Towing test no longer required. B+E is now default for all car licenses again. (imminent) (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For those of us who took our car test after 1997 we had to take a test to tow anything over 750KG.

The test has been removed to free up 50,000 places for HGV tests.

No need to apply for it, it will be automatically applied, and will show up next time you renew your license.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
For those of us who took our car test after 1997 we had to take a test to tow anything over 750KG.

The test has been removed to free up 50,000 places for HGV tests.

No need to apply for it, it will be automatically applied, and will show up next time you renew your license.

This was covered in an earlier thread yesterday but your Thread Title is a little premature, IIRC. The UK Gov website indicates that the Tests will cease on 20/9 and the new towing permissions 'will be introduced later in the Autumn' [date not stated]. From what I can remember, the Gov website says that if you 'jump the gun' and tow before the changes are implemented, you face a fine of £1,000, and I presume there will be insurance consequences if you have an accident whilst towing

Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This was covered in an earlier thread yesterday but your Thread Title is a little premature, IIRC. The UK Gov website indicates that the Tests will cease on 20/9 and the new towing permissions 'will be introduced later in the Autumn' [date not stated]. From what I can remember, the Gov website says that if you 'jump the gun' and tow before the changes are implemented, you face a fine of £1,000, and I presume there will be insurance consequences if you have an accident whilst towing

Steve
To be fair Gromett did put the link in his post😊.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Steve
As Tony stated, the link is there with the details. But I do see your point and have edited title..

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I know we couldn’t foresee all this but I paid for my lad to do the test so he could tow the caravan we bought him as a wedding present :doh: :crying::crying:
I was getting ready to take mine before the 1st lockdown. Glad I waited to see what was going to happen. I got lucky.

Still going to take a towing training session though as it is nearly 30 years since I last towed (Tractor and very large trailer)

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
All it did was create a Buisness in trailer towing lessons. It made the roads no safer or better.
If people cannot reverse a trailer the most likely will not be reversing on a highway plus they will soon get fed up and fit a motor mover.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Looking forward to some entertainment on sites.
Absolutely no one reverses on sites since the advent of the motor mover. When I turn up with a car on trailer I'm inundated with offers of help to push it into place. They're stunned when I say thanks but I need the practice.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
A shot in the arm for the Caravan industry, …not that it needs it at the monent

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Absolutely no one reverses on sites since the advent of the motor mover. When I turn up with a car on trailer I'm inundated with offers of help to push it into place. They're stunned when I say thanks but I need the practice.
You would think that wouldn't you. But I rarely see people using them except for very minor movement once on the pitch. about 3 weeks ago I watched someone going backward and forward for 20 minutes (I kid you not) to get their caravan onto a pitch, only to then engage the motor mover to jiggle it a little bit.

Number of caravaners who move the cars tow hitch to the caravan rather than using a motor mover is also surprising.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Wonder if that will realign our "Freelance tarmac layers" back towards caravans rather than having a MH ?

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
In most cases I cannot see it making much difference to the caravan users. The current regulations provide for a modest family car towing an average weight caravan without B+E. The proviso being the combined weights do not exceed 3500kgs and the caravan does not weigh more than the towing vehicle. I would suggest there is still a sizeable number of drivers who believe you need to take a trailer test to tow anything and that is simply not the case, even through the revisions in 1997 and 2013 the ability to tow remained. It is probably the case that many have taken/trained for +E without actually needing to, thus inadvertently reducing the LGV testing capacity. Having said all that, I am all for additional driver training in whatever form it takes, just maybe sympathise with those who may have been misled.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back