Ticks. Where are they coming from? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My Cocker spaniel does like to bring friends home with him but I really hate ticks. I found two on him this morning. Luckily I come prepared with tick tweezers.

We are staying at the wonderful Doubletrees Farm in Par, Cornwall which has several fields to walk the dog round.

They haven’t had livestock on the farm for many years apparently but still the little blighters appear each time we come here.

Buzz does have a penchant for sticking his nose down rabbit holes so is that the likely source?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It’s most likely the rabbits are a source of continuity for the ticks. Along with other parasites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We were in an area of France recently and our dog got 3 ticks one day and 2 the next but we’ve moved to some different areas and had none.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We were in an area of France recently and our dog got 3 ticks one day and 2 the next but we’ve moved to some different areas and had none.
They are the first that Buzz has had since we left home a week ago. I remember the same happened here last year but nowhere else in 6 weeks of touring Cornwall 🤷‍♀️ Weird!

Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 784
Up here in the Highlands we are getting a lot of ticks. Our dog is not usually a magnet for them but this year he has had at least or 5 each walk. He is given a Bravecto chew which lasts 12 weeks and kills on bite. Gotta keep checking.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Any livestock, any wildlife or they just lay dormant (they get through winters). It‘s high season now so they are really active and multiplying….

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Deer are the main source of ticks🦌

In a past life I was dealing with wild deer on an almost daily basis. Some of the reds were running alive with them and could be in quite poor condition because of the tick burden.

I never had a problem with locating and removing the little beggars but deer keds are a different kettle of fish! Despite intense showering and washing my hair scrupulously, it wasn’t unknown for one to revive and scuttle down my forehead at the most inopportune moment - usually when out at dinner with friends!

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008

Deer are the main source of ticks🦌
My poor dog got a tick in North London. -pics below.

On a recent visit to Liverpool my dog apparently left some behind and they had babies they liked Daddy😡😡 he had to fumigated his bedroom.
Only been to the local park -foxes only?
He was ticked & flead the week before and had none on him🥶🥶

IMG_2295.png

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In a past life I was dealing with wild deer on an almost daily basis. Some of the reds were running alive with them and could be in quite poor condition because of the tick burden.

I never had a problem with locating and removing the little beggars but deer keds are a different kettle of fish! Despite intense showering and washing my hair scrupulously, it wasn’t unknown for one to revive and scuttle down my forehead at the most inopportune moment - usually when out at dinner with friends!

Now that is class😂

We‘ve become quite familiar with them here as they‘re a daily occurrence for 9 months of the year. Currently we remove +50 a day off the spaniel, has been over a 100 day at times, like you we just got used to it.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Now that is class😂

We‘ve become quite familiar with them here as they‘re a daily occurrence for 9 months of the year. Currently we remove +50 a day off the spaniel, has been over a 100 day at times, like you we just got used to it.

Yeah, the keds are attractive little beggars aren’t they!

View attachment IMG_1301.webp

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Must be lucky with my 2 Jacks as been all over Europe numerous times and they have not had any… 16 years old now and they have had 1 each over that time and they go for walks every day, use to have Deer in the garden of our previous house also…they are treated monthly with Nexguard…😁😁

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
²
Must be lucky with my 2 Jacks as been all over Europe numerous times and they have not had any… 16 years old now and they have had 1 each over that time and they go for walks every day, use to have Deer in the garden of our previous house also…they are treated monthly with Nexguard…😁😁
Hope plenty of posters follow your example and make life more comfortable for their dogs.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I read last week that one Tick an produce 2000 eggs at a time so no wonder they are spreading, l don’t recall them being such a problem not so many years ago.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
We are in Herault and it can be a bit of a problem especially this time of year, the cats come in with them, but we do have sheep in the fields next to us.

One key thing is to know how to remove them properly, we use the tic removers like a little bent fork. We gave been warned that lymes disease is prevelent here, removing them incorrectly like heat or vaseline can make them panic, and to try and get away they will disgourge themselves of any fluid they have collected, this is a common way of people catching lymes disease.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are in Herault and it can be a bit of a problem especially this time of year, the cats come in with them, but we do have sheep in the fields next to us.

One key thing is to know how to remove them properly, we use the tic removers like a little bent fork. We gave been warned that lymes disease is prevelent here, removing them incorrectly like heat or vaseline can make them panic, and to try and get away they will disgourge themselves of any fluid they have collected, this is a common way of people catching lymes disease.
Yes we have the proper tool.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Yes we have the proper tool.
Sorry I wasn't suggesting you didn't, I thought it was generaly worth mentioning about the tool and the problems of lymes disease and thought your post was a good one to tag it onto.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have some of these. I find them easier to use single-handedly on a wriggly dog especially if the tick is on his face or ear.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You can also remove them quite safely without a tool, put your finger on its back and gently move your finger in a circular motion to the right after about five turns do it to the left and keep repeating this motion, it upsets the Ticks equilibrium and it actually gets dizzy and drops off.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I no longer have dogs but am still curious about how one best disposed of them after you have extracted them?
We know you shouldn't leave any part of them in one's body because, after a number of days while nothing appears to be wrong, suddenly one has problems?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Unfed larvae are able to survive for up to 540 days, while unfed nymphs have been recorded to survive for up to 584 days! Even more impressive, unfed adult American dog ticks can go 2-3 years (up to 1,053 days)without food

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Complex little b*ggers. Generally live quite a hit and miss life as they take up to three years to make it from egg to egg-laying adult, in many cases swapping host species on the way. Bravecto or similar for the dog and if you must go bare legged in tick country (which is pretty well anywhere there are plants they can climb on whilst waiting for lift) try peppermint oil or similar - anything that disguises your scent. As previously stated, no glowing fag ends, petroleum jelly or tick twiddling, just use tweezers, tick removal tools or good old fingernails to whip the tick off - with a twist if you can manage to do it. Anything that gives the tick time to regurgitate its dinner back into your sisyst a big risk. Lots of info here: https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/about/tick-lifecycles.html

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I no longer have dogs but am still curious about how one best disposed of them after you have extracted them?
We know you shouldn't leave any part of them in one's body because, after a number of days while nothing appears to be wrong, suddenly one has problems?
I wrap them in a piece of kitchen towel and ‘pop’ them between my thumb nails. Very satisfying. 😀

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
They are just lying in wait for the tourists to return each year.😈

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun