Triumph factory (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Sounds a great day.
Hope you can share some pictures on here.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I went round when it first opened. I was surprised to see racks of hundreds of tyres. Then it twigged .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Is there a punch line?

Or were they all TT100s left over from the old factory. :whistle:
It's not a trick question. I was surprised to see hundreds of tyres, then I realised they make hundreds of bikes a week and they need huge stocks of tyres to fit on them all.....

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's not a trick question. I was surprised to see hundreds of tyres, then I realised they make hundreds of bikes a week and they need huge stocks of tyres to fit on them all.....

I had a similar thought when I was there ..... why so many handlebars?

Ahh, yes! :whistle:

Ian

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I was discussing the success of the new Triumph company with an old mate. He was riding Triumph bikes in the early sixties then he started buying Honda. He thought the main reason was money, when they started again they had enough apparently to do it right and be as good as the Japs some might say better.:xThumb:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
...... when they started again they had enough apparently to do it right and be as good as the Japs some might say better.:xThumb:

If you’re talking about the early ones then I think that their numbers would be few.

No denying though that Bloor has made a huge success of Triumph and that they do now produce bikes that are the equal, or better, than the competition in the markets that they’re competing in.

Ian

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Doing a tour of the Triumph Factory with a mate this morning (Christmas present), then around the local for a few beers ( and talk bollocks about bikes) then a very late lunch..........sound like a perfect day.

I would love to know what it was like? Having owned a coupe of Hinkley Triumphs I have considered going but not got around to it yet.

Jon

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Unfortunately , no photography allowed in the factory proper.......so no photos!
Well worth visiting , we had a very knowledgable and funny guide who fielded all questions asked.
The factory wasn’t running because of the holiday shutdown but that allowed us to access areas closer to the production line than would usually be allowed. I think we will visit again when they’re actually producing.
They seem to be doing very well with the millionth bike expected to roll off the production line in the next year.
Highly recommended.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
If you’re talking about the early ones then I think that their numbers would be few.

No denying though that Bloor has made a huge success of Triumph and that they do now produce bikes that are the equal, or better, than the competition in the markets that they’re competing in.

Ian
Dont quite follow your line about the early ones Ian. I was talking about the success of the new Triumph company. Its not very often we see a new UK start up being a success as quickly as this and continuing to do well. It just goes to show what can be done if enough funds are there in the first place.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It just goes to show what can be done if enough funds are there in the first place.

And, if I remember correctly, make sure you copy all the right Japanese designs. Weren't the first Kawasaki based ?

And I remember the early ones with snapping frames.

But, they survived and came good very quickly.

Nice one Mr Bloor, who is building a small housing estate near here, right now, he's not lost that business.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Unfortunately , no photography allowed in the factory proper.......so no photos!
Well worth visiting , we had a very knowledgable and funny guide who fielded all questions asked.
The factory wasn’t running because of the holiday shutdown but that allowed us to access areas closer to the production line than would usually be allowed. I think we will visit again when they’re actually producing.
They seem to be doing very well with the millionth bike expected to roll off the production line in the next year.
Highly recommended.

More importantly what was the beer like:cheers:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think it was only last year when the MCN said that all the best bikes in the world are now European.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
So you reckon they have it completely wrong?
Yes, the Japanese produce some amazing bikes. All the major race series are dominated by Jap bikes.

There are some good Euro bikes, but not better in every field.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
....... and be as good as the Japs some might say better.:xThumb:

Dont quite follow your line about the early ones Ian. I was talking about the success of the new Triumph company

I too was talking about Bloor’s Triumph.

The early modular Triumphs provided a great means of providing a range of bikes from day one. However, they fell some way short of the competition and not many would have argued with that view. Hence my comment regarding their numbers being few, in reference to your comment:
........ and be as good as the Japs some might say better.:xThumb:

It wasn’t until they produced the bug eyed street triple that they had a winner (probably because the japs weren’t really in that market) and later with the Daytona 675.

They really found their niche with their retro range though.

A new era beckons now with the use of their 875(?) in Moto2 next year.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A new era beckons now with the use of their 875(?) in Moto2 next year.

Ian

They are still being coy about selling that bike, 765cc, for the road but surely it is destined to be a run away success.

I've always held the belief that 750cc is the perfect size for a real world road bike. Big enough for "torque" and small enough not to be too lethal.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
They are still being coy about selling that bike, 765cc, for the road but surely it is destined to be a run away success.

Only problem is that that market (sports bikes) is shrinking. Would be good to see one though.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Only problem is that that market (sports bikes) is shrinking. Would be good to see one though.
Ian

Yes, I forgot, we have to be adventurers now. Mind you, I've voted with my wallet, Vstrom then this CB500X. So relaxed and comfortable, time to enjoy the scenery and ease up frightened to watch the post drop through the letterbox.

But for all that, Triumph don't need sales on the scale of Honda, fingers crossed it could be a big hit. All the litre sports bikes are silly money now, this could come much cheaper and still deliver the thrills.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe they meant the road bikes?

I read MCN every week, one thing I'm sure of, they print what draws in advertising or test bikes.

The crap they print is beyond belief a lot of the time. Like the new GS, you get something like "I was a bit under powered at 130 bhp but now it has 132 bhp it's wonderful", sort of thing. They wet their knickers over the Triumph 1200 Scrambler, no-one in their right minds would take that on dirt. 500cc was a huge scrambler when scramblers scrambled.

So why do I read it every week. Well there's usually the odd page on racing that makes it worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back