Travelling safely with dog in pvc (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Looking for ideas of how to travel safely and legally with standard labradoodle incase of accident ... ideally he’ll be lying under the table behind the front seats as my son will be there and that stops him (dog) panicking! I presume he needs restraining but how?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm interested in any solutions being offered after adopting a Rotti dog a few weeks ago.

On first inspection our own pup looks a tad too big for the seats to be comfortable.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Look on Amazon for Mudder Dog

Amazon product ASIN B06Y2Y16FL
There are alternatives.

They do a lead that has a shock absorbing section in the middle, a seat belt fitting at one end and a standard collar clip at the other.

However, do not secure your pet by its collar, you should use a proper harness, or the poor thing is likely to be seriously injured or even killed by the forces delivered in a crash. You can get both on Amazon.

If your seat belts are all used by passengers, you can get a spare seat belt receptacle (the part with the red release button) from a car scrap yard and bolt it somewhere convenient for your dog to sit while travelling. The receptacle does not need to be secured to the chassis as for a human passenger as the weight of your dog is so much lower than a person.

Dennis

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Look on Amazon for Mudder Dog

Amazon product ASIN B06Y2Y16FL
There are alternatives.

They do a lead that has a shock absorbing section in the middle, a seat belt fitting at one end and a standard collar clip at the other.

However, do not secure your pet by its collar, you should use a proper harness, or the poor thing is likely to be seriously injured or even killed by the forces delivered in a crash. You can get both on Amazon.

If your seat belts are all used by passengers, you can get a spare seat belt receptacle (the part with the red release button) from a car scrap yard and bolt it somewhere convenient for your dog to sit while travelling. The receptacle does not need to be secured to the chassis as for a human passenger as the weight of your dog is so much lower than a person.

Dennis

That's very useful Dennis - many thanks.(y)

I'll take a look as our pup (once fully reabiliated) will weigh about 50-55kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We use a ‘Pet Tube’ keeps all four of ours safe for travelling. Its also their bed at night and it’s great in the car too! Similar to this. https://www.manomano.co.uk/car-acce...MIudrikpec3gIVCuR3Ch1RFwPAEAQYCiABEgJzAvD_BwE

Strangely we were just chatting about this subject. All animals need to be restrained in a car with owners being fined if animals are loose. They then list the animals and number 6 on the list is...............FISH! :smirk:

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks. I think we will need to keep the 4 human seat belts free .... do they have to clip into a seatbelt or can they be clipped onto another fixing attached to the MH?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a ‘Pet Tube’ keeps all four of ours safe for travelling. Its also their bed at night and it’s great in the car too! Similar to this. https://www.manomano.co.uk/car-acce...MIudrikpec3gIVCuR3Ch1RFwPAEAQYCiABEgJzAvD_BwE
Not seen those before but I doubt it would give much 'protection/restraint' in an accident as the tube itself has not real structure to it, better than nothing though.

Highway code Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

Strangely we were just chatting about this subject. All animals need to be restrained in a car with owners being fined if animals are loose. They then list the animals and number 6 on the list is...............FISH! :smirk:
Fish as in a tank/container etc - that's what needs to be secured ... I don't think they intent is for you to try to put a harness on a fish! :D2

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have 3 short lengths of chain securely screwed to the floor. Each has a clip on to attach to their harnesses. This leaves the seats and seatbelts free to use for passengers. The dogs have padded beds to lay or sleep on.
An average 15 - 20kg dog would have the force of a quarter of a tonne in an accident. They could be severely injured or injure you if left unsecured

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I'm interested in any solutions being offered after adopting a Rotti dog a few weeks ago.

On first inspection our own pup looks a tad too big for the seats to be comfortable.
Ours (medium size)lays in her own bed on the floor with her harness clipped onto the seatbelt webbing which is fastened as normal so it has some movement as she moves but would lock up on serious braking.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ok. @MinxyGirl because you know everything there is to know about Campscouts :D .... where would you attach a fixing and how could you attach it to be secure to required rating? I’m thinking dînette area as that’s where Yogi will probably want to be.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Not seen those before but I doubt it would give much 'protection/restraint' in an accident as the tube itself has not real structure to it, better than nothing though.

Highway code Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

Fish as in a tank/container etc - that's what needs to be secured ... I don't think they intent is for you to try to put a harness on a fish! :D2

It has restraints so you can tie it down. And in the car it goes across the entire back seat, is wedge between fron and back with the restraints round each seat. So very secure. In the motorhome it’s restrained round the captains seats and the t blue leg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It has restraints so you can tie it down. And in the car it goes across the entire back seat, is wedge between fron and back with the restraints round each seat. So very secure. In the motorhome it’s restrained round the captains seats and the t blue leg.
Ah, I see, so am I correct to assume you have it on the floor behind the captains seats/under the table (I assume the t blue leg is the table leg! :D) rather than on the rear travel seats which was my concern.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ok. @MinxyGirl because you know everything there is to know about Campscouts :D .... where would you attach a fixing and how could you attach it to be secure to required rating? I’m thinking dînette area as that’s where Yogi will probably want to be.
Now then ... you stop being cheeky ... I never professed to knowing everything about anything. :D

I would tend to favour fixing it to the back of the front passenger seat utilising one of the existing bolts there on the door side as that will be a 'strong point' already and will hold the dog under the table area, rather than it being able to potter into the corridor. Alternatively you could look to attach it to the metal work under the dinette seat but this would involve cutting/making a hole in the front base panel and in an accident could then pull the panel off/damage the seat!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, I see, so am I correct to assume you have it on the floor behind the captains seats/under the table (I assume the t blue leg is the table leg! :D) rather than on the rear travel seats which was my concern.
Yes, on the floor. It’s actually quite big and wouldn’t fit on the side facing bench seats (which is all we have) with no seat belts!

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wherever you secure the fixing point, be careful that the pet cannot wander into the cab area while you are driving. It would be a massive distraction and possibly get in the way of you safely operating the vehicle. (and certainly would constitute an offence). Behind, or fastened to, the cab seats feels a little too close and you would need a very short leash which would really restrict him / her.

For users of the seat belt fixing type who don't have a spare seat belt point, buy a D shackle (search Amazon), then you can thread your safety leash around something secure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wherever you secure the fixing point, be careful that the pet cannot wander into the cab area while you are driving. It would be a massive distraction and possibly get in the way of you safely operating the vehicle. (and certainly would constitute an offence). Behind, or fastened to, the cab seats feels a little too close and you would need a very short leash which would really restrict him / her.
You don't want to have the leash too long as that would allow the dog to be 'hurled' forward more before the 'twang' as it snapped tight which could cause a lot more injury.

For users of the seat belt fixing type who don't have a spare seat belt point, buy a D shackle (search Amazon), then you can thread your safety leash around something secure.
Good idea to save having to buy a seat-belt attachment.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Highway code Rule 57

Bloody Hell, where will I keep the chips?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Some layouts may allow for a Dog Grill to keep them at the rear or under a bed etc.

Make sure you use the correct grill.......

upload_2018-10-24_9-55-13.jpeg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Highway code Rule 57

I'd just pop the fish in the fresh water tank lol

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We've put 4 Snoopy Loops between our dog's harnesses and the seat belt connections to allow a bit of "give" rather than a sudden shock.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I think a cage would be good enough.....
C4C61378-9929-4F24-B466-6A55978D3157.jpeg

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Now that we're finally getting our van (March-ish next year), we're going to work on getting our two used to wearing a harness in the car and secured on the seat belt connections - they're usually crated but we don't want to mess about with having to take a crate in the van, plus the one in the car is smaller than we'd use if we were giving them plenty of stretching room and anyway we'd have to find a way to secure it to stop it moving around.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've fitted two of these in our PVC. They are about 40mm across and are fixed to the bodywork of the van, not internal woodwork. I used very substantial self-tapping screws, the countersunk heads are about 10mm across. Where the rings are fitted in the event of a head on crash the force on the screws will be in sheer. If you had to fit them on say a back wall you would be best advised to use bolts. Our dog is also only 10Kg, for a heavier dog I would also recommend bolts.

Where you put them will depend on vehicle layout of course. I also use a very short webbing loop made for climbers and bought in Go Outdoors.

Just Google stainless steel folding D ring. In the photo below the green rope is attached to the dog lead but this on for when we stop, not travelling. The karabiner came with the harness. :)

DSC_0777.JPG

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Diving term for elasticated band old innertube cut down to secure items allowing some movement or bungee cord i suppose
Exactly. Rings of old bike, or car inner tube. Once you start using them you'll find loads of applications. I use a couple in my awning storm guys just to build in a bit of give, for example. Also use them to on dog collars if they're a bit too long, on the dog leads to hold the "poo bag dispenser" parallel to the lead so it doesn't flop around all over The place. Also put a couple around a small pen light torch to make it easier to hold in my teeth when it's "one of those jobs in a dark corner".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back