem going away by 2025

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I regularly drive trucks and been involved in transport for a lot of my working life. I've noticed a lot less EE trucks on our roads this year, its certainly a lot safer and I can actually find a place to park in the services now. I havent noticed any less irish trucks though, they re a real problem round here because we re on a direct route between the Anglesey and the channel crossings and they re still haring through, Like most guys here if I look in the mirrors and see spotlights on the roof I try and get them past as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It have always thought that demonising Diesel and petrol cars and pushing EV's as a planet savior as being a bit ridiculous when there are "probably " more diesel trucks travelling every day than cars and they are " probably" more poluting and more damaging to the environment.

so until something comes along that sorts the Truck problem out, any of us changing to EV's is going to make not a lot of difference.

Yes i know every little helps and we have to start somewhere. but i dont see the truck problem going away by 2025
Why not use goods trains again one or 2 Diesel engines on track pulling 20/30 40ton containers instead of the same number of trucks on the road.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Why not use goods trains again one or 2 Diesel engines on track pulling 20/30 40ton containers instead of the same number of trucks on the road.

we need something other that an ever increasing number of trucks on the roads..

just think what it would be like driving in the UK if trucks were halved in numbers, again they go on about commuting and using public transport instead. :rolleyes: to take traffic off the roads and reduce pollution.

which again is a drop in the ocean compared to volume of trucks.

OK,,,, rant over.:giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LARRY99

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I’m quiet happy for the french ferries to take all the ROI freight
I wonder how the french people will like the extra noise ,pollution

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I regularly drive trucks and been involved in transport for a lot of my working life. I've noticed a lot less EE trucks on our roads this year, its certainly a lot safer and I can actually find a place to park in the services now. I havent noticed any less irish trucks though, they re a real problem round here because we re on a direct route between the Anglesey and the channel crossings and they re still haring through, Like most guys here if I look in the mirrors and see spotlights on the roof I try and get them past as soon as possible.
Still lots of Irish Trucks on the A75 Stranraer route as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LARRY99

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Still lots of Irish Trucks on the A75 Stranraer route as well
But are they delivering Irish goods to the U.K./ Scotland
or are they travelling to the east coast Ferries, then on to the EU

if they are using the U.K. as a rat run to the Scandinavian countries then perhaps it’s time we adopt the Swiss approach to transiting trucks

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
we need something other that an ever increasing number of trucks on the roads..

just think what it would be like driving in the UK if trucks were halved in numbers, again they go on about commuting and using public transport instead. :rolleyes: to take traffic off the roads and reduce pollution.

which again is a drop in the ocean compared to volume of trucks.

OK,,,, rant over.:giggle:
To many people alive and living here, eating food and buying goods for their home. How are you going to get the stuff there with out trucks

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if I look in the mirrors and see spotlights on the roof I try and get them past as soon as possible.
That'll be all of ours here then.me included :giggle: :giggle:
just the same as the lorries aren't the problem but the sheer amount of cars/vans with half wit drivers allowed to obtain licences.
Welcomed with open arms if it brings jobs & income.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
To many people alive and living here, eating food and buying goods for their home. How are you going to get the stuff there with out trucks
Local trucks if some description will of course be needed.
But there has to be a way of getting combined loads around the country without additional trucks on the road.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The total amount of vehicles on the road has to come to a cap.
It's not possible on this tiny island to continually build or expand roads.

Don't get me wrong I love our motorhome and my car..... And I have no intention of giving these up without a fight.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Many years ago you had goods travel by train to goods yards in towns and cities then much smaller trucks wipers used to get the last 25 miles. Most of the railway goods yards were sold off and now you have trucks motorways transporting the same stuff. Small but important point you don’t get many crashes on trains but how many trucks are involved in collisions ?

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The total amount of vehicles on the road has to come to a cap.
It's not possible on this tiny island to continually build or expand roads.

Don't get me wrong I love our motorhome and my car..... And I have no intention of giving these up without a fight.
I think a cap on population would be better, if building homes how on earth are bricks etc going to get there without trucks. It’s to many people in to small a place, simples.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Many years ago you had goods travel by train to goods yards in towns and cities then much smaller trucks wipers used to get the last 25 miles. Most of the railway goods yards were sold off and now you have trucks motorways transporting the same stuff. Small but important point you don’t get many crashes on trains but how many trucks are involved in collisions ?
They decided just in time delivery was more efficient and environmentally friendly as not so much stock needed to be made and held so less waste for the environment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LARRY99

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I think trucks EU or otherwise delivering goods to us in the U.K. is going to be a necessary evil for awhile
but trucks driving from the EU through the U.K. to another EU country is ?

what do the Swiss do to ALL non Swiss trucks driving through Switzerland?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
But are they delivering Irish goods to the U.K./ Scotland
or are they travelling to the east coast Ferries, then on to the EU

if they are using the U.K. as a rat run to the Scandinavian countries then perhaps it’s time we adopt the Swiss approach to transiting trucks
That I couldn’t say but the volume certainly hasn’t noticeably decreased

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just watched our welsh news and as usual they can’t find anything good
they were reporting from Holyhead docks, and how there are not many trucks going over to ireland

now before we left the eu , they were saying there was going to be a tremendous queue into the port
now they say it’s quiet because of stockpiling, customs forms filled in using the wrong colour ink ,etc

then they mentioned the french had laid on extra ferries from France to southern ireland ( makes sense if you are brittany ferries with ships laid up )

now I’m pretty glad not to have 100 to 1000 foreign trucks a week driving between Holyhead and dover
less fumes ,wear and tear on our roads ,so surely this has to good for our environment

perhaps all EU goods and trucks should go via this ferry route to France
(y)
Just need more from UK to

Norway
Sweden
Belgium
The Netherlands
Spain
Denmark
Portugal

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you considered how many vehicles will be lining up to get to the goods on the trains to transport them to where they need to go
Unless of course your local Tesco has its own siding

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Have you considered how many vehicles will be lining up to get to the goods on the trains to transport them to where they need to go
They would be electric and they could work at night and they would be smaller and lighter, charging during the day and thus reducing traffic during the day.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
How will there be any extra trucks in France? They were transiting the UK to get there before, now more of them are going direct which has been possible for many years.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I think trucks EU or otherwise delivering goods to us in the U.K. is going to be a necessary evil for awhile
but trucks driving from the EU through the U.K. to another EU country is ?

what do the Swiss do to ALL non Swiss trucks driving through Switzerland?

Charge them, the same as the UK does.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Well now that you mention it. Our Sainsbury’s has a siding about 5 metres away.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Up to the early 70s there was a goods yard in Manchester in Collyhurst and all the Bananas for the north of England went through this yard. I went to school nearby and we found it a fantastic play ground and a great place to find large hairy spider. Wonderful for chasing girls with 🥴

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back