Travelling in Europe with a MAUW of 4000kg (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2019
lancs
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo
Exp
Since 2018
Can anyone advise of how we use the Tolls in France. Do the operators know the Max weight of our Motorhome, or do we have to tell them. Also does anyone know how much more it costs compared with a Motorhome up to 3.5 tons. Ours is 4 tonnes max weight.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Errr NO @John Cheetham the only time the weight may catch up with you is when the Gendarmes stop you and weigh you the Toll Barriers only Measure HEIGHT Class 2 is under 3m though if you are close becareful as some tolls measure low (Well the last one on the A16 does B***h made me PAY for class three refused to come and measure manually )

Oh BTW I'm 4.25T too but beware IF you do get stopped then the Autoroute will want to claw back all their underpaid tolls with interest but AFAIK there are only 2 Gendarme vans equipped with scales and they concentrate on trucks

For tolls go on the Autoroute Website and see the toll options normally Camping Cars 3.5T are Class 2 whilst Camping Cars >3.5T are Class 3

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We're 5ton ,got caught on a french toll road near Paris , they charged class 3, no amount of arguing made a difference, keep off them if you can ,the a roads are great,

Deleted User
(Well the last one on the A16 does B***h made me PAY for class three refused to come and measure manually )

We're 5ton ,got caught on a french toll road near Paris , they charged class 3, no amount of arguing made a difference, keep off them if you can ,the a roads are great,

That's because you were class 3, why should you be upset about being charged the correct toll?

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We are TAG Axle and have never been charged over Class 2. We always use the tolls. If it charges you at a higher class, just pay what it asks. Dont see any point in arguing as they are 99% automated.

Some you win, some you loose.

(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Eaiser to use the national roads then you don't have to worry about feeling you have been ripped off after paying tolls.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That's because you were class 3, why should you be upset about being charged the correct toll?
Because for 2000 miles travelling always charged class 2 and my credit and debit cards wouldn't work had just 15€ cash thank goodness the toll was 12€ - not a gey at paying just her attitude that she was right on the height of the Motorhome and I the owner was wrong

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Eaiser to use the national roads then you don't have to worry about feeling you have been ripped off after paying tolls.

Not sure why you should feel ripped off as you enter a contract with the peage company when you drive through the first toll booth, they provide the road, you pay for that service. Why should you feel ripped off?

I also agree that the national roads are good, but not if you need/want to make progress.

Mick

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@tuscancouple First part of your posting I agree with 100%.

The second part it depends if you are A: in a rush and B: how much of a rush. An example we posted on another link:- Gemozac 17260 to Benidorm Spain is 1000kms, give or take.

The route using no tolls, Bordeaux, A65 south to J17 Mont de Marsan, Orthez, Oloron St Marie, Somport tunnel, Zaragozo and onwards took 2 hours longer than the peage route and cost 90 euros in tolls less, we drove at 80kph except where higher speeds were allowed but only very rarely exceed 95kph but less through the villages.

In our personal circumstances, we are not worried by an extra 2 hours driving overall and find the route much more interesting, fuel consumption is less, stress is lower, more interesting places to stop for a snack, or picnic and finally, and most importantly for a well instructed Yorkshireman, it's cheaper.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nothing stressful about driving on the peage in fact usually less traffic set your cruise control and away you go, I find roundabouts and sleeping policemen and 50kph speed limits stressful especially towing a trailer.(y)(y)(y)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Yep just blown a tyre not looking out properly and hit a speed bump at well speed!!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Not sure why you should feel ripped off as you enter a contract with the peage company when you drive through the first toll booth, they provide the road, you pay for that service. Why should you feel ripped off?

I also agree that the national roads are good, but not if you need/want to make progress.

Mick
I just drove down from Brittany to the south of France in a 3.5 ton hire van that is 3.2 metres high. The tolls just cost me €127 one way and I am going back the same route tomorrow.
That’s €254. I feel well ripped off by the charges (and yes, I was entering into a contract with the toll companies but their charges are way too high)
This is one reason we never to use toll roads unless absolutely necessary.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I just drove down from Brittany to the south of France in a 3.5 ton hire van that is 3.2 metres high. The tolls just cost me €127 one way and I am going back the same route tomorrow.
That’s €254. I feel well ripped off by the charges (and yes, I was entering into a contract with the toll companies but their charges are way too high)
This is one reason we never to use toll roads unless absolutely necessary.
gilet jaune mon ami?

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
8CCA3EE7-DC98-46FE-9A84-8FFD37AFBEA8.jpeg
More ‘good’ news:

Steadycam

Free Member
Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
We get round the tolls by driving in Germany. €0.00 for 1240 miles. Happy days

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I feel well ripped off by the charges (and yes, I was entering into a contract with the toll companies but their charges are way too high

How do you quantify that the charges are to high? What would you regard as a fair charge? Are you aware of their running costs, extra wear caused by heavy vehicles, staff wages, etc? They have a business to run and need to make an operating profit to keep in business. They are not a charity. If you feel the charges are to high, don't use the peage.

Mick

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
If you have applied for a Crit Air I am guessing they already have your weight possibly on a central database? as you have to supply them with a copy of the first page of your V5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back