LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have some issues I have been trying to fix with no success. Can you please read and see if I have missed something or you can explain.

I take any job on and didn't think this was that tricky, but maybe overthinking it.

So
A few weeks ago prior to holiday when I had the trailer I asked a guy to come and fix my tow bar electrics as they never worked. They hadn't for some time and TBH as I was carrying the scooter on a rack all my lights could be clearly seen so I never worried about it.

However, now using a trailer i needed them fixed so called an auto electrician out. He came out and had a look and told me my relay was kaput. He was right it had been in what looked like water so he fitted a new one we tested all the lights and all seemed fine. Of he toddled with his £90 and all appeared well untill later that night. I went and got fuel and when I came back I could hear a squeeling sound from under the van. I looked under the van and it was coming from the relay he had fitted. I rang him and he said he would be back the next day but never did and I was off on holiday. I therefore unattached the trailer, used my scooter rack and disconnected the relay.

When I was on my travels I bumper in to @Gromett who kindly agreed to have a quick look. We noted the relay was blackened and didn't go any further and I thought I would get a new relay when I returned.

I have now done that but when connected up it makes the same squealing sound as before? Even if i have no wires attached on the vechile side other than the power and the earth.

I traced the fitting back to the cab battery and noted the wiring in to it. There is a red power cable that attaches from the battery and even if I run with a new cable from there and earth the relay it still squeals.

I have replaced the wiring for the trailer plug which is all new, so why does it keep squealing? am I missing something ? other than the wiring and the relay is there anything else that could be faulty?

TIA

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it is a straightforward 7pin & without canbus then the wiring should be
1= yellow=left indicator
2=blue=fog light
3=white=earth
4=green=right indicator
5=brown=right side light
6=red=brake lights
7=black=left side light

Can't see why there would be a relay ?

Sorry should have added
1=L
2=54G
3=31
4=R
5=58R
6=54
7=58L
numbers on plug

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The relay might be squealing due to a bad earth on the relay or a backfeed . so it is chattering

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
What’s a relay?

0C9F7FD6-C7EE-43F0-B2D6-B8FD1E3EE4FF.png

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The relay might be squealing due to a bad earth on the relay or a backfeed . so it is chattering
I suspect that's correct. I had a problem with a towbar relay that was squealing. At the same time my neighbour pointed out that the high level brake light was coming on and off by itself. It was traced to a wet union that was causing the +12v feed to short across to the brake light circuit.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You never mention the base vehicle and how old it is, I fitted the electrics to my Sprinter and that has a canbus system with a controller, I bought it direct from the suppliers and wired it in using all the plugs supplied. It is inside the van as water is the killer, same with my car. The car had a problem and it turned out the live feed down to the boot has a fuse which had blown and that stopped everything working properly. The fuse is the live feed for the whole rear light sets and towbar to take car of the loads which are a lot higher than the little wiring from the makers can handle. LED bulbs on the towbar will upset a non canbus set up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Come on Paul...
7 way
Or
13 way

Canbus or old school lighting.

Can-bus needs a special 7 or 13 way by-pass relay...nowt like a 30a automotive relay.
It MUST incorporate an indicator warning buzzer if there is no other means of seeing the indicators working (additional dash warning light etc) which may be what you can hear if there's a wiring fault to an indicator.

Old school has No relay and is wired direct to lights wiring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back