Tips on maintenance for pre-winter. (1 Viewer)

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Hi all,
Can anyone point me to a SPECIFIC list of where to grease/oil/clean/cover on my MH please?
I’ve searched and found great lists on here for general things for winterisation but I’m looking for a specific mechanical list.
My MH has just been serviced, MOT’d and Hab Certificated but what else needs done?
I’m thinking things like greasing door hinges, silicone or olive oil on door, window and rooflight seals and anything else which makes over-wintering easier on it.
Anything else? Maybe under the bonnet or under the MH itself?
All help gratefully received.
T.I.A.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You will do well to get an answer as we only have a few members who have a crystal ball and will know the type, make and age of your motorhome, and the recommended maintenance regime that you probably have in your possession anyway. However, hang on, we do have some great experts on Fun and I'm sure one will be along shortly to answer your queries.

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
You will do well to get an answer as we only have a few members who have a crystal ball and will know the type, make and age of your motorhome, and the recommended maintenance regime that you probably have in your possession anyway. However, hang on, we do have some great experts on Fun and I'm sure one will be along shortly to answer your queries.
Thanks but I didn’t think it mattered what the van was, it was just generic stuff I was looking for. I presumed we all have doors, windows, wheels, an engine bay and an underside therefore would have pretty much the same needs.
All water associated systems have been drained down, doors and cupboards open for ventilation, bed up, cushions off etc. It’s the mechanical things I’m looking for.

However, it’s a 2008 Bessacarr E560 on 27,414 miles and as previously stated has just been serviced, MOT’d and Hab certificated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks but I didn’t think it mattered what the van was, it was just generic stuff I was looking for. I presumed we all have doors, windows, wheels, an engine bay and an underside therefore would have pretty much the same needs.
All water associated systems have been drained down, doors and cupboards open for ventilation, bed up, cushions off etc. It’s the mechanical things I’m looking for.

However, it’s a 2008 Bessacarr E560 on 27,414 miles and as previously stated has just been serviced, MOT’d and Hab certificated.
Understood! You did request 'a SPECIFIC list of where to grease/oil/clean/cover on my MH please?' and I assumed you were looking for something specific to your motorhome ? Anyway, You have most of it covered anyway. If it's been serviced all you need to do is chock it in position with the handbrake off and plug it into the mains (if you can) to keep your batteries topped up. Every 4 weeks take it for a 20 Mile run. I would spray a little silicon into your locks and make sure your windscreen wash has enough additive in to ensure it does not freeze over. Lift your windscreen wipers up a little so that the blade is not in contact with the glass while stationary.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Try to fill up on fuel too, so less chance of condensation collecting in the tank.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Perhaps your van is stored indoors in the warm, mine however does not sport such luxury and so the minutia of detailed lubrication, cleaning and other titivation will wait until a little warmer. The lubricants should then be able to flow better as will the blood in my hands.
As to the general maintenance, this will be itemised in most motorhome handbooks. Personally I lubricate doors, when I hear them squeak, polish taps, when they look dull and vacuum through on a regular basis to remove grit etc. We changed the linen for the millennium.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When you take it for a run turn on the cab aircon for 20 minutes. This keeps the seals in order, I had to fit a new compressor last year. My van is the same as yours though we have done 60k from new.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had a strange incident a couple of months ago when I did this.
Tank was already pretty full but I had a can with diesel in that I wanted to empty so I brimmed the tank with it and thought nothing more of it.
However, the next day was quite warm, whereas it was cool the previous evening when I put the diesel in.
When I returned around tea time there was diesel dripping off the bodywork under the filler.
I assumed the diesel had expanded in the warmer weather and overflowed through the filler, losing a small amount, less than a litre I thought. I got a shock when I turned the ignition on, I estimate approximately two gallons had gone missing !
I can only think a siphon action must have started somehow. I now only fill it to the first click on the pump, no further problems.
A strange one I know, but just be aware if you fill to the brim

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not familiar with your MH but if it's on an Alko chassis make sure it is greased according to the manufacturer's recommendations ... I think you have to 'squeeze' it in it somewhere! :xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back