Towing with a Ducato 2.5turbo

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sanandreas, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sanandreas

sanandreas

Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering fitting a towbar to my 2.5TDS Ducato but I wonder how well it would perform towing a Renault Clio - weight 945kg?

Can anyone offer an example of their 2.5turbo motorhome and car performance.

Thanks Roy

2. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick

Ratings:
    +10
    Probably not very well but neither did my 2 litre petrol Eldiss. Always got there though and didn't cause too much bother for other road users.

Go for it if it suits YOU!

3. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ratings:
    +1,714
    Hi Roy
    I had a 2.3 Ducato, Towed a Smart Car & Trailer, No probs in general admittedly it faded on long climbs but we have done France last year 8 weks & 8 weeks in Spain this year without to much troubles. Pete:thumb:

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Calle San Rafael 2,, 03730 Xàbia, Alicante, Spain
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    Hi Roy, we use to tow a Fiat Cinquecento on an A Frame, with our old Kontiki 2.5 tdi, the only thing we found is the gap between 4th and 5th is large,::bigsmile: but if you got it rolling and did not try to stick to 45 / 50 it was OK. try and do 45 / 50 its hard work, up and down the gears all the time, but I think that was only 700kg.:RollEyes: But your van may be a bit better than ours was.:Smile: I know when we got our Mercedes 2.7 it never knew it was on there.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,986
    your ducato has a 5500kg train weight, 2000kg towing limit, so at 945kg you're only half way there.
    should tow ok except as Bob said its a long legged jump from 4th to 5th and would be better at 60mph rather than 50mph and the longer hills are a speed killer.

my 2.8 ducato struggles towing the corsa (840kg) on the l-o-n-g motorway inclines but just slot in with the trucks and its not a problem.

the convenience of the toad far outweighs the inconvenience of lack of power.

BTW...the fuel consumption drops by around 1mpg when towing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Ratings:
    +18
    :Smile: We towed our Toad (Kia Picanto) with our Swift Suntor 2.8JTD and hardly noticed it was there. In fact, the only time we saw it was when we went around roundabouts. :ROFLMAO:

It WAS a little slower up the hills, but also FASTER down them.

7. des

des

Ratings:
    +0
    i towed a fiat punto (about 1000kgs) behind a 2.8 peugot/fiat. added a smart box to up the torque. no problem.

des

8. G-RMPS

G-RMPS Funster

Ratings:
    +277
    I’m contemplating towing a mini on a trailer behind a Hymer, Ducato 2.3 auto. The trailer will be at max allowed tow weight of 1650kg for an all up weight of 5500kg. Sounds like hard work for the engine, and maybe driver too. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Keith

9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +5,462
    Hi.
    Once you are rolling,you wont know its on,going uphill.... The gears will sort that out. We have just got a 2018 Ducato Auto 2.3? Always had Renaults before,but i am very impressed,SIL said about the exhaust note,i said i liked it,you know its working.. His answer to that?
    " Well,you would, Hairy,Bottoms and Lorry driver " were mentioned in the reply Sticks and stones will break my bones,but words will never hurt me.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
    Tea Bag

10. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,656
    We have been towing our Panda4x4 on a trailer behind our 2.3 150 bhp manual box Exsis I 698 without problems we are fairly close to our 6000kg train weight as well.
    Sometimes have to drop out of sixth gear on steep inclines but in general tows well.(y)(y)(y)

11. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ratings:
    +5,589
    I had no real problems towing a Fiat Punto with a 2.3 Ducato(y). But must admit the 3L Mercedes make a better job of it!.:D