Too long enough? (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
Last December we traded our Adria 670 in and bought a Swift 774. We were won over by the twin lounge set up, thinking ideal for longer trips. The Adria was 3.5t and 6.5mtr (plus the bike rack) the 774 is 4.5t and 8.2 mtr.

The plan is to winter in the sun. What we didn’t realise was that the UK doesn’t want us any more! I had no idea that so many sites won’t/can’t take an 8.2mtr Moho, any ideas why?

I’m trying to recall any pitch that we’ve been on that couldn’t accommodate another 2 feet? The bike rack on our 670 took it to close on 8mtr.

We’re trying to plan a week in North Wales in a few weeks and it’s proving difficult. We’re having to rely on some wild camping to make it work, same in Scotland this August.

Are the UK site operators determined to pack us all off to Europe?

Thoughts and ideas very welcome!

Solution
I feel your pain. We’re just shy of 9m and I usually knock off 0.5m for some sites.

However, what I find laughable is both clubs will feature a Morelo or Concorde Liner in their mags on a look what you could have - but yet either can probably not accommodate one on most of their sites.
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Never had a problem and we are also 8.2m

Is it because you are a tag axle ? Can’t think of anything else

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Not stayed on many uk sites but those we have never stopped us at 8.4m tag axle. Probably put 8m on the booking form if requested though.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Some of it may be manoeuvrability into or through the site? I think some sites may be amenable if you ring.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
We stayed on a site in Whitstable a couple of weeks ago, which has an 8m limit. A guy with a Swift Kontiki (tag axle) turned up and told them it was under 8m, despite them questioning it. Ended up with him getting stuck on his pitch, which resulted in some damage to his motorhome, including breaking his handbrake. I was speaking with the owner afterwards and he said the length is an issue for manoeuvring one of the turns on the way out, and the weight is a problem on the grass pitches (they have no hard standing).

I noticed the same thing when I was looking to buy our first motorhome recently, and was looking at the Kontiki or Bailey 81-6, but so many sites seemed to have the 8m limit, and seemed quite strict on it when we called them to enquire. We went with the 79-4 as it is just under the 8m and have had no problems booking anywhere.

Good luck with booking somewhere suitable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
My motorhome is 8.3 mtrs long and 6 tonnes, i've never been turned away from a site but I always check on search for sites first to see if it's suitable, and it's worth reading the reviews as they normally have an indication of the size of their van ie >8m etc. I've never been stuck on grass but I was asked to take a hardstanding once when the warden's decided the grass was too soft on that occasion.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Havnt read all replys but I'm 8.2 without scooter rack. If I ring to ask or book I say few feet under 8 metres.
Never been questioned but if I was I would say I said few feet over.
No point being honest until the governments are. 🤣

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
9.5 Metres.
Not been outright refused by a site yet.
We always ring after checking or booking to make sure they are okay with our size.
More common failure was access road rather than sites themselves.... "If you can get on site you are welcome to stay...."

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Last December we traded our Adria 670 in and bought a Swift 774. We were won over by the twin lounge set up, thinking ideal for longer trips. The Adria was 3.5t and 6.5mtr (plus the bike rack) the 774 is 4.5t and 8.2 mtr.

The plan is to winter in the sun. What we didn’t realise was that the UK doesn’t want us any more! I had no idea that so many sites won’t/can’t take an 8.2mtr Moho, any ideas why?

I’m trying to recall any pitch that we’ve been on that couldn’t accommodate another 2 feet? The bike rack on our 670 took it to close on 8mtr.

We’re trying to plan a week in North Wales in a few weeks and it’s proving difficult. We’re having to rely on some wild camping to make it work, same in Scotland this August.

Try Foxtails in Chirk, we hold events there and they have RV sized pitches. Great pub over the road, easy walk into Chirk and a great canal towpath to exercise a dog or two if you have them.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Airstream 345
Exp
new
We are 34.5 feet. I just call the site and ask. No problem so far :)

Upvote 0

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

Always tell them under 8 metres 👍

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
Our van is 8.95m. Sometimes it's not possible to book in the UK for a van 8m+ over the internet. However, we've never been refused when we phone up and, being 7ton, we usually insist on hardstanding. In mainland Europe we've had an occasional issue in city centre aires but not generally. We always reverse into a pitch leaving room for the hydraulic jacks on the pitch and the overhang sits over the grass. The turning circle on this Iveco Daily chassis is actually smaller than the Ducato chassis on our previous 8m van.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
3yrs
Because of this 'size' issue we've actually just swopped the 8m Hobby 750 for a 6m Autosleeper. Problem with the Hobby wasn't so much the sites but the access from the narrow access road's thru the gate onto the site! The out of the way very quiet CL's were the worst.
As an aside the Autosleeper actually has more useable living space than the Hobby!
Win win!

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I feel your pain. We’re just shy of 9m and I usually knock off 0.5m for some sites.

However, what I find laughable is both clubs will feature a Morelo or Concorde Liner in their mags on a look what you could have - but yet either can probably not accommodate one on most of their sites.

Upvote 0
Solution

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back