Towing with an A-Frame is Illegal in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Towing a car on an A-Frame with your motorhome is illegal in Spain. Of that there is no doubt. Read it on our own Governments web site https://www.gov.uk/living-in-spain

Given all that, I heard an A Frame manufacturer lie to potential customers on a number of occasions at a recent motorhome show. :doh::doh: Paraphrased....

"Don't worry about that, it's like them gassing stories. It's just people sat on sites with nothing better to do and gossiping; making stuff up. It's always happened to friends of friends, its a myth. No one gets stopped in Spain using A-Frames, just like no one is gassed and robbed"

aframe.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I wouldn't take my "A" framed car out of the Country nowadays. I have in the past taken it to France and Spain.

Normally only bother now when we go to the NEC and we are there for nine days or so

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We have a law in Belgium that uf you tow on a motorway you must leave at the first exit.
So A frames where/are ilegal.
But we are starting to see a few Belgium registerd MH with toads.
I spoke to one who goes often to Spain he has never had a problem.
Is it possible its only UK registerd MH's that get stopped?

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
In some parts of Spain the Guardia, are stopping anyone with an A-Frame and in others they seem to have better things to do with their time.
If you decide to go with an A-Frame, it is a Lottery, so do have a plan B just in case.

:cooler:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It seems to me, illegal is just that, illegal so why do it.

I do wonder sometimes just how many motorhome owners report to the insurance company that they have modified the Motorhome by putting a tow bar on, and how many tell them that they are towing a car on an A frame. Also what happens in the event of a serious accident, when the insurance company find out that you broke the law of the country that you had tha accident in.

Of course, I guess most owners do in fact tell the insurance company..........don't they?:)

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Hear in spain you can be asked for the registration and paperwork for all trailers , which must show an identity plate that matches the paper work ,it there law.

max

Reactions: f6c

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In some parts of Spain the Guardia, are stopping anyone with an A-Frame and in others they seem to have better things to do with their time.
If you decide to go with an A-Frame, it is a Lottery, so do have a plan B just in case.

Q. Given the straightforward advice given in Jim's OP, what type of idiot is going to ignore it and need a plan B?
A. The type of idiot that deserves all the fines he gets.
:LOL:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We were stopped and fined in Germany for towing a car on an a frame. (Car not motor functional) 23 (^) StVO fine 25 euros.

Fine.jpg

The Police officer told us "that like Spain it was illegal to tow a car using an a frame in Germany". They told us to cross the border into The Netherlands where it OK and lots of motor-homers use them. So we un-hitched and I drove the car to the border and we then reconnected.

Our Insurers are aware that we have a tow-bar on the motor-home and are aware that we tow a car on an a frame.

The car insurers are also aware that it has been adapted for use on an a frame.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Q. Given the straightforward advice given in Jim's OP, what type of idiot is going to ignore it and need a plan B?
A. The type of idiot that deserves all the fines he gets.
:LOL:

I agree, but plenty still do it, even though it's been illegal in Spain for a few years, though rarely enforced until a couple of years ago.
I can guarantee, that I will see quite a few A-Frames in the coming winter season in Spain.
Plan B can save you having to leave the car where you are stopped, or paying for it to be recovered to storage.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree, but plenty still do it, even though it's been illegal in Spain for a few years, though rarely enforced until a couple of years ago.
I can guarantee, that I will see quite a few A-Frames in the coming winter season in Spain.
Plan B can save you having to leave the car where you are stopped, or paying for it to be recovered to storage.

More fool them then :) Much more sensible to avoid the need for plan B in the first place :D

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I knew there was a reason I always use a trailer, though I do understand many Motorhomes don't have the towing capacity for a trailer.

Like Jim I have heard so much rubbish spouted by dealers about both A frames and driving licenses in order to secure a sale the only thing to say is buyer beware.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
This summer a friend was stopped in Spain with an "A" bar advised it is illegal and given the option to go buy a trailer and continue his journey .... OH and by the way, he and his MH and "toad" are all French registered. He returned to the Charente Maritime with a trailer and his "A" bar "MERDE"

Billycompo

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
Funster No
What about the Vienna convention if it's legal in your home country then it's legal in all the EU countries this is a condition of EU law and I suggest hgv driving licences from Romania and other eastern EU members do not comply with most of EU members or is just a money grab by Spain

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
its not legal here either as has never been tested in court.

our law based on statute..theirs Napoleonic. have explained in the past and accused of sending everyone to sleep, so if you want to "know" read up on it:)

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
What about the Vienna convention if it's legal in your home country then it's legal in all the EU countries this is a condition of EU law and I suggest hgv driving licences from Romania and other eastern EU members do not comply with most of EU members or is just a money grab by Spain
Ohh don't think I would want to argue that with a spanish "gendarme" "copper" sorry don' t know the Spanish version but for myself I speak, in front of numerous gibbering foreign types WITH GUNS I personally tend to say "yes sir" and leave political and international arguments to those better placed than I. My shoulders are wide ...... very wide ...... but only so they can more easily carry my yellow stripe

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hear in spain you can be asked for the registration and paperwork for all trailers , which must show an identity plate that matches the paper work ,it there law.

max
Agreed.....for Spanish nationals only.
Even the Spanish realise we do not have compulsory trailer registration as they do and waive the law in that respect for visitors.
You cannot have a trailer registration document if your countries authorities dont require one.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
1) Spanish law and 2) it rarely pays to argue with a foreign copper with a gun

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Agreed.....for Spanish nationals only.
Even the Spanish realise we do not have compulsory trailer registration as they do and waive the law in that respect for visitors.
You cannot have a trailer registration document if your countries authorities dont require one.

I stand to be corrected but, as I understand it, only trailer over 750Kg has to have a registration document, I guess that most trailers that are behind a MH are less than that, so no problem.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can argue with them many do. they wont shoot you . in fact a few have taken it all the way to the higher courts in spain and won . uk residents with uk vehicles are supposed to be able to pass through any eu country with an a frame . but of course you have to be prepared to go through with it or dont bother. only last winter i was on the ferry to spain with an ex uk transport policeman . he was prepared to take the chance and argue if need be . he wasnt stopped atall as far as i know.
the police work on you being afraid of them .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I stand to be corrected but, as I understand it, only trailer over 750Kg has to have a registration document, I guess that most trailers that are behind a MH are less than that, so no problem.
But many are car transport trailers, well in excess of 750kg, to get round Spains A frame laws.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no any trailer in uk abroad , mine doesnt have registration , the one in the avatarspanish police know we havent got any papers . we are only visiting and can travel around the eu just like we do in uk.
pappa,
they arent illegal here thats the key. if you stand and argue and shout enough they will take you in but later let you go. or you take it further.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
no any trailer in uk abroad , mine doesnt have registration , the one in the avatarspanish police know we havent got any papers . we are only visiting and can travel around the eu just like we do in uk.
pappa,
they arent illegal here thats the key. if you stand and argue and shout enough they will take you in but later let you go. or you take it further.

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear, I didn't mean UK trailers, I meant that all Spanish trailers didn't need to be registered, only the ones over 750kg.

I guess that if you are visitors from any country, they would not take any notice...if it's a trailer.....then it's a trailer.

I will say though, it is a brave man ( or woman) that would fight ANYTHING through the Spanish legal system.........or a fool, as he might not live long enough for a result.

But an "A" frame.............:D

Reactions: Jim
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have a certificate for mine it was supplied when I received trailer earlier this year it weighs in at 500 KG,it's also type approved like everything else has to be now.

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear, I didn't mean UK trailers, I meant that all Spanish trailers didn't need to be registered, only the ones over 750kg.
sorry this is misinformation , any trailer that you pull with a spanish reg must carry eu manufacturer plate and the trailer papers also carries your car reg . alog book of sorts

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
sorry this is misinformation , any trailer that you pull with a spanish reg must carry eu manufacturer plate and the trailer papers also carries your car reg . alog book of sorts

I stand corrected. Having said that, in the ten years I have pulled one, on a Spanish car, the police have never required that info when they have pulled me up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My simplistic understanding of the difference between A-frame use here and on the Continent is that in the UK the toad is regarded as a trailer so (although as yet untested in the Courts) trailer construction and use regulations apply. In most Continental countries the toad is regarded as a car so car towing regulations are applied (and, just as in the UK, these regulations relate to towing broken-down vehicles because there's no other reason to do so). IMO this doesn't point to any lack of logic, mis-application of the law, or awkwardness on the part of Continental counties' authorities - if anything it's the UK authorities that are stretching reality (in our favour) to allow cars to be regarded as trailers.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The difference is the legal system.
On the Continent (simplification) they have a system where, if it isn't written down that it's legal, then it's illegal.
Over here if it's not written down as illegal, then it's not illegal and therefore by definition, legal until a Court decides otherwise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back