This may affect overnighting in supermarket carparks (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
ASDAs parent company Walmart permit stays in their store parks in the USA and Canada. A chum of mine is a retired Garda Siochana,his opinion of travellers,especially the ones here are very colourful.Suffice to say he reckons that if they came back to Eire,the majority of them would be arrested as soon as they came of the boat.

We overnighted in some Walmarts in Colorado and had an amazing time.

The first time we did it we thought we were on our own until a security guard knocked on the door. We assumed we were being given the marching orders, but he'd just knocked to ask why we didn't want to join all the others round the back. So we drove round to be greeted by about 20 other RVs. We had a great time.

And here's the thing. We ended up spending over $300 on food, clothes and a camera, so Walmart know it is worth getting RVers in.

Alas, in the UK we're so namby-pamby about stuff that things get spoilt by the odd person (or group of people) that we end up losing out on everything. Whatever happened to common sense I say. Just put up a sign saying 12 hour maximum stay for overnighters and problem is solved. Any 'travellers' can gladly stop ONE NIGHT and then they'll have to move on like the rest of us.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well i am not so pc and polite to call them gypsy and traveller types, i say piss off you stinking Itinerants, they are all over my neck of the woods at the moment, my mate lives on 7 acres of field and has recently been intimidated by them, they broke in to his field and have camped up, he has now got to get a court order to remove them, the police and council have both said as there is no hard evidence they broke in , and there is nothing they can do,
these Itinerants have and are leaving toilet waste and rubish anywhere and worse still are sending the kids to rob what ever they can find on this site , and also they have told my mate he best leave for his own safety as there are more coming and it is going to be theirs soon, WTF IS THIS COUNTRY COMING T0
pETE

Is there a local farmer who could be persuaded to do some muck spreading or silage spraying over the seven acre field?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We overnighted in some Walmarts in Colorado and had an amazing time.

The first time we did it we thought we were on our own until a security guard knocked on the door. We assumed we were being given the marching orders, but he'd just knocked to ask why we didn't want to join all the others round the back. So we drove round to be greeted by about 20 other RVs. We had a great time.

And here's the thing. We ended up spending over $300 on food, clothes and a camera, so Walmart know it is worth getting RVers in.

Alas, in the UK we're so namby-pamby about stuff that things get spoilt by the odd person (or group of people) that we end up losing out on everything. Whatever happened to common sense I say. Just put up a sign saying 12 hour maximum stay for overnighters and problem is solved. Any 'travellers' can gladly stop ONE NIGHT and then they'll have to move on like the rest of us.
Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, the legislation is different in this country. Nothing to do with common sense - which, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just been reading all these posts and really hope that supermarkets don't decide to put height barriers into their car parks. The van is our only vehicle and we use it to shop at Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi. So if we found barriers in place in the future, it would make life very difficult:(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Height barriers in supermarket car parks are highly unlikely as supermarkets in general have no wish to discourage customers whatever their vehicle. This is the current position.

The incident in the OP is fairly isolated as "travellers" tend to avoid such sites because they know the higher the number of people they inconvenience the more likely they are to bring trouble to their own door.

Supermarkets are much more likely to install gate type barriers when they are closed to discourage boy racers from using their car parks.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Other countries have Romany populations but Irish Travellers seem to be mainly confined to the UK, Ireland (where they are recognised as a social group but not an ethnic group) and the USA (descendants of post-famine settlers). Legislation is also different in other countries and that enables unauthorised sites to be promptly dealt with.

If Asda continue to have problems the likely outcome is that they will install barriers (which, if fixed, would affect all large vehicles). No supermarket in the UK will admit to a policy of allowing overnight camping by motorhomes as it would be likely to lead to a breach of the 1960 Act.

I have seen IRISH TRAVELLERS in SPAIN and PORTUGAL over the years , lots around PARIS too. BUSBY:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Just been reading all these posts and really hope that supermarkets don't decide to put height barriers into their car parks. The van is our only vehicle and we use it to shop at Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi. So if we found barriers in place in the future, it would make life very difficult:(
If they ever do there's always the delivery entrance .....if an artic fits a motorhome will fit :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If they ever do there's always the delivery entrance .....if an artic fits a motorhome will fit :)

The problem with that is the delivery entrance usually states "Deliveries only"

The problem with this is that there is usually a sign saying "Delivery vehicles only" and there's always a "jobsworth" lurking around somewhere:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back