Three 12gb sims now stoping on 9gb as fair usage... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have always used 12gb SIM cards from 3 that I got from my memory, I have used these for a couple of years now but on this trip I’m getting messages on my HUAWEI that I’m reaching my “feel at home fair usage data” and at around 9gb used it shuts down and I’ve had to put another card in. Now I know they last a year but we are heavy users and 12gb only lasts us about 2-3wks.... I’ve never had this before and sometimes used to get 12-14gb out of them.
I’ll save the cards as re-activating back in the uk will allow me to use the data up on another trip but it’s a pain when in Europe, I can’t find much on 3’s site as it’s a mine field.... has anyone else had problems...?

Do you know of this Mel @Minxy Girl ..?

Thanks

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We're on Vodafone 50gb for £30 a month and hoping it will keep going (have a few 3 12gb cards in reserve)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm.thinking of changing also to Vodafone that gives you all the data you've paid for when roaming.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll need to register the sim with '3' and check the usage on there as the Huawei may not be telling you the truth about your actual usage which could be higher.

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
You'll need to register the sim with '3' and check the usage on there as the Huawei may not be telling you the truth about your actual usage which could be higher.

How do you do that?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I started this trip with a Vodafone pay monthly sim on a rolling 30 day contract. It has worked very well in Italy and has made a 4G connection almost continuously. However, the contract has very limited options to add more data. It was originally 10Gb a month but we used that and there are only options to add 2Gb or 1GB of data at high cost - and after that you can't top up.
I suspect it is a ploy to pursuade you to change to a 12 month contract. These allow a lot more data as the OP says.
I'm now using a Three card, it is only connecting at 3G but is fine.

Deleted User

How do you do that?

Don't need to register to check usage, the log in page shows usage without logging in, the system recognises the sim that you are using.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If you are staying in Portugal for a while get the NOS sim,15 days for €15 unlimited usage.If you are off 3 for more than a month you will be able to use them again.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

This makes sense, I took the three app off my iPad sometime before this trip as I couldn’t see what use it had but now that I’ve put it back on it shows exactly how much data I have left and have used, I’ve just put a new card in so will see if there is a difference in a few weeks, I’ll update then...

Thanks Mel, you made me think about it...(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are staying in Portugal for a while get the NOS sim,15 days for €15 unlimited usage.If you are off 3 for more than a month you will be able to use them again.
Not sure exactly what you are saying but I think you are suggesting that if you don't use your '3' sim for a month (but are still abroad) and then try to use it again abroad it will let you BUT that's not 'meant' to be the case as you are supposed to used it again in the UK to show you're not just using it abroad. Have you done this or did you return to the UK in between or a non-roaming country and turn it on?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't need to register to check usage, the log in page shows usage without logging in, the system recognises the sim that you are using.
Sometimes the '3' site has a hissy fit and won't tell you unless you register and, to be honest, there's no problem WITH registering it if you want to so why not?

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
We're on Vodafone 50gb for £30 a month and hoping it will keep going (have a few 3 12gb cards in reserve)
Us too. Went in to shop to order and salesman said there’s no euro cap despite what the C&Cs say.

So we’ll see.

Deleted User
Sometimes the '3' site has a hissy fit and won't tell you unless you register and, to be honest, there's no problem WITH registering it if you want to so why not?

Simply pointing out that it is possible to retrieve usage data without registering or logging in, not a problem but why bother if you don't need to.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Simply pointing out that it is possible to retrieve usage data without registering or logging in, not a problem but why bother if you don't need to.
Yes I understand, but the '3' site can be temperamental at times if you don't register ... it's a really cr@p site and can be very slow if it's in one of its 'moods' ... not a good image to portray for a mobile internet and phone provider!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What '3' should do to be fair to their customers is allow you to put a 'cap' on yourself so that you can't possibly go over the 12gb limit (this is on a pay monthly sim obviously) but of course that then wouldn't 'earn' them any extra money!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

From the horses mouth.....

Screenshot_20170722-201827.png

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Is it possible to set up a limit on the data using the item you are using?
I know I can on my phone, I can also do it with BT who we have are sim cards with.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm going to be paranoid watching mine so I'll be buying a meo sim card when in Portugal, don't expect to be in Spain much, just passing through and I'll use my 3 sim and then cancel it, I'm glad I had a rolling contract now. Meo had the 15gbfor 15€ last time I was in Portugal. @JJ might know the best sim card for data?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the same, but I asked Vodaphone for a deal, took three attempts but @ £24 its okay. Great for motorhome use. But here in Spain at the house, useless as no Vodaphone signal.
And that's what I'm worried about, paying a 12 months contract and not able to get a signal. With 3 we were able to get a signal most anywhere. With their partner networks.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Smith and Sharp
If you are a 'heavy' user, perhaps the deal that both @ianthebuilder & I got from Three might be of interest;
It is a contract rather than a PAYG but;

For £14 per month - new mifi, 40gb data and Go Binge (no data usage streaming Netflix & specified others - if you have, or can piggy back, a subscription).
20gb for £9

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Smith and Sharp
If you are a 'heavy' user, perhaps the deal that both @ianthebuilder & I got from Three might be of interest;

For £14 per month - new mifi, 40gb data and Go Binge (no data usage streaming Netflix & specified others - if you have, or can piggy back, a subscription).
20gb for £9
How did you managed to get that deal? Last time I heard it had actually gone up to £24 a month for 40gb.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Last edited:
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@Smith and Sharp

20gb for £9

Sounds interesting, is that 40gb a month and what is the go binge about..? We only use WiFi we don’t do phone calls or texts as use what’s app on WiFi...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Smith and Sharp
40gb per month

Go Binge is a deal to stream from Netflix etc without using your data
http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge
[There are restrictions, ie Netflix in SD quality only... the only time I've tried, it did use my data but I discovered my friend's subscription was HD & set to HD, and haven't tried it since].

FUP, I have in my head 30gb but can't find it on my paperwork... TBH, as I don't expect to be abroad I didn't pay much attention.

Looking at
http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=Ext(EM38751)
...seems to suggest that only 12gb whatever your data limit can be used as Feel at Home :(... (9gb on payg).

Edited:
I think the 30gb came from the Hotspot clause.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back