May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Just watched our welsh news and as usual they can’t find anything good
they were reporting from Holyhead docks, and how there are not many trucks going over to ireland

now before we left the eu , they were saying there was going to be a tremendous queue into the port
now they say it’s quiet because of stockpiling, customs forms filled in using the wrong colour ink ,etc

then they mentioned the french had laid on extra ferries from France to southern ireland ( makes sense if you are brittany ferries with ships laid up )

now I’m pretty glad not to have 100 to 1000 foreign trucks a week driving between Holyhead and dover
less fumes ,wear and tear on our roads ,so surely this has to good for our environment

perhaps all EU goods and trucks should go via this ferry route to France
(y)

OP
OP
LARRY99

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
How will there be any extra trucks in France? They were transiting the UK to get there before, now more of them are going direct which has been possible for many years.

There won’t be anymore trucks in France , but there will be a lot more travelling through the smaller ports , so you’d be happy having more trucks passing your front door

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have you considered how many vehicles will be lining up to get to the goods on the trains to transport them to where they need to go
Unless of course your local Tesco has its own siding
Lots of stuff for Tesco Inverness and places North goes by rail
Or it did anyway

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Many years ago you had goods travel by train to goods yards in towns and cities then much smaller trucks wipers used to get the last 25 miles. Most of the railway goods yards were sold off and now you have trucks motorways transporting the same stuff. Small but important point you don’t get many crashes on trains but how many trucks are involved in collisions ?
One of the things that killed it were the railwaymen themselves, they would shunt loads onto sidings and effectively lose them. But you re talking about the 1960's when the population was 18m smaller, with the increase in population driven largely by immigration and the different things we eat its hard to see how else you could do it now other than JIT. Anybody here grow their own veg? Not many I bet because a bag of carrots at aldi are 30p or less.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
They would be electric and they could work at night and they would be smaller and lighter, charging during the day and thus reducing traffic during the day.
Oh dear Oh dear, Your name isnt Sadiq Kahn by any chance. Sorry but its pure fantasy, for starters there are not enough hours in the night to do it, who would you get to drive them? its 26 transit vans to replace one artic, shall I go on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I do like it that people say oh they can work at night. Not all people can work at night and others would not want to for a low wage, but others are quite happy to say that people can work nights as if it’s a criminal offence to not work at night.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
One of the things that killed it were the railwaymen themselves, they would shunt loads onto sidings and effectively lose them. But you re talking about the 1960's when the population was 18m smaller, with the increase in population driven largely by immigration and the different things we eat its hard to see how else you could do it now other than JIT. Anybody here grow their own veg? Not many I bet because a bag of carrots at aldi are 30p or less.
Fair points but the goods system on The rail network is privatised now so not unionised and most of the system would be computerised and automated.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I do like it that people say oh they can work at night. Not all people can work at night and others would not want to for a low wage, but others are quite happy to say that people can work nights as if it’s a criminal offence to not work at night.
Why can’t people work nights? I and everybody else in the emergency services works nights and days. Shift work often fits in very well with family life especially with young children.
If the job you’re doing changes to shift work then you either adapt or change jobs.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Oh dear Oh dear, Your name isnt Sadiq Kahn by any chance. Sorry but its pure fantasy, for starters there are not enough hours in the night to do it, who would you get to drive them? its 26 transit vans to replace one artic, shall I go on?
It will not be long before driverless commercial vehicles will be on the roads hence my suggestion that deliveries could be at night, as it will take a fair amount adjustment by human drivers getting used to no driver in white van

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Why can’t people work nights? I and everybody else in the emergency services works nights and days. Shift work often fits in very well with family life especially with young children.
If the job you’re doing changes to shift work then you either adapt or change jobs.
you beat me to it, I worked nights on and off for 10 years and loved it, my kids were happy that I could do the school run and we enjoyed quality time together before I tucked them up in bed then went to work.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It will not be long before driverless commercial vehicles will be on the roads hence my suggestion that deliveries could be at night, as it will take a fair amount adjustment by human drivers getting used to no driver in white van
I'm really not expecting to see driverless commercials on the road in my lifetime. Why not take a trip in a lorry through a town/city centre and see what you think.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Oh the I did it so everyone else should. So looking like a criminal offence to not work night would be on the cards if some were in charge.
Oh the I don’t like it so nobody should have to brigade are out I see.
I’m not sure anyone is advocating that everyone works nights. Except you of course. There are many transport jobs that could be carried out more effectively at night. With less disruption for traffic through the day. Working nights isn’t scary there aren’t any darkness monsters you can work quite safely at night and spread the movement of vehicles more evenly over any 24 hour period. Making better use of the road network.
Of course this shouldn’t be allowed to happen because not everyone likes night time working.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I'm really not expecting to see driverless commercials on the road in my lifetime. Why not take a trip in a lorry through a town/city centre and see what you think.
I think we will be surprised how quick they come. Admittedly it will probably be on trunking routes to start with, Royal Mail or other parcel firms with hubs beside a motorway for example.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Oh the I don’t like it so nobody should have to brigade are out I see.
I’m not sure anyone is advocating that everyone works nights. Except you of course. There are many transport jobs that could be carried out more effectively at night. With less disruption for traffic through the day. Working nights isn’t scary there aren’t any darkness monsters you can work quite safely at night and spread the movement of vehicles more evenly over any 24 hour period. Making better use of the road network.
Of course this shouldn’t be allowed to happen because not everyone likes night time working.
I guess that everyone will sleep ok during the day, personally I cannot. So there will be a legal exemption from prosecution for any accident due to tiredness just to keep it fair.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I think that the logistical problems involved in moving goods by rail have been hugely underestimated by some posters on this thread. Many comments show a basic lack of knowledge of how transport works today.
Containers on trains have been mentioned, this happens now and is largely working to the capacity of the rail system. Containers need lifting on and off the trains, facilities for this are limited and road transport still needed for final delivery/collection.
Massive infrastructure investment would be required, transfer depots/warehouses etc. Not all loads are suitable for containerisation and roro facilities for trailers on trains are virtually non existent in the UK, not to mention load gauge problems.
Stobarts have invested in rail transportation for specific contracts and specific routes.
No simple solution exists, the world has moved on since the days when virtually every small town had a station and sidings, next day delivery and 'just in time' does not work very well with our much depleted railway network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I guess that everyone will sleep ok during the day, personally I cannot. So there will be a legal exemption from prosecution for any accident due to tiredness just to keep it fair.
You seem to think the whole world should revolve around you. It doesn’t. There are many people that work nights. Some for the extra money, some for the better child care this gives, some just because they like it. Why do you want to stop this practice? Is it just because you don’t like it?
You would still be able to work only days if night time deliveries were more common you know. It’s just more people would work nights than do now.
In your world what would happen to heart attack patients at night? Would they have to wait until daylight to be treated? Would fires just have to burn until daylight? Crooks would have a field day with no chance of being caught because no police working when it’s dark.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I believe they transport by rail for Tesco. They have a rail hub at DIRFT adjacent to M1 M6 and A5. Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal.
I thought I remembered them doing this. Thanks.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
The problem with rail is it goes to Victorian centres of population. Still need long road trips to get the goods to where they are wanted.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You seem to think the whole world should revolve around you. It doesn’t. There are many people that work nights. Some for the extra money, some for the better child care this gives, some just because they like it. Why do you want to stop this practice? Is it just because you don’t like it?
You would still be able to work only days if night time deliveries were more common you know. It’s just more people would work nights than do now.
In your world what would happen to heart attack patients at night? Would they have to wait until daylight to be treated? Would fires just have to burn until daylight? Crooks would have a field day with no chance of being caught because no police working when it’s dark.
That’s some assumptions that the whole world revolves around me, blimey. I just know tiredness kills, but may be you know differently in your world.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There has been a small fortune spent upgrading the line to get more containers out of Felixstowe. All around Ely and other places had to be upgraded and new tracks etc, a lot of money spent.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The problem with rail is it goes to Victorian centres of population. Still need long road trips to get the goods to where they are wanted.
I think it’s not beyond the powers in charge to build new rail track. This could be done to help get goods to more useful ares to lessen road deliveries. Just putting problems in front of this doesn’t help. We do need to lessen the traffic on our road system. I’m sure we could build a better rail delivery system rather than just increasing road traffic and road building.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
That’s some assumptions that the whole world revolves around me, blimey. I just know tiredness kills, but may be you know differently in your world.
You didn’t answer my question about why you don’t want people to work nights did you? Not really a surprise there.you know the heart attack, fire, crime scenario.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I think it’s not beyond the powers in charge to build new rail track. This could be done to help get goods to more useful ares to lessen road deliveries. Just putting problems in front of this doesn’t help. We do need to lessen the traffic on our road system. I’m sure we could build a better rail delivery system rather than just increasing road traffic and road building.
HS2 is a prime example of the problems involved in expanding the rail network, everybody wants the benefits but nobody wants the disruption....NIMBY!
The problem definitely needs solving and a good rail/intermodal network would go a long way to solving a lot of problems but the costs, both financial and ecologically, will be enormous.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
HS2 is a prime example of the problems involved in expanding the rail network, everybody wants the benefits but nobody wants the disruption....NIMBY!
The problem definitely needs solving and a good rail/intermodal network would go a long way to solving a lot of problems but the costs, both financial and ecologically, will be enormous.
I’m not sure HS2 is a good example as it will only benefit a very small section of society. If however a similar track building scheme was rolled out to get goods to various goods yards around the country. I think this would be much more widely acceptable as it would benefit everyone.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
People need to alter their expectations of what is available.
Youngsters want to save the world but still expect the plastic crap that they desire to arrive within 24hrs of ordering it.
Buy local, support local business, eat fruit veg and animals that are in season, and stop all this need to move shite about.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I’m not sure HS2 is a good example as it will only benefit a very small section of society. If however a similar track building scheme was rolled out to get goods to various goods yards around the country. I think this would be much more widely acceptable as it would benefit everyone.
The infrastructure is gone, goods yards, tracks, all gone, built on etc.
A massive amount of work and disruption to many would be involved, all is possible and maybe needed but as I said the cost will be enormous.
Would gou be happy if they built a ral track at the bottom of hour garden or even through it, maybe even demolish the house you live in.
Very few problems are insurmountable but ultimately society will have to decide if the price, in all senses of the word, is worth paying.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
People need to alter their expectations of what is available.
Youngsters want to save the world but still expect the plastic crap that they desire to arrive within 24hrs of ordering it.
Buy local, support local business, eat fruit veg and animals that are in season, and stop all this need to move shite about.
It’s not just the younger ones, were all now used to getting things almost instantly. I do agree with you re eating what is in season. This is how we grew up. Different fruit and veg at different times of the year. We do not need fruit and veg bringing from the other side of the world just because it’s not in season here.
As you say let’s support local businesses and growers by eating our own produce.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back