Travel to Scotland (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Does anyone know for certain what the situation will be for travelling between England and Scotland after 26th April. The Scottish government plan to lift travel restrictions but is that only throughout Scotland. I have a need to pop across the border into Scotland but don't have genuine reason under the current exemptions.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for that, the official statement is
  • travel within all of mainland Scotland permitted (subject to other restrictions that remain in place)
Not sure if that means cross border travel as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its not been confirmed yet but the latest was it might be open on the 26th April or hopefully shortly thereafter. Its a wait n see at the moment.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As Sandra says it should open up on the 26th and I think the Scottish government are announcing its plans on the 19th/20th.

At this current time I believe we will open up in tiers with the whole country in T3, I also believe this will change come the 26th. If it doesn’t change then we can only travel within our local area unless we have a essential reason to travel, these reasons are listed on Scot gov. Purely my opinion on this, if we open like this then no cross border travel would be allowed as England aren’t doing a tier system.

This is only my thoughts and could be wrong which I hope it is as we’re booked to travel on the 26th, we have the van getting it’s first hab service at Strathclyde park site by a local mobile guy. We then plan on heading to Angus for the week. If not allowed I could book to view several houses in that area as that’s allowed as essential travel 😂

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
M’y understanding was that, as of 26th, travel within Scotland would be allowed but not necessarily cross border, which would hopefully follow shortly after. I guess it’s to see how much cases in England increase with easing.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
M’y understanding was that, as of 26th, travel within Scotland would be allowed but not necessarily cross border, which would hopefully follow shortly after. I’ll be absolutely gutted if we’re still confined to our local authority. I guess it’s to see how much cases in England increase with easing.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If they do allow cross border travel from the 26th then the A74, A68 and A1 are sure going to be busy for the first few days or so.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If they do allow cross border travel from the 26th then the A74, A68 and A1 are sure going to be busy for the first few days or so.
Got to agree with you,the number of people wanting to go and do the nc500 will turn it into the M25 of the North.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The A1 into Norhumberland was busy with m/hs and caravans yesterday; no idea of course how far they were going................................

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
M’y understanding was that, as of 26th, travel within Scotland would be allowed but not necessarily cross border, which would hopefully follow shortly after. I’ll be absolutely gutted if we’re still confined to our local authority. I guess it’s to see how much cases in England increase with easing.
Looking at the film footage all over Twitter of the pub reopening in Soho, it will be surprising if there isn't an upsurge by 26th April.

Steve

OP
OP

Deleted User
The A1 into Norhumberland was busy with m/hs and caravans yesterday; no idea of course how far they were going................................
Probably queuing up at Carter Bar waiting for the 'off'. :giggle:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
NS is currently on BBC2 updating on COVID 19 restrictions

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is only my thoughts and could be wrong which I hope it is as we’re booked to travel on the 26th, we have the van getting it’s first hab service at Strathclyde park site by a local mobile guy.
Gerry, are staying overnight on the site? Have you got a slot booked on the gravel work area with the wardens?
Just asking as the wardens are two of the club warden trainers and are sticklers for the rules. You're not allowed to get work done on your pitch.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
lorger I found that pretty confusing ... am I allowed to drive to our house in Torridon on Friday and stay there for the weekend with people I normally live with?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry, are staying overnight on the site? Have you got a slot booked on the gravel work area with the wardens?
Just asking as the wardens are two of the club warden trainers and are sticklers for the rules. You're not allowed to get work done on your pitch.
Tell me about it :) They have said we will need to leave our pitch when the guy comes, this isn't a problem for us and the guy said he could do it out in the car park if necessary. He does a few in their service/storage area and knows the wardens and has said he'll sort it out with them when he arrives, it's not a problem as we'll just go a walk round the loch.

He is also going to have a look at some minor warranty work as Don Amotts have giving him permission and will sort out payment for Knaus, this is due to him being an Knaus approved caravan service centre.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
lorger I found that pretty confusing ... am I allowed to drive to our house in Torridon on Friday and stay there for the weekend with people I normally live with?
My reading of the statement is that staying overnight is not permitted. I may be wrong.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
My reading of the statement is that staying overnight is not permitted. I may be wrong.
My reading is that you can stay for essential purposes only - not for a holiday.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Doesn't say that in the BBC briefing, just no overnight stays. I assume that'll happen on the 26th as previously announced..

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Doesn't say that in the BBC briefing, just no overnight stays. I assume that'll happen on the 26th as previously announced..

As stated on the Scottish gov website.... https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pages/protection-level-4/

“Travel for the purposes of undertaking essential work on a property other than your main residence must not be used as a pretext for a holiday. You should not stay longer than for the length of time required to undertake the necessary work.”

I think this means that if you have to stay overnight whilst fixing essential issues, such as water leaks, roofing problems etc then who can stay overnight. BUT not so you can have a nice few days out.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
As stated on the Scottish gov website.... https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pages/protection-level-4/

“Travel for the purposes of undertaking essential work on a property other than your main residence must not be used as a pretext for a holiday. You should not stay longer than for the length of time required to undertake the necessary work.”

I think this means that if you have to stay overnight whilst fixing essential issues, such as water leaks, roofing problems etc then who can stay overnight. BUT not so you can have a nice few days out.
And do you think everyone is going to pay attention to that ?
There was guy hauled out of the Devils pulpit on a stretcher at the weekend, him and his mates had travelled from Dundee. 😡

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes still unclear in my opinion, she said you could travel anywhere in Scotland then went on to say not on holiday until the 26th. I would think if you where travelling to your own property that shouldn't be an issue.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Yes still unclear in my opinion, she said you could travel anywhere in Scotland then went on to say not on holiday until the 26th. I would think if you where travelling to your own property that shouldn't be an issue.
But not to stay overnight unless for essential reasons, even in your own (second) property.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
All this just shows the rules/guidelines whatever are overly complex and ambiguous. I'm hunkering down for another couple of weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back