Tips for Buying a Motorhome on a Budget (1 Viewer)

Euan

Free Member
Mar 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Gretna2000
Hi myself and my wife are looking at buying a MH this spring/summer, got a budget around 15k just looking for advice as to wheres best to look for a private sale, I've tried FBook and Ebay and came across a few which I checked out on Gov MOT and was put off by structure corrosion etc any advice would be gracefully appreciated

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I bought mine from an eBay add . Went to see it paid deposit collected it the following week.

However I checked out the vendor and their business to know they were genuine

The price was right in line with vehicle and type .

Remember they say keep 10% for unforseen repairs . It was £500 for tyres in the first year then turbo went and belts needed replacing usual wear and tear then added solar and refillable gas bottles
In five years I've spent the 10% but was lucky .
Most of the problems have be escalated by me trying to repair it and making it worse.

The vehicle is in good condition for its age . Shed been well looked after. But I felt it was more important that the base vehicle was sound before the pretty bits inside.

It's a pvc so water egress was not that much of a concern

If you pay your subs it will give you access to the buyers guide best £20 you spend

We want pics once you buy one please :giggle:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and welcome to the Fun.
This question has been asked many times but there are as many answers, and it's not an easy one. Most important is how do you plan to use it.
I'll start by being brutally honest, you're not going to get anything like a late model and that said, if your budget is fixed, plan on keeping something in reserve for the inevitable problems.
My best advice is join as a full member, the best £20 you'll spend IMO, then go to the Resources section and download a copy of Jim's book about buying a motorhome. At least then you'll have a better idea of how to proceed. You'll also have access to the huge pool of expertise and experience of the MHF community.
There are often m/hs on sale here in the Classifieds section and you're less likely to get scammed - you'll have already seen some of the rubbish out there.
Best of luck with your search and please come back and ask, you have 4 more message postings before you need to join up.
PS if you're a real cheapskate you can buy the book without joining.......! 😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wave Reaction GIF by Victoria's Secret PINK

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi myself and my wife are looking at buying a MH this spring/summer, got a budget around 15k just looking for advice as to wheres best to look for a private sale, I've tried FBook and Ebay and came across a few which I checked out on Gov MOT and was put off by structure corrosion etc any advice would be gracefully appreciated
With regards to private sale, I assume you're comfortable with there being no warranty etc (at that price), if that's the case then a member (Gazgandalf) recently bought an older good 'un for around that price from Uber Leisure in Essex. He even arranged for another Funster to deliver it for him! They are on eBay and Auto trader. They state they only sell to the trade, which in fact means they don't offer any warranty or guarantee, everything is sold as seen, so you MUST do your own checks if considering buying from them, damp, thorough inspection underneath etc test all appliances, electrics and gas. They don't mind you going over it thoroughly, they just give you the keys and let you play! If you want a test drive after checking it out they can arrange it, but it might take a while to move other stock. Their stock changes regularly as they primarily act in behalf of larger motorhome dealers, taking their part exchanges that may be too old for them or don't fit their shiny standards. They don't always advertise everything they have, so it's worth a phone call. I have had two motorhomes from them previously (even traded one in for the other). So I have been happy with their process, BUT it isn't for everyone!! I repeat, you MUST do your own checks, as their are no warranties, guarantees etc. which you must do anyway whether buying private if from a dealer.

I don't have any commercial or personal interest vested in Uber Leisure, I am just a customer who has been happy with what I bought!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back