TomTom Satnav - Totally frozen (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
My TomTom has "frozen" and - apart from the (very) occasional appearance of the Menu page, which does not in any case accept any of the selections - just displays the default Introductory photograph of a motorhome driving on some lovely road through some lovely scenery.
This happened before on our last outing a few weeks ago and downloading the latest available update seemed to cure the problem. The problem has re-appeared which I attribute to perhaps the battery having run down in-between usage. This had never occurred before in its previous 4 years since purchase, and neither did it whilst in use on this same outing.
I am no computer whizzkid but it seems to me that its internal "memory" (or is it cache?) has been wiped out and the gizmo no longer has the guts to keep the memory required that even begins to read the TomTom satellite.

Has this occurred to anyone else and has the issue been resolved?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Mine, which must be about the same age, has done this twice. The only way I resolved this was to reset the TomTom. This is done in settings. All saved data is lost but it is functional again. I also thought that it happened because I left the battery flat. I must get mine out of the cupboard and charge it!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I am assuming you have a Tomtom Go Live 1005 as there have been a number of reports of this happening recently. See the Tomtom Forum.

It could well be as a result of the unit not having enough spare internal memory to work properly after the recent map update. Keep trying to get it started and when you do suggest the following.

1 Delete the map from the unit by replacing it with a Map Zone covering your requirements as this is a smaller file and frees up space.

2 Try a factory Reset as suggested by @Steve Travelvan

3 Delete and unnecessary voices also any POI files you have loaded that you may no long require.

I am not sure what programme you use to update your unit but if it is Tomtom Home when I had to download Mapzones you could download all available Zones to the computer and then swop them about on your unit if you needed to without having to have the computer connected to the internet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Also happened to mine abt 10 days before we were due to leave for Spain on 1st Feb! Managed to get it going again a few days later, but due to this, age of unit and the small storage and with maps getting bigger lost confidence with it.
So phoned Tom Tom to complain, as I had a running live services subscription plus had purchased a map for Morocco a few years back and asked them about a discount on a replacement. This was referred but a couple of days later they came back and gave me a voucher for 47.5% discount on a new one! Happy days.
Now the proud owner of a new Go camper for £199.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have a tomtom that I got from new 3 yrs ago,,,

Was brilliant all over Spain France uk etc till six moths ago,,, now whenever I turn it on, after about two mins it reverts to home screen, cuts off altogether and when reprogramming after one min does exactly the same again,, so frustrating I’ve started using my phone instead!

I wonder if there programmed to fail so you have to buy a new one! Lol.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Happened to mine and someone told me to look for a tiny pin hole in the plastic .. found it. Then stick a pin in it and hold for a while. It worked ..

Can't remember who told me... @Carol was it your Eddie?

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Unfortunately my model does not have any reset pinholes. The Tomtom website is a mass of chase-your-tail unhelpfulness.
I too am beginning to think that like many other things, they are designed to give up the ghost to force you to buy another.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Mine, which must be about the same age, has done this twice. The only way I resolved this was to reset the TomTom. This is done in settings. All saved data is lost but it is functional again. I also thought that it happened because I left the battery flat. I must get mine out of the cupboard and charge it!

My Menu page, when it does appear does not allow me to make any of the selections. Nothing for Settings, Change Route etc etc.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Happened to mine and someone told me to look for a tiny pin hole in the plastic .. found it. Then stick a pin in it and hold for a while. It worked ..

Can't remember who told me... @Carol was it your Eddie?
Yes a paper clip it works

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I now have a Garmin but when my previous TomTom froze, after a lot of searching I did get onto a TomTom helpline which was actually rather good. I had to return my TomTom and they sent me a new one by return of post.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, they are very helpful on the phone - I fell out with them when they stopped supporting my model and started hassling me to buy a new one. My old one still works and I have Tom Baker's voice on it, but they wouldn't arrange for me to have him on the new one, so I bought an Aguri with which I initially had a lot of problems but finally have a replacement one which seems to be working OK. We'll know better after we go to Slovenia!!

Moda

Free Member
Jun 21, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since1989
Has any one found a solution to this problem please. Yesterday ours allowed me to go as far as an address then froze. I have tried resetting with the top button but this has not worked. It does its drumroll, gets as far as the opening page then switches off, comes back on again and switches off and so on. Today I tried to update it but as it keeps turning off the computer doesn't recognise it. Just wondering whether it's anything to do with the update before Christmas. Any help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Exactly the same issue as ours.
I've given up and have had to buy a new one.
Obviously part of TomTom's Master Plan to make me buy an updated one.
(Went for the GoCamper version.)

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for your reply

It might turn out to be the xmas update. If you don't need the satnav immediately, see if anything comes out on that score. You might save yourself some money.
I on the other hand need a satnav now so spent the money...and will be quite cheesed off if it does turn out to be the update and sorted.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Has any one found a solution to this problem please. Yesterday ours allowed me to go as far as an address then froze. I have tried resetting with the top button but this has not worked. It does its drumroll, gets as far as the opening page then switches off, comes back on again and switches off and so on. Today I tried to update it but as it keeps turning off the computer doesn't recognise it. Just wondering whether it's anything to do with the update before Christmas. Any help?

I have read somewhere that someone with a 1005 says if you keep trying to get it to boot up if it does don't try to do anything with it like entering an address, immediately try to connect it to a PC. They say that if you are successful doing that then delete the Map and load a Zone map which is smaller.

I believe you could lose the will to live as you keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. They have managed to resurrect a handful I believe.

Doug

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I have tried this fix from the TomTom web site several times following the procedure exactly. The TomTom connects to MyDrive Connect but then loses the connection. https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898
Mine is a TomTom GO 4CR52. It took me some time to perfect the speed of three presses of the on/off button before it connected. Waiting for the black and white print page to load fully before carrying out the three presses seemed to help. I am investigating sat nav apps at the moment as we are shortly off on our next European trip as I will not be buying another TomTom. My very old TomTom GO7201 is working and I will take that as a second Sat Nav. It hasn't been supported for sometime and the maps will be a bit out of date! Most of the Sat Nav apps tested would take us down some very narrow local lanes, the sort where you have to get into the hedge with your bike to let any car you meet pass when out on your bike.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Decided not to bother updating mine anymore... Causes more problems than it's worth.

Not many new roads are built and what there are have ROAD SIGNS like we used to use.
Altered junctions, changed speed limits and traffic direction/flow are also signposted.

It seems the updates just give TomTom IT employees something to do with their time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Exactly the same issue as ours.
I've given up and have had to buy a new one.
Obviously part of TomTom's Master Plan to make me buy an updated one.
(Went for the GoCamper version.)
Got it in one but for one mistake..... You bought ANOTHER TomTom.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If anyone gives up on their tomtom, before you bin it, could I have it please. I will open it up and see if I can reset it by clearing the memory

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If anyone gives up on their tomtom, before you bin it, could I have it please. I will open it up and see if I can reset it by clearing the memory

Will keep it in mind. (A friend back in Blighty says he'll also have a look.)

Moda

Free Member
Jun 21, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since1989
I eventually got it working again. I phoned TomTom and they knew there was a problem and advised that I wait a few days whilst the problem was worked on. I tried the three presses of the on, off switch after getting the black and white page but that didn't work. Eventually it stayed on long enough to connect to the computer. It updated but wasn't working correctly until I did a factory reset. Now seems to be working but not sure that I trust it!!
Thank you for everyone who tried to help.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Unfortunately my model does not have any reset pinholes. The Tomtom website is a mass of chase-your-tail unhelpfulness.
I too am beginning to think that like many other things, they are designed to give up the ghost to force you to buy another.

My Garmin doesn't have a pinhole either, However, I found that under the little 'nameplate' on the back, there was a nipple, (oo 'er Missus). I put my thumbnail on the nipple and squeezed, pushed. The Garmin reset itself. That was four years ago and it still works.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

I believe that too,,
Bang on three years since I bought mine it went tits up !! No fix! Clever ain’t they!

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I gave up trying to start mine after many attempts and contacting TomTom who offered useless advice. Travelling now and using the CoPilot app on a Samsung tablet as you can enter the vehicles dimensions . Very pleased so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back