Tow cars, fitting, best type, countries and law surrounding the A-FRAME (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Trailers are not subject to any safety checks or type approval either
Absolutely not true! All new trailers have required type approval since October 2012! According to DfT, a TOAD is a trailer but for some bizarre reason, is the ONLY category of 02 trailer not included.....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Absolutely not true! All new trailers have required type since October 2012! According to DfT, a TOAD is a trailer but for some bizarre reason, is the ONLY category of 02 trailer not included.....
So what about some of the self-built crap on the roads, especially some used by farmers, travellers and the club level motor racing fraternity, plus those used for the "tip-runs"

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
So what about some of the self-built crap on the roads, especially some used by farmers, travellers and the club level motor racing fraternity, plus those used for the "tip-runs"
I’d agree with you there! When I left the industry, the impending type approval of trailers was THE hot topic and it was widely expected that an annual MoT test would have been included. The NTTA were looking forward to collaborating.... I was actually gearing up to be a trailer testing centre, with rolling road and brake testing equipment. I’m pleased I never made the investment!
The fact is that there SHOULD be MoT’s on trailers.... I did roadside checks with Nottinghamshire Police and VOSA (as was) and we managed to remove a number... But hey ho, this would require some action by the Department for Transport..... I don’t think action is their strong point, i can’t even get an acknowledgment to emails and letters.... 😡🤬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The NTTA is a commercial body representing the interests of trailer manufacturers ect. Of course they want mot's for trailers it's more money for its members, if A frames did not represent a loss of earnings for them they wouldn't be interested.
Same as all the trade bodies.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
The NTTA is a commercial body representing the interests of trailer manufacturers ect. Of course they want mot's for trailers it's more money for its members, if A frames did not represent a loss of earnings for them they wouldn't be interested.
Same as all the trade bodies.
The NTTA also represent A-frame manufacturers.... they are the voice of the towing industry as a whole. Manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, suppliers of parts, accessories, services, driver trainers, etc etc... it’s a not-for-profit organisation, not exactly commercial! Currently, it’s also the only resource for training in the industry. It’s the only organisation that has quality standards for all suppliers to end users, including A-frame manufacturers!
You do it a disservice.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You pay to belong to it so it represents your interests not the general public. In my experience all of these trade organisations are the same.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
You pay to belong to it so it represents your interests not the general public. In my experience all of these trade organisations are the same.
That’s what trade bodies do.... they make no money... they charge their members... they provide services .... they even lobby Parliament and, dare I say, the DfT on occasions... why else would they exist? But the NTTA also has a buyer’s guide, free to use by the general public....
Do you have an issue with that?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when pulled you have to prove it was constructed before october 2012.
You can theoretically still construct your own new trailer but it has to be tested & comply with the current regulations & you have to fit a weight/date plate.

I agree fully that there should have been mot's for trailers & caravans on a yearly basis. The Uk did its usual opt out for any type of safety reasons spouting the usual b****cks.
For everyone who can actually construct a decent trailer there are 99 who shouldn't be allowed out even driving .

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
when pulled you have to prove it was constructed before october 2012.
You can theoretically still construct your own new trailer but it has to be tested & comply with the current regulations & you have to fit a weight/date plate.

I agree fully that there should have been mot's for trailers & caravans on a yearly basis. The Uk did its usual opt out for any type of safety reasons spouting the usual b****cks.
For everyone who can actually construct a decent trailer there are 99 who shouldn't be allowed out even driving .
There is a single vehicle approval scheme at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval but as only half the job was done in the 1st place, when the scheme was introduced (half-cock, you might say) there’s not a lot of incentive for folk to toe the line!

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
We've just bought an Abarth with A frame with the intention of using it in the UK then putting it on a trailer when we visit Europe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back