Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I found the new server, however i have to log in every time i try and access it on my Iphone. I have ticked remember my details, but if doesnt.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I appear to have the new server but when I type in search for a member no suggestions come up as they did previously. Any suggestions?

Pauline
That is an AJAX feature so might be the forward proxy. I am going to investigate to see if there is anything I can do but I doubt it sorry. It will resolve itself when your ISP updates the DNS. You could try rebooting your computer and router to clear the cache if you haven't already?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
OK. I have looked into the ajax issue to see if it is a proxy forward issue and it isn't. It works fine on my computer when I am using the old server.
It should resolve itself in time.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
You seem to think I don't know what I am doing. But it seems you don't understand how DNS works in the real world vs theory perhaps?

Just a little polite explanation.
The TTL on our domains were set to 15 minutes over a week ago during the initial planning stages. It was previously 2 hours.

The bit that you perhaps don't know or understand fully is that ISP's like BT etc will ignore the TTL for their ADSL customers if they are set below a certain threshold. From my very long experience this appears to be 12 hours for a lot of ISPs and for some as much as 24 hours. So no matter how low I set the the TTL some ISPs will ignore it.

A further bit of information, just for you as I didn't want to get too technical in this thread.
Last night after the migration was complete I enabled port forwarding on the old server for port 80 and 443 to forward them to the new server using IPTABLES, a technique I have been using since 2012 with 100% success rate..
For some reason although this worked initially it started failing after 10-15 minutes and leaving the connection to hang and timeout. I spent an hour or two trying to solve it, but in the end Jim and I decided it was better to have the holding page of the old server rather than a connection timeout like that. Also it was causing the networking daemon to hang causing ALL new connections on all ports to hang. My existing ssh connection was ok, but if that had got disconnected during a failure I would not have been able to recover without a full server reboot which is not desirable.

This morning after some sleep I decided to implement a forward proxy in nginx on the old server which proxies just this one site. Not as elegant as the firewall port forward as it has to be done on a site by site basis and this server has multiple sites.

So to respond to your "I would sugest not". I have been doing this since 1997. I have migrated many thousands of servers in that time. I have 100% success rate/score across multiple freelance services.
So suggest away :D :p I won't lose any sleep over your lack of confidence :moon2: .

PS:
The nginx proxy method is a handy one I have used in other scenarios. But never needed for a server migration before. So this will be a method I keep in my back pocket for the next migration where a port forward fails to work (hopefully never does).
Are all those difficult words taken from the Welsh language 🤷🏻‍♂️😇😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
rb62 works fine for me. I think your issue is probably unrelated. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies?
At least it's not just me 🙂

04E08980-B05D-41A3-99BB-60CA855CCC79.jpeg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At least it's not just me 🙂

View attachment 900834
I don't doubt it is happening. I am just limited on what I can do to fix it. I suspect it will clear on it's own when your ISP finally gets around to updating it's DNS.

I have just checked your IP and you are in fact definitely still going to the old server, and are only viewing the new server due to the the forward proxy.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You seem to think I don't know what I am doing? But it seems you don't understand how DNS works in the real world vs theory perhaps?

Just a little polite explanation.
The TTL on our domains were set to 15 minutes over a week ago during the initial planning stages. It was previously 2 hours.

The bit that you perhaps don't know or understand fully is that ISP's like BT etc will ignore the TTL for their ADSL customers if they are set below a certain threshold. From my very long experience this appears to be 12 hours for a lot of ISPs and for some as much as 24 hours. So no matter how low I set the the TTL some ISPs will ignore it.

A further bit of information, just for you as I didn't want to get too technical in this thread.
Last night after the migration was complete I enabled port forwarding on the old server for port 80 and 443 to forward them to the new server using IPTABLES, a technique I have been using since 2012 with 100% success rate..
For some reason although this worked initially it started failing after 10-15 minutes and leaving the connection to hang and timeout. I spent an hour or two trying to solve it, but in the end Jim and I decided it was better to have the holding page of the old server rather than a connection timeout like that. Also it was causing the networking daemon to hang causing ALL new connections on all ports to hang. My existing ssh connection was ok, but if that had got disconnected during a failure I would not have been able to recover without a full server reboot which is not desirable.

This morning after some sleep I decided to implement a forward proxy in nginx on the old server which proxies just this one site. Not as elegant as the firewall port forward as it has to be done on a site by site basis and this server has multiple sites.

So to respond to your "I would sugest not". I have been doing this since 1997. I have migrated many thousands of servers in that time. I have 100% success rate/score across multiple freelance services.
So suggest away :D :p I won't lose any sleep over your lack of confidence :moon2: .

PS:
The nginx proxy method is a handy one I have used in other scenarios. But never needed for a server migration before. So this will be a method I keep in my back pocket for the next migration where a port forward fails to work (hopefully never does).
After reading this I ham retiring to a dark room completely.
Far to much for my little head
Wildbill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I found the new server, however i have to log in every time i try and access it on my Iphone. I have ticked remember my details, but if doesnt.
It is possible you are flip flopping between the servers. Should settle down.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It took a while but I'm here now but I have no gifs or smileys I think they got left behind Jim can you send a van to fetch them?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It took a while but I'm here now but I have no gifs or smileys I think they got left behind Jim can you send a van to fetch them?
They should come - I wasn't getting them earlier today but then they were a few minutes ago but when I just tried now for this post they've gone again!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have figured out the issue with the smilies.

Can you test now please? Might need to do a hard refresh of your browser.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I on a phone as I'm away, when I click I get a brief look at the old server then nothing

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i hadn't got smilies or gifs so thought i may have been flip flopping, is that a techie term?, but just tried them a moment ago and i now have 'em, whoohoo.. (y)
after a long, long night in the dark and cold and not in the safe bosom of the forum to drive the bogeymen away until about 10.30am'ish, just want to say thanks to both of you, Gromett and Jim , you must both be flippin' nackered..
this site is addictive, the best addiction going as far as i am concerned, even better than chocolate..:giggler:

Last One Nicksplat GIF by Hey Arnold

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Hi guys great work👍
But now that the dust has settled I have one device where I need to log in but I cannot get an email confirmation code and I cannot find my Back up codes.

Can this be resolved

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My only issue seems to be I keep getting logged off after about 15 mins.
Even in the middle of reading a thread, suddenly I get inundated with adverts.
Log back in again and I'm OK for another 15 mins or so.

Note:
I always default my setting to NOT 'stay logged in'
(30+ years in IT, so I only ever save log in's/passwords to a secure area, not on the PC or Google memory)

1716629740594.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My only issue seems to be I keep getting logged off after about 15 mins.
Even in the middle of reading a thread, suddenly I get inundated with adverts.
Log back in again and I'm OK for another 15 mins or so.

Note:
I always default my setting to NOT 'stay logged in'
(30+ years in IT, so I only ever save log in's/passwords to a secure area, not on the PC or Google memory)

View attachment 901097
You are still flip flopping between the old servers IP and the new servers ip.
1716636478866.png

Each time this happens you may have to re-login. this will resolve itself when your ISP consistently offers you the new IP address.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The Gateway not found Errors (502)

I will clear a few things up.
1) This is definitely happening.
2) It is not your fault.
3) It appears to be happening on the old server not the new server. (1800 incidents on the old server only a handful on the new)

So. It will only affect people who's DNS is still not updated. It will not happen on every visit.

The cause is I believe due to the fix I put in place for the smilies issues yesterday.

The three people who have reported the issue that I am aware of. Jim old-mo and tacr2man are all showing the old servers IP.

I think this is one of those things that is not worth me spending too much time fixing as it is VERY intermittent and only affects a few people who are still not seeing the new server IP address.
It will sort itself out. But in the mean time my apologies for any frustration this has and will cause, but be assured it is temporary.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're gonna affect anyone Grom might as well affect the 'big boss man' ... I'll let you choose whether I mean Jim or Mo!

:LOL: (I finally got my smilies back, whey-hey!)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting - was reading the forum just now [several topics and pages loaded no problem] & it suddenly came up with Bad Gateway 502 on my Brave browser. Switched to Chrome, same message.
Yet perfectly fine on my phone, same wifi network
Turned on my VPN and forum loaded as normal.

Was it the Chrome/Brave browsers having a glitch?

Edit:
Switched off VPN, everything seems ok

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting - was reading the forum just now [several topics and pages loaded no problem] & it suddenly came up with Bad Gateway 502 on my Brave browser. Switched to Chrome, same message.
Yet perfectly fine on my phone, same wifi network
Turned on my VPN and forum loaded as normal.

Was it the Chrome/Brave browsers having a glitch?

Edit:
Switched off VPN, everything seems ok

It is because you are still hitting the old server occasionally. For some reason your ISP has really held onto the old IP address for a long time.
The old server is occasionally having issues due to the patch I put in place to ensure smilies,notification, search etc work. The gateway errors only affects people who's ISP is sending them to the old server and is intermittent.
It happened 3 times yesterday for a few minutes each time. I admit I am loath to spend time trying to fix it as any fix may cause another problem and it is now affecting very few people.

Just checked and you were still hitting the old server up till 12:28 this afternoon. Since then you have come from 2 different IP addresses directly to the new server.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can’t get fun in my iPad, was fine last night but no matter what I do as in clearing cookies and history and deleting motorhomefun favourites.. luckily can get it on my phone but I’m hotspotting to my phone..🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can’t get fun in my iPad, was fine last night but no matter what I do as in clearing cookies and history and deleting motorhomefun favourites.. luckily can get it on my phone but I’m hotspotting to my phone..🤔🤷🏼‍♂️
You were hitting the old server until 10:48 am today. Then 25 minutes ago you came from a new ip address directly to the new server.

You should still be able to get in.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You were hitting the old server until 10:48 am today. Then 25 minutes ago you came from a new ip address directly to the new server.

You should still be able to get in.

I found an olde favourite tab in settings so deleted it and now all is good again…👍🏼

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back