Towing with an A-Frame is Illegal in Spain (1 Viewer)

Camper21

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Near Dover
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
A new game
When we were using our A-Frame in Spain last year we were stopped by the police twice. However, both times they just checked my driving licence to make sure that I was licensed for the weight of trailer/car (800kgs/C1E).

One other time we were waved into the forecourt of a police station we were passing. The policeman who had pulled us over disappeared into the police station with our vehicle docs for about 15 mins before returning the docs and waving us away. My guess is that he was unable to establish that we were breaking any law (or had established that we weren't).

Camper21

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Near Dover
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
A new game
I have just looked at the UK Gov website quoted in the original post and the overview clearly states that it is for the use of UK citizens residing in Spain. Not an expert but my understanding in this context (towing with an A-Frame) is that anyone residing in Spain must fully comply with Spanish law rather than their own national laws. Most of us will be visiting rather than residing in Spain so I think that the guidance given on the website may not be applicable. Grateful for a professional view.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have just looked at the UK Gov website quoted in the original post and the overview clearly states that it is for the use of UK citizens residing in Spain. Not an expert but my understanding in this context (towing with an A-Frame) is that anyone residing in Spain must fully comply with Spanish law rather than their own national laws. Most of us will be visiting rather than residing in Spain so I think that the guidance given on the website may not be applicable. Grateful for a professional view.
The advice may be primarily aimed at people who live in Spain, rather than just visiting, but the relevant statement is "Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one." and not "Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain if you live there and you will be fined for using one."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got curious once upon a time and looked into this. My understanding of it was that it is not illegal in the UK so we should be ok with it in Spain. This was based on the rule that if it is is allowed in your own country then 'you' are allowed to in other EU countries.

That being said, we can't expect every nations policemen to be up to date on all other countries rules and regulations. As this is illegal in Spain expect to get pulled. As is the case in this country you may find a good copper who is prepared to listen and research, or you may find one that is an officious idiot and he may take it all the way. That is the risk you take...

My personal view of it is.. I don't want people coming to my country and expecting to be able to get exemptions from the law just because it is allowed in their country. It is only good manners therefore to behave well and obey the laws and customs of the country you are visiting even if you can get away with doing otherwise even if on a technicality. For this reason and the fact I can't be arsed dealing with problems when on holiday I wouldn't use an A frame in Spain.

If you are prepared to break the local laws (even though you are allowed to) and can deal with the potential agro then that is up to you.

Anyway, I am not a Lawyer so my research and opinion means nothing, and to be honest I don't really give a stuff. I just cracked a beer and thought I would join in :whistle::D

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Super Mike,

What oil do you use and what are your tyre pressures?

Any quality synthetic oil 10/40 changed every 5000 miles. Manufacturers recommend switching to synthetic after 10k.
8.1L Vortec, now having done 13k is getting smoother all the time.

Front 90psi, rear duals 95psi.

Why ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
With grey waste valve open no doubt :eek:

And black LarryHarry. Never do things by half measures. In for a penny, and all that. The VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan told me I should do it like that. Why, is he not correct ? :sneaky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I got curious once upon a time and looked into this. My understanding of it was that it is not illegal in the UK so we should be ok with it in Spain. This was based on the rule that if it is is allowed in your own country then 'you' are allowed to in other EU countries.

That being said, we can't expect every nations policemen to be up to date on all other countries rules and regulations. As this is illegal in Spain expect to get pulled. As is the case in this country you may find a good copper who is prepared to listen and research, or you may find one that is an officious idiot and he may take it all the way. That is the risk you take...

My personal view of it is.. I don't want people coming to my country and expecting to be able to get exemptions from the law just because it is allowed in their country. It is only good manners therefore to behave well and obey the laws and customs of the country you are visiting even if you can get away with doing otherwise even if on a technicality. For this reason and the fact I can't be arsed dealing with problems when on holiday I wouldn't use an A frame in Spain.

If you are prepared to break the local laws (even though you are allowed to) and can deal with the potential agro then that is up to you.

Anyway, I am not a Lawyer so my research and opinion means nothing, and to be honest I don't really give a stuff. I just cracked a beer and thought I would join in :whistle::D
The UK government guidance is published Broken Link Removed. The relevant paragraph is:
The use of “A”-Frames in other EU countries
The Vienna Convention is the international law that governs this issue. We cannot comment on the interpretation of this by other European countries and whether they permit or prohibit the use of A-frames in their national traffic. Anyone intending to travel through a European country and using an A-frame to tow a vehicle would be recommended to seek independent advice as to the laws within that country.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Got to be careful with this thought " well it's not illegal in my country so I can do it in yours" they have lots of things that you can do in the rest of Europe that you might not like people doing in th UK. It's not only "A" frames you know and you couldn't pick and choose.

Reactions: GJH

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Any quality synthetic oil 10/40 changed every 5000 miles. Manufacturers recommend switching to synthetic after 10k.
8.1L Vortec, now having done 13k is getting smoother all the time.

Front 90psi, rear duals 95psi.

Why ?

Sorry, typo, that should read 10/30. Opppps. :rolleyes:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Got to be careful with this thought " well it's not illegal in my country so I can do it in yours" they have lots of things that you can do in the rest of Europe that you might not like people doing in th UK. It's not only "A" frames you know and you couldn't pick and choose.

a frame towing not legal here either as has never been tested in court. Only when an issue passed into statute law is it deemed legal or illegal.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
a frame towing not legal here either as has never been tested in court. Only when an issue passed into statute law is it deemed legal or illegal.

Yes I understand what you are saying but equally, some would say, if it hasn't been to court and shown to be illegal, then we will assume that it is legal. I am not saying I agree with that thinking but it would, I think be fair to say that may be the thinking of people that do use an "A" frame.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes I understand what you are saying but equally, some would say, if it hasn't been to court and shown to be illegal, then we will assume that it is legal. I am not saying I agree with that thinking but it would, I think be fair to say that may be the thinking of people that do use an "A" frame.

Fine.. But that cannot be used as justification for use in Europe where the law is clear...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And black LarryHarry. Never do things by half measures. In for a penny, and all that. The VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan told me I should do it like that. Why, is he not correct ? :sneaky:

He does it when ice cream is all sold , :eek:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
So how about organising a bullfighting meet in the UK Jim???

'Cos that's legal in Spain, so then it'll be legal here too if we can get a couple of Spaniards involved surely???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back