Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
Today's question is.
When we get a Autosleeper Symbol (yes we've decided) that's belonged to someone who has looked after it and loved it.
Do we fit a tracker??
I'm guessing that insurance companies will love it, I'm assuming that if it's stolen, we will have a better chance of being reunited with it.

Any advice funsters
Julie and Charles

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi both (and thanks for the mensh in your other thread - you're very welcome).

An approved tracker will always be viewed favourably by the insurance companies - in fact over a certain value most will insist on it. Whether you want the peace of mind against the cost has to be a personal decision, but it must be an approved installation to qualify. Eddie VanBitz does a popular one, but they don't come cheap.

Best answer, now that you've decided on a vehicle - incidentally we're all delighted for you :Grin:- is to talk to a few insurance brokers/companies. I've always found Comfort Insurance very helpful and reasonably priced and they have a lot of positive responses on the Reviews section, but there are others so do shop around.

Looks like you've had a bit of a whirlwind weekend! Look forward to meeting you somewhere on the road in your new van.
w2f

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ring and ask your insurer. We've got one fitted and subscription was free for the first year. For the second year I rang the insurance company and asked if renewing the tracker would make any difference. The answer was no, so I didn't bother...
Perhaps nobody wants an Elddis van :( It's kept in a garage though, whether that makes any difference? (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All down to the value of the van.

Over a certain amount the insurance company will insist on a Thatcham Cat 5 or Cat 6 tracker.

These have to be fitted by an approved installer, you can't do it yourself or have it fitted by any random numpty. There are no exceptions to this whatever sales people might try and tell you.

The DIY fit ones you can find on Amazon and eBay are fine if you just want it for your peace of mind but a complete waste of time and money for anything else.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Thanks funsters,
We will call our insurance company and comfort insurance. We will also look at vanbitz and do everything we can to get everything we want lined up for when we get our van.
The show weekend was worth every penny for us, we got to meet some of this lovely group, got lots of advice, and realised that, however much we spent on it, it will give the same pleasure.
We don't want to overstretch our budget, then we won't be able to go away.
We found the advice given over the last couple of weeks very helpful.
We love The Autosleeper brand for build quality, the symbol is more affordable and slightly bigger than the Topaz, also the symbol is more readily available.
The Topaz is almost extinct.

Looking forward to going to see some of these armed with all our new knowledge.
Thank you all for your responses and help and advice.

Julie

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
When we got our van we considered trackers, but financially they didn't add up, the annual cost will outweigh any savings in insurance.

Would it be a deterrent? Don't know, at night if the van is stolen would any scrotes even know there is a tracker fitted?

Finally if it was stolen, to be honest not sure if I would want it back anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Today's question is.
When we get a Autosleeper Symbol (yes we've decided) that's belonged to someone who has looked after it and loved it.
Do we fit a tracker??
I'm guessing that insurance companies will love it, I'm assuming that if it's stolen, we will have a better chance of being reunited with it.

Any advice funsters
Julie and Charles

Just popped off for a look, it's a super camper, and very posh. hope you find one soon x:clap2::clap2:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we got our van we considered trackers, but financially they didn't add up, the annual cost will outweigh any savings in insurance.

Over a certain value, which varies from insurer to insurer but is usually around the £60-70k region, it doesn't matter whether it adds up financially for you or not, you won't have a choice. They will require a Cat 5 or 6 tracker as a basic condition of the insurance. If you won't fit one they won't insure you, simple as that. The premium won't be any cheaper with the tracker but it won't be offered at all without one. (y)

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Trackers are not necessary and, in my mind, not worth their cost. Save your pennies for the outings.
Agree re necessity but subject to @NickNic comments.

We had no choice at all, cat5 required by insurance people as well as a cat 1 alarm* ..once value of van has decreased/insurers no longer require tracker, Ill save the annual subscription.

* edit - we actually were not insured for theft for 10 days during the gap between picking van up and being able to get to VanBitz for the alarm.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've just been going through the process of insuring our new van, today. For vans up to £100,000 in value, Safeguard require either a cat1 alarm or a tracker. Comfort require a cat 1 alarm for vehicles of value up to £75,000, or a tracker (no alarm necessary) over £75,000. Scenic require neither alarm nor tracker - but their premium was expensive.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you want to insure your van for more than £75k you may need to shop around a bit but there are insurers who will provide cover. You'll need an alarm and immobiliser though and, if they work, I'm not sure what need there is for a tracker.
Having a tracker should lower the premium but it's unlikely to cover the tracker's subscription fee.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Unless a condition of being insured a tracker is expensive to have compared with a quality alarm/immobiliser system due to the ongoing subscription fees.
I have always thought that if mine was stolen I wouldn't want it back.
They are though good for giving a good chance to get your vehicle back if that is important to you.
My insurers insisted on either an alarm or tracker due to the cost so I had the alarm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
We will be in the cheap seats.
We won't need a tracker with our budget.
Thanks for your advice funsters

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could get Eddie's boys to fit a non-starter system as well as an alarm. When you text the motorhome it tells you where it is and other bits of useful data :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As has been suggested, a tracker isn't essential but a reasonable alarm will give you some peace of mind. Although you see reports of MHs being stolen it is still a fairly rare event. What can happen though is while you are out shopping someone levers open a window (plastic windows and plastic catches usually) and makes off with whatever you left handy to be picked up.
So there is much more to security than a tracker. We have a safe fitted (part of the original vehicle specification) and always lock tablets and passports etc in there. An alarm with a loud siren inside the MH will encourage anyone who breaks in to leave quickly.
But we managed for several years without any of these and I didn't lose any sleep over it. However, we do now have a system which beeps if anyone has unchristian thoughts near it. But I'm not sure if it makes me sleep any better. :)

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We will be in the cheap seats.
We won't need a tracker with our budget.
Thanks for your advice funsters

If you are confident and a bit handy buy one of the ebay trackers for around £30 and use a PAYG sim in it.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Belatedly just read through this thread and surprised to see some insurers insist on trackers over a certain value . I'm insured with Safeguard who did not require one on my Hymer at £75 k from new and didn't for my previous RV valued well above that.
Only required Cat1 alarm immobiliser.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Having a tracker should lower the premium but it's unlikely to cover the tracker's subscription fee.[/QUOTE]
I had a tracker on my last van and it saved me £14 with caravan guard.
Tracker subscription was £199 a year or £399 for the life of ownership

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
@Julie and Charles
If you do go down the Van Bitz route don't forget to mention you are funsters from the word go. It's worth 10% discount.
We had one fitted ( tracker and non starter) earlier in the year, and yes we got a discount from Comfort of £18.00 so not a great deal but for peace of mind it's worth it to me.
Geoff

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Both insurance companies I have used offered small discounts on the basis that a self installed tracker was fitted. Both seemed far more interested in the fact we had reversing sensors together with rear cameras

The tracker is most useful to us as the generator of journey logs, letting our kids know where we are and a reassurance to us to know where the van is. It has also helped us find our way back to the M/H if we go exploring on foot/bus

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use a tracker on my dog for when we are 'wild walking' and can see his path and location down to a bush or barn in real time on a map on my phone, but I don't bother with one on my m/home. My dog is irreplaceable.
A bit muddy in bath. Jan 4 2016 (580x326).jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Belatedly just read through this thread and surprised to see some insurers insist on trackers over a certain value . I'm insured with Safeguard who did not require one on my Hymer at £75 k from new and didn't for my previous RV valued well above that.
Only required Cat1 alarm immobiliser.
I had a tracker on my last van and it saved me £14 with caravan guard.
Tracker subscription was £199 a year or £399 for the life of ownership.
My experiences are different. I was with Safeguard who required a Cat 1 alarm for my new Hymer, so off to Eddies we went when we first got it and got a Growler and non-starter. A year or two down the line the premiums for Safeguard were rising. I got a much better quote from Comfort on like for like basis, but they insisted on a monitored Cat 5 or 6 tracker. It was still cheaper to pay for one of those to be fitted and pay the first year's subs and go with Comfort, rather than stay with Safeguard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back