This is the new server (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Working , not working , now working again,
Not a clue about the advise how to solve it, I can just turn it on and off , anything more technical and it gets troublesome 😇😎😆👀

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It won’t let me load an attachment (a pasted article about mediocre managers) - tried a few times from a few devices but otherwise ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It won’t let me load an attachment (a pasted article about mediocre managers) - tried a few times from a few devices but otherwise ok
Sorry I don't understand what you mean? Load an attachment?
Do you mean upload an attachment or view an attachment? Not being pedantic, need to understand the exact issue?

gromit-4.jpg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Got on at last👍 but when you use the @ in front of someones name it used to show you that it had worked before you posted but now it doesn't Gromett

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
rb62 works fine for me. I think your issue is probably unrelated. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry I don't understand what you mean? Load an attachment?
Do you mean upload an attachment or view an attachment? Not being pedantic, need to understand the exact issue?

View attachment 900797
I copied the DT article about managers failing upwards and went to paste it as normal on to the thread but it simply “jumped” and nothing was pasted - as if I had never tried.

The link will paste but not any text copied from it, which is unusual

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I copied the DT article about managers failing upwards and went to paste it as normal on to the thread but it simply “jumped” and nothing was pasted - as if I had never tried
was it a screen shot of the article or a copy and paste of the actual text?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My memory bank maybe wrong but I thought Jim upped the amount of threads on page 1 to 50 ?
Currently showing 30.

Apologies if wrong

Gromett

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It was a copy and paste of the article itself, which did include images
This is just a test.

Six beers that are good for your gut health – and the ones to avoid​

Research points to some beers being better for you than others – so which are the ones to go for?

Gut-friendly beers

Guinness is Good for You is one of the most famous advertising campaigns in history, but away from the slogans and billboards, it appears there could have been a grain of truth in the suggestion that everyone’s favourite stout does something positive for the body.
In recent years, researchers have been accumulating evidence to suggest that certain beers could help improve the diversity of species in the gut microbiome, something which tends to be associated with health benefits. In 2022, a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry followed 22 men who drank a little more than half a pint of beer every day for four weeks and found that they subsequently had better markers of intestinal health.
Now, a review of experiments published in the journal Frontiers in Nutrition has concluded that the various ingredients within beer may have a positive impact on the immune system, when broken down and fermented within the gut.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I was 'locked out' as you tactlessly put it for less than 2h... which I think suggests the migration was done effectively, efficiently and with expertise.
Yes, I do tend to call a spade a spade. I would add a smilie here, but the link tries to get them fron the old server.
:frowny: added manually.

Only 2 hours. Where have you been?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It was a copy and paste of the article itself, which did include images
Sorry I can't replicate the problem so can't assist sorry. Think it may be something at your end.
May possibly be an artifact of the forward proxy but not sure how to be honest.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry I can't replicate the problem so can't assist sorry. Think it may be something at your end.
May possibly be an artifact of the forward proxy but not sure how to be honest.
Just tried again, using exactly the same as before and it works, so something somewhere must have cleared. The article is well worth a read, by the way
Thanks for the efforts

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
Well - I couldn’t get on early this morning but fine (‘This is the new server’ message) a few hours later. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve only just got back in. I’ve been to the gym as normal but I still wasn’t in so had to go shopping. It wasn’t too costly. Well compared to last Friday at the Newbury show anyway:giggle:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Far too late doing it now. It needed to have been done at least 48 hours before you started the move.

As we were all locked out for so long, I would sugest not.

You seem to think I don't know what I am doing? But it seems you don't understand how DNS works in the real world vs theory perhaps?

Just a little polite explanation.
The TTL on our domains were set to 15 minutes over a week ago during the initial planning stages. It was previously 2 hours.

The bit that you perhaps don't know or understand fully is that ISP's like BT etc will ignore the TTL for their ADSL customers if they are set below a certain threshold. From my very long experience this appears to be 12 hours for a lot of ISPs and for some as much as 24 hours. So no matter how low I set the the TTL some ISPs will ignore it.

A further bit of information, just for you as I didn't want to get too technical in this thread.
Last night after the migration was complete I enabled port forwarding on the old server for port 80 and 443 to forward them to the new server using IPTABLES, a technique I have been using since 2012 with 100% success rate..
For some reason although this worked initially it started failing after 10-15 minutes and leaving the connection to hang and timeout. I spent an hour or two trying to solve it, but in the end Jim and I decided it was better to have the holding page of the old server rather than a connection timeout like that. Also it was causing the networking daemon to hang causing ALL new connections on all ports to hang. My existing ssh connection was ok, but if that had got disconnected during a failure I would not have been able to recover without a full server reboot which is not desirable.

This morning after some sleep I decided to implement a forward proxy in nginx on the old server which proxies just this one site. Not as elegant as the firewall port forward as it has to be done on a site by site basis and this server has multiple sites.

So to respond to your "I would sugest not". I have been doing this since 1997. I have migrated many thousands of servers in that time. I have 100% success rate/score across multiple freelance services.
So suggest away :D :p I won't lose any sleep over your lack of confidence :moon2: .

PS:
The nginx proxy method is a handy one I have used in other scenarios. But never needed for a server migration before. So this will be a method I keep in my back pocket for the next migration where a port forward fails to work (hopefully never does).

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Again, just FYI

read my alerts, bell shows clear
1716554805821.png

refresh the page and same alert shows again,
1716554845390.png

been happening since the move, if I get another alert that new one clears the repeat offender, then the new alert takes the same stance and keep showing till another alert knocks it off.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Again, just FYI

View attachment 900817

View attachment 900818

been happening since the move, if I get another alert that new one clears the repeat offender, then the new alert takes the same stance and keep showing till another alert knocks it off.
Ignore....just seems resolved

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Again, just FYI

View attachment 900817

View attachment 900818

It is possible although I do not know how. That the forward proxy I am using to get you from the old server to the new server is not handling ajax calls properly. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do to fix that sorry. But once your DNS catches up it will all start working. The forward proxy is not a perfect solution but it gets most functionality up and running for those on ISP's that are slow to update DNS.

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
I appear to have the new server but when I type in search for a member no suggestions come up as they did previously. Any suggestions?

Pauline

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back