timing belt change (1 Viewer)

rowleyman

Free Member
Jan 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi I am looking to change the timing belt myself on my 2014 Autotrail Ducato 2.3 130bhp. Does anybody know where to buy the tool that holds the crank and cam in position during the operation please?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I heard about this DIY work-around. I don't know how feasible in practice this might be with a 2014 Ducato and haven't tried it myself. No warranty is given! Absolutely none!

Apparently you cut the existing timing belt in half, lengthwise around its circumference. Then take the front half of the old belt off. The remaining half holds all the pulleys etc in their exact place. Fit the new timing belt, then cut across the old belt and remove it. Push the new timing belt fully into place.

w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
Plenty of timing belt tools on ebay.
Geoff

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Unless you are a mechanic I wouldn't bother .it's only a couple of hundred quid to have done at a garage..and if the belt brakes or slips and wrecks your head then it's down to them.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Simple job if you are handy with spanners. Not done your engine but most often an allen key will suffice in place of the official tool. As stated above they are on ebay. You may as well do the water pump and tensioner pulley at the same time, if you decide not the half an old belt on trick works, won't need any special tools for that just slacken the tensioner a little. Best advice is to check and recheck timing marks, turn engine by crankshaft nut until timing marks line up again, then check and recheck again. You Tube has a video.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Be careful the water pump and pulley bolts on mine were on FT
If you strip the belt off and cannot un fasten the bolts you will be in a world of hurt
Maybe best to get an indie like Dave Newell to do it

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
When i had my belt done last year,one of the bolts that held the A/C compressor on was seized solid(had to be cut off)
The job ended up taking my mechanic 4 hours, even on a ramp.
Rowleyman, have you changed a timing belt before ??
Personally, i'd leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back