LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm sorry but 'New server' means nothing to me.
'Proxy' in this context means nothing to me.
AJAX was a ship that took part in the battle of the River Plate.

Can someone please advise me on, how to get the new, super dooper MHF on my laptop?
Ive switched it off, I've restarted it. Nothing.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok. I have dug into the cause of the gateway errors a lot more. I have now fixed it and you shouldn't see them anymore.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
ISP has really held onto the old IP address for a long time.
...but then why is my phone, on the same network ie same ISP glitch free.
My ISP is Lightspeed, and yet everything fine via a VPN but surely even then must go finally via the Lightspeed network & infrastructure ?

Not a problem, just curious.
It's all a dark art to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
...but then why is my phone, on the same network ie same ISP glitch free.
My ISP is Lightspeed, and yet everything fine via a VPN but surely even then must go finally via the Lightspeed network & infrastructure ?

Not a problem, just curious.
It's all a dark art to me.
When you use a VPN they provide their own DNS which is probably better configured than an ISP.
When you use an ISP without a VPN you use the DNS of the ISP and may point to the old server.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That I get Carl.
What I don't get is why my PC browsers glitch but my phone doesn't yet everything uses the same network /router
Why is it not all or nothing.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you are genuinely interested I can and am happy to explain it in plain English, if you are not I won't waste my time (y) :)
Thanks for the very kind offer Karl but my Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 works totally smoothly at the moment.

It's on Android.

JJ :cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That I get Carl.
What I don't get is why my PC browsers glitch but my phone doesn't yet everything uses the same network /router
Why is it not all or nothing.
There are literally 100s of reasons but my guess would be your router does not cache DNS for very long.

There are multiple levels of caching. Your browser caches the lookup, your computer caches the lookup, the router caches the lookup, your isp caches the lookup.
So it is possible if one cache expires now it could get the old server records and pass that down the line. Where as the other device still has the good one cached.

The other possibility is the phone uses googles DNS servers directly (8.8.8.8)?

I cannot give a definitive reason sorry. but it is not caused by us. I have run multiple DNS diagnostics by different providers globally and all gives us a clean bill of health.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
There are literally 100s of reasons but my guess would be your router does not cache DNS for very long.

There are multiple levels of caching. Your browser caches the lookup, your computer caches the lookup, the router caches the lookup, your isp caches the lookup.
So it is possible if one cache expires now it could get the old server records and pass that down the line. Where as the other device still has the good one cached.

The other possibility is the phone uses googles DNS servers directly (8.8.8.8)?

I cannot give a definitive reason sorry. but it is not caused by use. I have run multiple DNS diagnostics by different providers globally and all gives us a clean bill of health.
As I surmised - it's all a dark art
accuse the hunchback of notre dame GIF

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gromett. Could you please explain and how to clear browser cache and cookies .
That's a Jim question :p I never clear mine and I am on Linux not Windows or Apple sorry.

I think he may have even done a tutorial on it?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gromett. Could you please explain and how to clear browser cache and cookies .
PS: What problem are you having. There shouldn't be any issues any more now?
you haven't been on the old server since yesterday morning at 08:04am.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At around 9pm tonight it appears the last of the ISP's got the hint and updated their DNS cache, Traffic has now dropped off to nothing on the old server.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I’ve kept off this thread as being a total numpty regarding technology I wouldn’t understand any advice I was given!
All I know is that I can access MHFUN on my I Phone and my oldest I Pad, but not on the other 2 I Pads I have🥴
Needless to say I’m posting this on the IPad that works!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back