Tow bar recommendations/hydraulic levelling system/ceramic coating. (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
So, I’m gonna have a tow bar fitted (maybe) but after watching the revolting radfords, he had a tow bar fitted and every time he went up a hill, it bottomed out!. Der!..

So my question to anyone out there… is there a tow bar, that can be fitted, that sits high enough so as not to bottom out. For a swift Kontiki 784 GP. (Not a tag axle.) and can anyone recommend a company? Any idea of cost.
On this, I’m on the fence, I can tow a Fiat 500 electric an a trailer. But it’s not the end of the world if I don’t bother! Anyone doing it?

Also watched some good you tube programs on hydraulic lifts, are they any good, have you used one? can you recommend a good reliable system. Any idea of cost?

Finally the high polish ceramic or other paint protection system, has anyone had it done is it worth it, how much did it cost?

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
We have the same van as you, from the same supplier!
Have had E&P leveling legs fitted by SAP in Doncaster, brilliant bits of kit, wouldn't want to be without them.
We also chose the towbar option when we ordered it so have the detachable one, there is a big lump at the back of the van that hangs down, and yes we've grounded it once or twice, but, the back end of the van is still intact.
Thought about ceramic coating, but that about as far as that got, No 1 son had a coating on his wobble box (not ceramic) waiting to see how that fairs, maybe on the next van 🤔
Not been as lucky with the supplying dealer as you have, but we're getting by.

OP
OP
our poppy lll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
We have the same van as you, from the same supplier!
Have had E&P leveling legs fitted by SAP in Doncaster, brilliant bits of kit, wouldn't want to be without them.
We also chose the towbar option when we ordered it so have the detachable one, there is a big lump at the back of the van that hangs down, and yes we've grounded it once or twice, but, the back end of the van is still intact.
Thought about ceramic coating, but that about as far as that got, No 1 son had a coating on his wobble box (not ceramic) waiting to see how that fairs, maybe on the next van 🤔
Not been as lucky with the supplying dealer as you have, but we're getting by.
Have you had problems with Lowdhams?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Levelling legs won't address grounding out issues. They are only of use when parking up on uneven ground.

Air suspension, or semi air, on the rear can be of use. This replaces the bump stops between the suspension leaf and so can hold the rear of the motorhome higher off the ground whilst driving along. Many also find it gives a more comfortable and steady ride, especially in crosswinds or passing other high sided vehicles. It raised the clearance over my wheel arches by some 50mm. With a coachbuilt motorhome with longer overhang at the rear that can be significant for a towbar where parts of the bracket hang down. If the air suspension has an compressor system on board you can increase pressure (within limits) to temporarily raise a bit more to gain further clearance onto ferries and stuff, releasing the added pressure once driving along again. Some find they can use the aire suspension as a form of minor levelling when parking up.

The towbar ball should have a standard height range, when driving along, normally between 350-420mm. Outside this the nose weight from the towed trailer / caravan would be all wrong and the towed thing potentially too unstable. This does mean that many bracket designs will have limited clearance underneath, especially where there is a lengthy overhang on the vehicle.

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
I would rather ground out a steel towbar bracket rather than plastic/glass bumpers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back