Travelling to France, Spain & Portugal with Dog (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Funster No
Hi There, Any advice on taking your dog on a trip would be most welcome. We hope to be away in Mid March early April travelling through France down to Spain, possibly to Portugal as well, in our Swift Bolero taking our young Springer Spaniel. It's our first long trip abroad , possibly for about 5/6 weeks. Any advice on taking your pet abroad would be welcome. We hope to cross from Poole to Cherbourg. (We live in Weymouth). Anyone encountered any problems with taking their dog abroad with them? Many thanks.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Never encountered any problems. Just make sure you have the passport and jabs up to date. Foods are readily available but if your dog is fussy best take meals with you. On your chosen crossing your dog may well have to remain in the van you may have to check this out and make sure your pet doesn't get upset at being left alone.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
On short ferries we stop in van with the mutt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Poole to Cherbourg dogs stay in motorhomes and it’s a four and half hour crossing. I think you can book a visit to your motorhome about half way across the channel but don’t think you can take them out. When you get off at Cherbourg there is plenty of space to pull over and let them out for a tinkle. Other than that get your jabs, or your dogs jabs and away you go . Happy travels. (y)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
How does your dog cope with heat ?
And what to provide for it.
Fetch enough food for the trip as food for the dog is expensive in Portugal.
Any Meds.
Tic removers 2 sizes.
Tic collar.
Bags, And spade just in case.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
No probs,just go and enjoy. Took "Sassy" to Lake Konigssee ? Bertesgardner land? Germany,went down to the boat tour area,asked about taking her and. "Yes,OK" and we got a ticket for the... "Hund?".
Dogs are not a problem,go for it!
Tea Bag

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Always take our dogs. Use the tunnel so you can stay with them.
We also take food as one is on a prescription diet. Once they've eaten it the space can be used for wine on the return trip.
Just need passport and visit to vet24hr to 5 days before return to UK. Vets charge more the closer to the channel ports they are. We have ours done 300miles away.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We always go via the tunnel - very quick and easy. Make sure you get the rabies vaccination in good time as you need to wait 21 days (I think that's the correct number of days) from the date of vaccination to the day of travel. You also need to take your dog to a vet prior to return to the Uk for a wormer. This needs to be no more than a week and no less than 24 hrs before travel. You won't be able to travel without this.

We take enough of his food with us to last the whole trip. We also take his Advocate flea treatment and tick removers, shampoo and towels and of course his bedding.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If in Southern Europe, go to a local vet and get a Scalibor collar. Protect against sand flies mainly ( can be fatal) but all sorts of other nasties. Cost around €20 depending where you buy one, cheaper in Portugal than Spain. Other than that, nothing! Dogs are more welcome everywhere!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We also take their Advocate and Advantix (ticks, sandflies) but having forgotten once these are easily obtained from a pharmacy that does vetinary stuff, and on that occasion were cheaper than UK.
We stop every couple of hours on a long run for a toilet break, though we need it more than the dogs.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
And watch out for prossesion catapillers.:eek:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
An invaluable asset is the @KeithChesterfield vet list. I haven't got the link handy, but I'm sure another Funster could supply it.

Malcolm

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
On short ferries we stop in van with the mutt.
Wasn't aware that you could stay in the van on any crossings, certainly not on the dover/Calais crossing which is around 75 minutes but you do stay in the van on the train whether or not the dog is with you or not.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We've been taking dogs since the passport scheme was introduced. Never found the vet appointment thing a problem. Usually just walk into a vets and they immediately see cash signs and give you immediate attention. However if we have a definite return date we use the following method...when getting off the ferry from uk drive a comfortable distance, stop overnight and then book appointment at that location for the return. Finding dog beaches can be problematic in some locations but we have found some good acsi sites with beaches outside them where dogs are 'tolerated'. In some parts of Europe having a muzzle in the van is a good idea as in some places you will need them on public transport. The above advice on tics is also good, our dog picked up 9 tics in one day in the Dordogne. I personally would never let my dog off the lead in certain areas because of the threat of things like processionary caterpillars although these are only a threat at certain times of year.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On your return journey visit a Vet well south of the ferry ports as they are much cheaper for the Pet Passport requirement. E.g. Calais 52€, our local Vet in Burgundy 11€ for exactly the same service.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
How does your dog cope with heat ?
And what to provide for it.
Fetch enough food for the trip as food for the dog is expensive in Portugal.
Any Meds.
Tic removers 2 sizes.
Tic collar.
Bags, And spade just in case.

UK branded petfood can be expensive but so is all other UK branded stuff. Local food is just as good. Make sure thst the pet passport is correctly filled in as thst can cause hassle and delays. Dates must be written in full for example. Most ferry companies require muzzles if the dogs are allowed out the vehicle. Rules on dogs in public transport vary so check, also in some places they are not allowed in taxis. Bags are becoming more readily available and affordable and in some places free. Where we are in Portugal there are dispensers all over town and regularly restocked.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Wasn't aware that you could stay in the van on any crossings, certainly not on the dover/Calais crossing which is around 75 minutes but you do stay in the van on the train whether or not the dog is with you or not.
How do they know we're in there? Chance to have a kip and avoid the crowds and noise upstairs.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How do they know we're in there? Chance to have a kip and avoid the crowds and noise upstairs.
Well they probably wouldn't but it's against Maritime Law to be in a vehicle whilst sailing or actually, on the lower car decks. That's why the decks are locked during the crossing

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well they probably wouldn't but it's against Maritime Law to be in a vehicle whilst sailing or actually, on the lower car decks. That's why the decks are locked during the crossing
It's against the law to speed, but we all do it.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Poole to Cherbourg dogs stay in motorhomes and it’s a four and half hour crossing. I think you can book a visit to your motorhome about half way across the channel but don’t think you can take them out. When you get off at Cherbourg there is plenty of space to pull over and let them out for a tinkle. Other than that get your jabs, or your dogs jabs and away you go . Happy travels. (y)
Yes they do let you take them out for 5/10 mins for a wee, not sure if it's official but happens when we use this crossing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
None. But loads of other vans pull curtains on, lock doors and get in the back.

Would have thought with the high terror alert that is in place now days you could be putting yourself in a dicky position if caught,,,,BUSBY:eek::eek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Would have thought with the high terror alert that is in place now days you could be putting yourself in a dicky position if caught,,,,BUSBY:eek::eek:
It's nothing to do with terror. I can't see any link ???

Ship staff walk about the deck. We're having a kip on same deck. Hardly crime of the century.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Ship staff walk about the deck. We're having a kip on same deck. Hardly crime of the century.

Have you done your that on the Cadiz - Arrecifi crossing?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I didn't say it was but just saying with the heightened security the reaction by staff on board could lets say could be a little bit more responsive than normal if they see a person in a motorhome who should at the time not be there,, You please yourself,,BUSBY:):)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Have you done your that on the Cadiz - Arrecifi crossing?
Yes. Three times :)

Saves paying for a cabin.

The dog kennels were on same deck as my camper. When I went to put Elvis back in his cage, after his walkies, I just got back into camper :)

But now they'v changed location of kennels to the top deck.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Yes. Three times :)

Saves paying for a cabin.

The dog kennels were on same deck as my camper. When I went to put Elvis back in his cage, after his walkies, I just got back into camper :)

But now they'v changed location of kennels to the top deck.

Yes they have - no chance of doing that now! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back