Towing a Smart car with A frame (1 Viewer)

5er

Sep 25, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel rv
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all,
Been a member of this group for a while but this is my first post.
We'll be soon taking delivery of our new to us 2017 Concorde motorhome with which we intend to flat tow a Smart for2, not sure which year yet but it will be a latest version designated 453.
My preferred choice is the automatic version and I know a lot of members might say you can't flat tow an automatic, or just put it on a trailer.
However, I've attached a technical bulletin from Mercedes Benz Smart car America that states you can and the procedure you need to carry out to avoid any issues.
I would like to hear from any members out there who have experience good or bad who might have flat towed a Smart 453 automatic.
TIA.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son has a Chauuson m/h and been towing an older Smart for2 auto cabriolet which is now redundant in his drive with A frame etc as he has just bought a new automatic one but he's been waiting 3 or 4 months for the new A frame kit to arrive from the USA. The dealer/fitter is blaming Covid for the delay and shortage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

5er

Sep 25, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel rv
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the info, could your son not have ordered an a frame from a UK manufacturer/supplier or is there something different with the U.S product?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Thanks for the info, could your son not have ordered an a frame from a UK manufacturer/supplier or is there something different with the U.S product?
I don't know but he's very thorough with his research and has tried to find an alternative supplier/fitter. I don't know the exact details but will ask him shortly when he's finished his day WFH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I personally have only fitted one US A frame a Blue OX and it had a braking system called a "Brake Buddy" or an RV2 kit is similar
braking system is very versatile and can be moved from car to car in minuets has to be set up for every trip and taken out to drive.
The A frame itself is far superior to the UK varieties
I have a Tow -Bar to Tow cars full eclectic braking version, but have had and fitted them all.
you take advice as you choose and get what you pay for
I personally would avoid the Taff product as it has no emergency
hand brake but relies on a secondary thicker cable to prevent runaways, but that IMHO results in any unhitched tow car banging into the rear of the motor home when braking

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I don't know but he's very thorough with his research and has tried to find an alternative supplier/fitter. I don't know the exact details but will ask him shortly when he's finished his day WFH.
To conclude..........
My son has replaced his 02 SmartFor2 with a manual 2019 model due to the instructions for setting up a 2019 automatic for towing seemed too much of a palaver. The A frame kit for it from TowaFrame (sp?), is now 3 months overdue and is now expected 'sometime in August' after a string of promises/excuses for the delay. One U.K. supplier/fitter recently quoted him a fitting estimate of end October but that's too late.
He'll be putting his previous 02 Smart and the A frame kit on the Fun classifieds once he has had the new kit fitted for his replacement Smart. There's nothing wrong with the 02 auto and he has used it a lot but his wife's a bit of a car nut and wants a newer and manual model.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

5er

Sep 25, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel rv
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks to everyone who have already responded to my original question re towing a Smart 453 auto much appreciated very informative.
In addition has anyone first hand experience or know anyone who have had issues with the authorities while towing 4 wheels down in Europe especially Spain.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
hand brake but relies on a secondary thicker cable to prevent runaways, but that IMHO results in any unhitched tow car banging into the rear of the motor home when braking
Perhaps better to have it banging against the back of the motorhome than running free, even if it has got itā€™s brakes on. It might cross the carriageway or mount a pavement causing mayhem, rather than stopping in a straight line. I have never tried to do an emergency stop in a car without holding the steering wheel but I doubt that it would have happy ending.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks to everyone who have already responded to my original question re towing a Smart 453 auto much appreciated very informative.
In addition has anyone first hand experience or know anyone who have had issues with the authorities while towing 4 wheels down in Europe especially Spain.
I use an A-frame in the UK but would not use it in Europe.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
If you do a search on Fun and have a week to spare you can read the many posts on this contentious (or not) subject. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
just don't tow on a an A frame in Spain

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I wouldnā€™t risk it in Spain , traffic law dictates that any vehicle not being driven must be either trailered or on a recovery truck .
Towing be it an A-frame , tow strap/rope or even rigid bar is not tolerated.
Your best bet is take it on a trailer or hire a car at your destination.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
I personally have only fitted one US A frame a Blue OX and it had a braking system called a "Brake Buddy" or an RV2 kit is similar
braking system is very versatile and can be moved from car to car in minuets has to be set up for every trip and taken out to drive.
The A frame itself is far superior to the UK varieties
I have a Tow -Bar to Tow cars full eclectic braking version, but have had and fitted them all.
you take advice as you choose and get what you pay for
Interesting.
Some years ago a company started iprorting 5th Wheel trailers from the USA and they had electric braking, which I am told worked very well. The company was forced to modify them to overrun braking as the electric system is not approved in the UK. Admittedly there is much less to go wrong with a simple purely mechanical overrun system.
I assume that situation has changed now?

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2021
Truro, UK
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
2011-2013 and 2020 until now
Hi all,
We'll be soon taking delivery of our new to us 2017 Concorde motorhome with which we intend to flat tow a Smart for2, not sure which year yet but it will be a latest version designated 453.
My preferred choice is the automatic version and I know a lot of members might say you can't flat tow an automatic, or just put it on a trailer.
However, I've attached a technical bulletin from Mercedes Benz Smart car America that states you can and the procedure you need to carry out to avoid any issues.
I would like to hear from any members out there who have experience good or bad who might have flat towed a Smart 453 automatic.
TIA.
Hi Ser we tow a 452 on an A frame with no problems. If itā€™s properly adapted with front brake etc then apparently just put it into neutral and take the handbrake off - pearls of wisdom from Andrew who drives the motorhome and the smart car I am merely the scribe šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I tow a Kia Rio with Towtal a frame and RVi Brake unit which sits in footwell and operates brake pedal , in event of breakaway brakes immediately apply .
It also has remote monitor for motorhome to watch or adjust while on the move.

Reactions: Geo
Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Hi all,
TIA.
Smart U.K. wouldnā€™t respond when asked about flat towing a Smartfor2 on an A-frame! However, I would check the handbook about towing for recovery. Some Smartā€™s should not be flat towed above 30mph.
otherā€™s are well known for the ā€˜Death Wobbleā€™ on the front wheels, though predominantly, I believe that is the 451 which has no damper on the steering arms.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi Ser we tow a 452 on an A frame with no problems. If itā€™s properly adapted with front brake etc then apparently just put it into neutral and take the handbrake off - pearls of wisdom from Andrew who drives the motorhome and the smart car I am merely the scribe šŸ˜Š
Hi, we tow a Hyudai i10, using the TowAframe UK, system with built in electronic braking. It does what it says on the tin.
We have had an override system on a Honda Jazz but the system was very heavy and did not seem to work as well as the TowAframe system.

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
To conclude..........
My son has replaced his 02 SmartFor2 with a manual 2019 model due to the instructions for setting up a 2019 automatic for towing seemed too much of a palaver. The A frame kit for it from TowaFrame (sp?), is now 3 months overdue and is now expected 'sometime in August' after a string of promises/excuses for the delay. One U.K. supplier/fitter recently quoted him a fitting estimate of end October but that's too late.
He'll be putting his previous 02 Smart and the A frame kit on the Fun classifieds once he has had the new kit fitted for his replacement Smart. There's nothing wrong with the 02 auto and he has used it a lot but his wife's a bit of a car nut and wants a newer and manual model.
I really, really hope your son has not bought a Smart 453 with a 5 speed manual gearbox, with a traditional clutch pedal, probably a smart for4 with the intention of flat towing it. As I mentioned before when you first posted on this subject, the manual smart 4/4 CANNOT BE FLAT TOWED. The 453 smart for 2 can be flat towed if the instructions in this thread are followed but the manual gearbox is dependent on the engine running for its lubrication.
I looked into this in detail a couple of years ago, even contacting MB direct.

And before anybody jumps down my throat, please note the model number. Iā€™m referring only to the 453 model. 2016 on.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I really, really hope your son has not bought a Smart 453 with a 5 speed manual gearbox, with a traditional clutch pedal, probably a smart for4 with the intention of flat towing it.

Thanks.
I just posted what he told me so I assume he knows what he bought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back