Trailer hitch lock while mobile? (1 Viewer)

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Hi. I want something that will secure the trailer hitch handle, partly as an anti-theft measure but mainly to ensure that the hitch handle doesn't lift and disconnect while driving.
I've seen it stated that these locks shouldn't be used while driving as they may interfere with the mobility of the ball joint, but I'd have thought that something should be available to tackle this.
The trailer is an Erdé 102.
Views and suggested products would be welcome. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think locks made by the hitch manufacture will interfere with the hitch operation but if there was to be an accident or fire the emergency services couldn't unhitch the car, caravan or trailer.....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sure the erde range use basic pressed steel hitchs.
Other than the standard (and useless) insertable brass lock barrel I've never seen a hitchlock for these hitch other than the ball and U bolt type.
To stop the handle lifting, which is highly unlikely, you could fasten a plastic tie-wrap around the handle and body.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Mine has a built in lock which I lock all the time we are using the trailer it could prevent as you say hitch lifting but also someone stealing your car and trailer.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it's mainly as a "peace of mind" why don't you just put a long U-bolt over the hitch handle and a bar under the drawbar? Having said that never fitted anything to our Caddy trailer but we don't leave it unattended.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
IMG_0321.JPG

Simple solution that works for me, can't lift hitch whether it's on the car or sat in the driveway.

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Thank you one and all for your input. I like the idea of a plastic tie. I think I have a fair old stock of them. And, yes, it is mainly a question of peace of mind. I have a wheel lock thing for when parked at, say, a service station.
Ooooh, d'you know, I'm having ever such fun prepping for this France trip!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have the same hitch on our a-frame and have the lock which is still in it's packet!:rolleyes:

PS Hope nobody can read this ... don't want to start another battle.;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks a decent bit of kit but a determined tea-leaf will unbolt the hitch and replace with their own.
Alko and box type locks cover the fixing bolts so it's impossible to remove the hitch without removing the lock and of course, once the locks off there's no need to remove the hitch..

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Looks like there's no simple way to solve this one. I'll go with the cable ties and wheel lock, I think.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A
Looks a decent bit of kit but a determined tea-leaf will unbolt the hitch and replace with their own.
Alko and box type locks cover the fixing bolts so it's impossible to remove the hitch without removing the lock and of course, once the locks off there's no need to remove the hitch..
Determined thief will carry a battery-powered angle grinder! To secure an unattended trailer on site or when stored takes a lot more than any hitch lock. I like the Bradley hitch when stopped in motorway services or Supermarket car-parks or on most sites. Mainly because it is easy to use and never forgotten. Bolts aren't too hard to thief-proof anyway - just use a conventional nut, socket-head bolt, and a dab of weld.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My trailer has a pressed steel hitch by Alko .
You can lift the lever but it won't release the ball until a trigger, under the lever, is pulled and the lever lifted even further.

You can see the trigger and safety pin in the piccy
$_35.jpg

It won't cure the security problem but will definately stop the cup becoming unhitched.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My trailer has a pressed steel hitch by Alko .
You can lift the lever but it won't release the ball until a trigger, under the lever, is pulled and the lever lifted even further.

You can see the trigger and safety pin in the piccy
View attachment 184897

It won't cure the security problem but will definately stop the cup becoming unhitched.
And if you drill right through the side,just in front of the first bolt hole you can put a bolt through and drill opposite end and use a padlock.cant lift even using trigger or come off.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming your erde trailer is unbraked then by law it requires a secondary connection to the towing vehicle. This is to ensure that if the normal hitch detaches the trailer will still stay with the towing vehicle. Secondary coupling could be a short length of chain attached to tow bar and trailer drawn at for example.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Shouldn't that read 'the trailer will destroy a fair sized portion of the towing vehicle'

Not really, the secondary coupling should ensure the trailer doesn't run away from its towing vehicle and run into something or someone else. Obviously it will cause some damage to the towing vehicle but that should be significantly less than a 3/4 tonne trailer bowling across a road at 50 mph and running into an incoming vehicle would cause.

D.

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Aye, that's very true, @dave newell lvs and @pappajohn . I've done enough drilling to last me a while, but may just do that when we get back. Meanwhile, we're trying to work out how to set up the Harrison Enclosure on the Fiamma 45 Elegance awning. What a carry on!. And it's not even really a drive-away, relying asd it does on the Fiamma awning as a roof! I'm going to stop worrying and just get on the road. Leave the fretting to 'er indoors. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not really, the secondary coupling should ensure the trailer doesn't run away from its towing vehicle and run into something or someone else. Obviously it will cause some damage to the towing vehicle but that should be significantly less than a 3/4 tonne trailer bowling across a road at 50 mph and running into an incoming vehicle would cause.

D.
It was a tongue in cheek comment Dave. :D

I did have a major mishap many years ago with a trailer.
Single axle unbraked box trailer about 6ft6in x 3ft6in slightly :whistle: overloaded with rubble and soil.
The hitch remained coupled but the wheel, hub, swing arm and rubbers parted company.
The indespension body split open due to heavy corrosion.
The free parts overtook me as the trailer acted as a ground anchor and the wheel etc dived between two parked cars hitting a garden wall before stopping....never damaged anything luckily.
Thank goodness it was a quiet town back road and not a main road.
Ever since then I've been a stickler for trailer maintenence.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
We had one of these for locking our trailer Alko hitch, it doesnt interfere with a standard Alko hitch it simply encases the release handle in steel and has a lockable pin underneath making it impossible to unhitch.

We always towed with it in place as it meant you could park up without fear of some wideboy nicking the trailer while we were away.
Amazon product ASIN B004DE8MTK
It also comes with a ball thingy for the hitch itself when the trailer is off its hitch that again stops anyone hitching up to it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back