Towing 2.5 ton, Silverstone and Transcool! (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Off the ferry and back into Belfast this morning after a good but interesting weekend.

We were over at MG Live, the big annual show and race meeting at Silverstone for MG enthusiasts of all types,
IMG_1439.JPG
to compete in the California Cup team auto test competition where teams from the different centres round the country have a go at trying to win the trophy. Good result for Northern Ireland as we won the team prize and I won the event outright but must admit was slightly apprehensive about driving our Laika with a double decker trailer behind it!

As it turned out it wasn't a problem to the old bus and with all the roadworks on the M6, our 50-55 cruising speed was just fine. Overall got just over 22mpg which considering the trailer at 1000kgs was carrying 2 MG Midgets at 700kgs each, wasn't that much worse than its normal 25 mpg!

Having bought a Transcool at the NEC in February, the run up from Silverstone to Cairnryan yesterday gave us a chance to try it out as we drove. We positioned it between the front seats blowing one vent to each side, and filled it with water and then some ice cubes. Have to say it's no air conditioning but it never claims to be and certainly makes a difference to your 'coolness' provided the air is blowing over you. Next test will be when we are down near Venice and trying some Citronella oil in it to see if it keeps the mosquitos/midgees at bay!

OP
OP
BryanM
Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
It's a great job 4.2 ton for the Laika and a total train weight of 7.2 ton so can tow 3 ton!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I tow a 500kg trailer with 1200kg race car on the back of the Augusta but I load the tow ball by 25kg, so as long as your take-up and braking are moderate and steady I don't think it really loads the system too badly. The Augusta is rated at 4500kg with GTW 6505kgs.

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Wow, that's some 'rig'. As you know mines a Laika too. Good to know they are that strong. IIRC mines rated at 4.7 tons, so that gives a 1200kg trailer max ( according to my French log book ) .

OP
OP
BryanM
Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
If you open the passenger door, the weight limits are on a plate in the footwell. If it's the same twin wheel Iveco chassis as mine, you will be able to tow more than 1200kgs I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Yes twin rear wheel with 2.8TD, so probs the same. Looked at the plate and yes the max is 7000kg, But my log book shows GTW to be 4700kg, confusing.
Not really an issue for me as not intending to tow with it, done that for years with caravans .
What about the engines in these are they Iveco or Fiat?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back