LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Shouldn't they be changing the name to the THOR (prev Erwin Hymer) Centre?

You do realise Martin that N+B is also now part of THOR INDUSTRIES INC. :rolleyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

No,Thor is just the parent company, the Erwin Hymer Brand stays the same. Kraft bought Cadbury but the chocolate bars names didn't change, though plenty said the chocolate did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

You do realise Martin that N+B is also now part of THOR INDUSTRIES INC. :rolleyes:
Indeed but I don't care, N+B seem to be free to design and develop in their own style despite having been owned by Hymer since 2000.

Martin

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
No, not had an invite, that will teach me not to buy a Hymer!! Don't think I regret buying the Concorde from them instead.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I keep getting e-mails from them about the opening. Does that constitute an 'Invitation'?

Not going anyway as Polch is nearer and N&B have said I can deal direct with them as they have no Dealer in Poland now

Geoff.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Indeed but I don't care, N+B seem to be free to design and develop in their own style despite having been owned by Hymer since 2000.

Martin

Martin

Not only their own style but I think also their own Quality Assurance, although that may have slipped a bit recently.

I would not be sorry to hear that Thor might spin off N&B. Might a Caravan Dealer at end of the road be interested or are they better off with Concorde? But why not both?

Anyone fancy some crowd-funding for N&B?

Does anyone have a patent on the N&B twin aluminium sandwich construction? I know Hymer are using it, but is that just a licence or do they own a patent?

Interesting times.

Geoff

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No, not had an invite, that will teach me not to buy a Hymer!! Don't think I regret buying the Concorde from them instead.
They know you wouldn't swap your Concorde for a Hymer so crossed you off the list.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin

Not only their own style but I think also their own Quality Assurance, although that may have slipped a bit recently.

I would not be sorry to hear that Thor might spin off N&B. Might a Caravan Dealer at end of the road be interested or are they better off with Concorde? But why not both?

Anyone fancy some crowd-funding for N&B?

Does anyone have a patent on the N&B twin aluminium sandwich construction? I know Hymer are using it, but is that just a licence or do they own a patent?

Interesting times.

Geoff

You are right N+B have had a few quality issues recently, primarily paintwork and trim finishes I think.

The double aluminium has been used by the likes of Concorde, Phoenix and I think Carthago for many years now so I don't think the slow spread is anything to do with patent or licence issues but simply cost, it was not used in Arto's prior to 2000, so that differentiated the more expensive Flair from the Arto as in those days the Flair was available of the FWD Fiat chassis so they had to do something to warrant the extra cost of the Flair.

In a way I am surprised it has taken the rest of Hymer so long to catch up or again is it a deliberate attempt to differentiate their flagship range from the rest, and of course save money.

Martin

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I went. Was greeted by Julia Bradbury, then wine tasting with Jilly Gooldon + free hog roast. A cheap afternoon out, as I did not spend anything. One N&B Clou Liner + many other moho's to see.
I imagine they got funding from Hymer. The new site is much better located than the Telford one but I wouldn't say a lot bigger. If you go, beware of satnav giving you a run for your money, visiting the industrial estate. The postcode will not get you there (using Google). You need to take the first road left after leaving the motorway island. A few £m worth of new vehicles present. Some p/x vehicles, including a nice Charisma for two.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I went. Was greeted by Julia Bradbury, then wine tasting with Jilly Gooldon + free hog roast. A cheap afternoon out, as I did not spend anything. One N&B Clou Liner + many other moho's to see.
I imagine they got funding from Hymer. The new site is much better located than the Telford one but I wouldn't say a lot bigger. If you go, beware of satnav giving you a run for your money, visiting the industrial estate. The postcode will not get you there (using Google). You need to take the first road left after leaving the motorway island. A few £m worth of new vehicles present. Some p/x vehicles, including a nice Charisma for two.
When you say "Clou liner" do you mean a proper old Clou for show or is it for sale? I have seen the Charisma on their web site but no Clou.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So not one of these then,

37066884_2094259757503549_4057872761819758592_n.jpg

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No, not a 'proper' Clou. In name only, on the back. Nice van though...
Think we know whose van that was if it is a used Arto(y)

Martin

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I was there all morning, not by invite, van is in getting solar fitted. Monday may have been ok, but today just free bacon baps for breakfast and sandwiches at lunch time. Suposed to be a hog roast, but no sign of it. Lots of nice vans though.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Is it the one as you come off the M6 at J 14? Been on the site --nothing in my price range ( _ £40k) ?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
@jonegood I will trump your single Clou with a brace.

View attachment 284811

Martin
Though N+B are still superb and manufactured to a high standard I do think they
have currently lost the class of the older Clou as your image shows, today’s are just a bit too blingy, the above look magnificent.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Though N+B are still superb and manufactured to a high standard I do think they
have currently lost the class of the older Clou as your image shows, today’s are just a bit too blingy, the above look magnificent.
I can only agree with your conclusion(y)

Martin

EDIT I should add that the same thing could be said about a few other top brands in my view.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What about this @jongood, OK I know it's not N+B but a 6 cylinder in a sub 8.5 metre(y)

Martin

Broken Link Removed

Yes very nice but too big to get down my lane.

IMO that is one of the ones that have held the quality bar up however think that upholstery is unfeasibly white.

Is it on your list?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes very nice but too big to get down my lane.

IMO that is one of the ones that have held the quality bar up however think that upholstery is unfeasibly white.

Is it on your list?
I don't want it down your lane Jon, being a transverse bed it will loose out on garage space and table not a bar, other than the worryingly low miles and the 2.5 wide body it looks a cracker. I love those cupboards in the older Phoenix.

If it was just down the road I would have seen it already(y)
Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't want it down your lane Jon, being a transverse bed it will loose out on garage space and table not a bar, other than the worryingly low miles and the 2.5 wide body it looks a cracker. I love those cupboards in the older Phoenix.

If it was just down the road I would have seen it already(y)
Martin

Nice one

Do I suspect a trip to Mannheim on the cards? Is Jen up for it?

IMHO the Phoenix preserves the solid feel of the older models of one of its contemporaries. I also like their treatment of the Eurocargo Dash.

Its a very well specced one 2 x A/c and 2 x heating and built in router. Surprising its got a casette toilet but that wouldnt be a biggie for me.

re reading. I note its got a compressor fridge but no mention of solar, efoy or gennie?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Phoenix basically all have compressor Jon I am not 100% sure about running one but Jen just doesn't like the old style of them, we were in Niesmann camping on the last trip and talking to the sales guy in there about various vans and he volunteered that furniture wise the Phoenix were top drawer(y) and the garages are the biggest and you know that is a big + for me.

Yes the Eurocargo dash is neat but after taking out the 4 cylinder one she might take some persuading, do you just get the cassette thing from the SOG reference as I can't see it mentioned directly. Well specced for sure and not silly money for a van that hasn't even needed it's first oil change.

Will we be booking the ferry? realistically we said that a Daily chassis with the narrower body 2360mm vs 2450 and lower roof height would suite us better, and a better payload as this one is 6850 kg in running trim so not that much left for tanks of water scooter etc etc, OK 750 kg in the 5% tolerance as the chassis can take it.

Really I should just keep away from Mobile.de.

Ho Hum

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back