Towing an automatic

NRM

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096DF
Exp
I have an A class Rapido, 8096dF, with an automatic gearbox (year 2000, so the new auto) and wondered if I ever got stuck on a grass pitch what is involved in towing it off without damaging the auto gearbox/transmission.
If it was a manual I would have no qualms, but not owned an automatic gearbox before and heard that there are issues that need to be considered.
Thanks in advance.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As you are towing a short distance there is really no issues.

We have had automatic cars for the post 40 years and never had a problem.

Long distances may be different depending on the type of auto it is.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not exactly true pappajohn.
all ive owned and driven regularly from a Audi 100 (3 speed )Bongo (4 speed) and honda (5) have Neutral.
My mistake, it's been a few years since I drove an auto and as I never used neutral I never thought about my answer.

Anyway, towing an auto any distance is not advised as the gearbox oil pump is usually driven from the engine via the input shaft.....no input from engine, no oil flow around gearbox.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Towing all torque converter autos for short recovery purposes is fine eg stuck in mud . especially if engine is running as pappajohn said as they are 99% front pump boxes , many years ago there was a rear pump box , which you could even tow start I think it was a borg warner make but tow starting is not possible with a front pump .
Some 4 wheel drive autos are towable for any distance if they have a transfer box with a neutral position . The auto selector should be taken out of park when doing so , although you have the problem of lack of brake servo , and pas
without engine running .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When my son went to leave after a visit to his brother, 25 miles from home, he couldn't start his Audi TT with DSG transmission due to a flat battery (he had left something switched on). H called the AA and the guy with a van said he mustn't tow it more than a couple of miles so gave him a new battery as he said it was more cost effective than calling out one of their flatbed transporters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Tow it in drive and it will help the towing vehicle too. Every little helps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back