To wave or not? The results are in.... (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
It’s a perennial question - should you wave to other MoHoers or not?

Well, we’ve passed 49 mohos in 7 days in the Highlands and Islands - around half of them in the last 24 hours between Skye, Glen Shiel and through the Great Glen. The rest of the time was very quiet.

We waved at all of them (well, I did; the co-pilot chose not to participate in this ground-breaking statistical study). Waving was confined to single carriage way roads - this may have been a methodological a flaw in the study as we didn’t encounter any dual-carriageways all week...

And... 38 of the 49 waved back. That’s a whopping 77.6%.

Of observational interest, but not statistically significant:

• Female co-pilots are the most like to engage in a maniacal jazz-hands wave along with a big smile
  • Non-wavers are predominantly in hired vans.
  • 100% of Belgian vans wave (2 out of 2)
  • 1 PVC driver was confused or over-enthusiastic and waved first to us in our MoHo. We waved back and included him gratefully in the study.
So there you have it; it’s official - just 22.4% of MoHoers are miserable gits. 😂😎

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Of course, in the interests of science, these results need verifying with other studies. We would be particularly interested to know if our results are replicated in other countries.

Get waving folks, and let us know!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve given up waving in France now that we have a PVC. Got a lot more waves when we had an A class.

Just the other day, the co-pilot said “you got a wave just then”. “Oh, did I?” I replied, “I was too busy trying to work out what the artic turning in the middle of the road was intending to do”.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
One of the grandkids sat up front with granddad, now she all legal to do so..poor granny , got back seat, but was comfy..Iggle, that's her Nick name was soooo excited to wave at any MH, sadly :oops: only a few returned her over keen waves ...so Iggle gave up and said grandad I will just wave at everyone..cars gave a great response.!!,

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course, in the interests of science, these results need verifying with other studies. We would be particularly interested to know if our results are replicated in other countries.

Get waving folks, and let us know!
Agreed and of course an Independent peer study is needed and that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of waving is required

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I love it when other folks don't wave.:unsure:

It makes it so easy to not wave back :LOL:
Get one of these then
61pCcKlSaUL._AC_UL320_.jpg

£8.99 AMAZON, other shapes are available.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
In France some were waving across 3 lane motorways , we often play a game like little kids
, we guess who is going to wave back before we Even wave , becomes a competition
often surprising who does or doesn’t wave back 🙂

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
In France some were waving across 3 lane motorways , we often play a game like little kids
, we guess who is going to wave back before we Even wave , becomes a competition
often surprising who does or doesn’t wave back 🙂

We need data!

A parallel study on spontaneous wavers would advance the science no end... perhaps we’ll get an IgNobel prize from the Annals of Improbable Research for our efforts? <Broken link removed>

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
I've noticed that waves, like accents have regional variations. I thought I'd just perfected the Mull wave and was most disappointed the next year when it seemed to have gone out of fashion.

Nov 20, 2016
wirral
Funster No
MH
talbot autoquest 320
Exp
first year
What about the ones who would have waved back but were in a little world of their own and shouted sorry when they realised a second too late they had missed a wave?

allsong

Free Member
Feb 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
since 2015
Did you find a difference between responses from PVC, Coach built and A class? I've found, but not proved statistically, the folk seem to wave only to others with the same type of Moho. Will do a statistical study in the next two weeks while we're away in ours.

allsong

Free Member
Feb 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
since 2015
What about the ones who would have waved back but were in a little world of their own and shouted sorry when they realised a second too late they had missed a wave?
I can be a bit like that. Concentrating on the driving.🤔

allsong

Free Member
Feb 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
since 2015
Are you a proactive waver, wave first, or reactive waver, see if the other van waves first then wave back. 🤔

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
It’s
Did you find a difference between responses from PVC, Coach built and A class? I've found, but not proved statistically, the folk seem to wave only to others with the same type of Moho. Will do a statistical study in the next two weeks while we're away in ours.

It’s a microcosm of the British class system - we only wave at coach built!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
At the risk of being ‘ cancelled’ for being manufacturist I have noticed people in VW Campervans don’t wave back .....( and as an aside why are horse boxes ALWAYS driven by women?}
We've noticed that with V Ws and also wondered the same about horse boxes. The only answers we've come up with are too sexist for this forum (or most others).

mirfield

Free Member
Oct 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
At the risk of being ‘ cancelled’ for being manufacturist I have noticed people in VW Campervans don’t wave back
Yeah. They’re far too cool for the likes of us.

Anyone else feel sad when they’re back in the car and see a bunch of MH coming towards them?

Also, what’s the etiquette when overtaking?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back