BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Sounds like you have the basis on a good plan.

I like you, learnt lots of valuable info from these people before I got my motorhome in January and even more since getting it. You will usually find me on the “help for the begineers” section. :)

The best tip is as mentioned - don’t rush any thing.

Good luck with everything - the house sale, the motorhome, the dog and the travelling !

Jo

Thanks:) It is amazing the things that you have never even considered until you start reading the forum, I have already been saved from making loads of mistakes. I have gone from considering at the beginning of the year a VW T25, then a hymer starline (think they are a bit too wide + feel I should get something as new as I can) to wanting a Globecar globecar summit 600 but the bank balance says no, so will have to find a compromise. I am going to take it slowly and make a list of a) essentials, b) not in this lifetime and c) maybe.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
That is a big payload, especially for one person and a dog assuming the dog will not be human weight.

That payload only included 20L of water, no solar panels or inverter AFAIK and only one battery and it will be my only home, won't be using campsites:xgrin: Also have a bad book habit, don't do kindle, would not do me any good if I did as 90% of my books are not available on it. Everything I own has to go in it, not leaving anything in storage in the uk, may be able to drop off a few things with people I know in France. Usually cook from scratch every night with fresh local ingredients, don't eat takeaways, rarely eat out so will need reasonably equipped kitchen. Dog will probably be a cockerpoo or wire haired fox terrier or Irish terrier, so not too big. Plus clothes, shoes, craft/dressmaking supplies. Tools.

I have no idea what weight all of the above will be but 340kg does not sound very big to me.:confused:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Have you looked at webbs motorhomes on the industrial estate just a long from Dunelm's in Newport , he has got a dozen or so motorhomes not sure about panel vans , but might give you some idea's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have no idea what weight all of the above will be but 340kg does not sound very big to me.:confused:

I think you took that the wrong way, what I was saying is that as motorhomes go that is a decent payload.

What everyone has to learn, one way or another, is a mobile home is not a house. There are limitations due to weight and space. Now you can go an buy an RV which is as near a house as you can get but then you pay in 10 mpg and finding somewhere to park it.

Books are bad news, so heavy, so bulky.

The bottom line is, like it or not, you have to adjust to your new imposed limitations. Some don't, a year on and back to bricks. We always tell people to rent out their property for a good while just in case they change their mind.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Have you looked at webbs motorhomes on the industrial estate just a long from Dunelm's in Newport , he has got a dozen or so motorhomes not sure about panel vans , but might give you some idea's.

Thanks, I had forgotten about them, I have not been along there in about a year, try and avoid Newport as much as possible. Gave them a call earlier, they don't have any automatics in ATM so there is no rush to get up there. Will go and have a poke around up there in Jan. Last time I went past it looked like they were mainly big, wide over cab jobbies but I can tell them the sort of thing I want.

I shall start having a few day trips out after Christmas, think there are a couple of places in Southampton to try and the place in Gosport. Will leave my credit cards at home!

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
I think you took that the wrong way, what I was saying is that as motorhomes go that is a decent payload.

What do you expect I am a Batty Old Dear:xdoh:

What everyone has to learn, one way or another, is a mobile home is not a house. There are limitations due to weight and space. Now you can go an buy an RV which is as near a house as you can get but then you pay in 10 mpg and finding somewhere to park it.

I quite agree it is not a house, for many people it is a home, whatever configuration it comes in. My home for just over 2 years was a basic van, with 2 bench seats, one cupboard with 2 gas rings on top, no sink, loo or shower and I loved it. Had everything I owned in that one.

Books are bad news, so heavy, so bulky.

Good news is I don't have many clothes & shoes, don't need a tv, microwave, BBQ or bicycle.

We always tell people to rent out their property for a good while just in case they change their mind.

Yes, it always posssible that I could go back to bricks, unlikely to be in the uk, I need more sun, somewhere where property is cheaper to buy or rent than it is here. Experienced in moving on my own to places where I don't know anyone and have never lived before. Sadly renting out my house is not an option - it needs rewiring, new doors & windows, has no central heating, desperately needs a new kitchen & bathroom, outside needs repointing. Cannot be let in that condition. For various reasons it is not possible for me to sort out all of the problems, so selling. Selling a do'er upper in the cheapest part of the Island on a main road is not going to give me enough to buy a bungalow which is what my knees need :(

I do value your input, it does make me think.:xThumb:

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
.... not just any Tardis - a narrow, automatic one, probably LHD.

Hi Everyone

I am a retired female, spatially challenged:unsure:, with a duff clutch knee. I am
currently preparing my house to sell, getting rid of as many belongings as
possible, had no idea I had so many things that were 'going to come in useful'. Also looking for a dog as a travelling companion.

Plan was to get a MH/PVC, travel around Portugal and decide where I was
going to live. Since reading of some of your adventures have decided that I am too young to settle down, now going to travel around as many Countries in Europe as possible, although if things go badly I may have to spend the odd 90 days in Outer Mongolia or other non shengen Country.

Funsters have already saved me from making very expensive mistakes whilst I
have been lurking. When I first started reading this forum I was about to get a van from Germany, then I read about the dreaded P word - payload. I worked out that the van I was going to buy had a payload of about 340kg, which is not going to cut it for FTing off grid which I hope to be doing ASAP. Plus you really made me think about things like security and what I want, like a fixed bed. Going to read Jim's buying guide before I make any decisions.

Looking forward to joining in the madness fun.:xsmile:
Whatever you decide enjoy, I’ll be watching your travels

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What do you expect I am a Batty Old Dear:xdoh:
I do value your input, it does make me think.:xThumb:

You are coming across as a survivor to me. Has anyone said "Hymer" to you ? The old ones are the nearest thing to a Tardis I've come across.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Also have a bad book habit, don't do kindle, would not do me any good if I did as 90% of my books are not available on it.
Don't know if you can bear to part with any of your books but a lot of motorhomers like to swap books while travelling as it helps to keep the payload down.

Do you 'YouTube'? There are some great videos on there showing people full-timing in their vans. E.g.

It seems that many full-timers are happier converting (or paying someone to convert) a van to their own spec rather than buying a ready-made MH. It's a lot cheaper too. Here's an excellent web site: -
https://vandogtraveller.com/

Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Books are bad news in a motorhome. I am a book person, often very old out of print or a few even in manuscript.. All available to a kindle as it will read doc files even pdf. I have around 300 books on bookshelves but around 15,000 electronically stored which can be transferred to kindle if required (not all at once of course)
Amazon is OK for mainstream best sellers but you may need to search the Internet for less common items, the vast majority available for free.
Kindles are OK for reading as long as you get the 'electronic paper' type, not the kindle fire which is useless in the sun.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
You are coming across as a survivor to me. Has anyone said "Hymer" to you ? The old ones are the nearest thing to a Tardis I've come across.

I have investigated them myself. I have considered a 510 Starline but they are far wider than I would like:( was going to have a look at one, when I checked MOT history there were a few suspension advisories going back several years with nothing done about them and mention of corrosion. Sounded like it could be expensive. Like the idea of the Merc chassis, higher up driving positon and RWD.

I also like the little hymer exsis sk?/sg? can't remember letters, not as wide, lots of storage for its size, relatively good payload, automatics rare as hen's teeth.

If I could find one it would be a strong contender, probably could be happy with one for a few years:)

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Don't know if you can bear to part with any of your books but a lot of motorhomers like to swap books while travelling as it helps to keep the payload down.

95% of my books are non-fiction. Most fiction I have is as audio books which I have mainly got from library which I love as you can listen while sewing, knitting etc or driving.

Do you 'YouTube'? There are some great videos on there showing people full-timing in their vans.

Yes I do 'You Tube' normally music, but have recently started using for MH/PVC tours. I found a smallish camper a while ago which I thought might just do but when I saw the tour and the underbed storage had loads of electrical gubbins in them and left very little actual space. So found that very useful.

Have looked at a few full-timers blogs but not watched any videos as yet. I will start with the ones you kindly took the trouble to find for me from and will find loads more I am sure, great idea from you thanks.

It seems that many full-timers are happier converting (or paying someone to convert) a van to their own spec rather than buying a ready-made MH. It's a lot cheaper too. Here's an excellent web site: -
https://vandogtraveller.com/

That is something I am also considering, could not do it myself where I live ATM, drive too short for a van and very, very steep. Yes you are right it would be cheaper even if I paid someone to do it for me. Had already book marked the vandog site a while ago and found it useful.

Hope this helps.

It certainly has thanks :xsmile:

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Books are bad news in a motorhome. I am a book person, often very old out of print or a few even in manuscript.. All available to a kindle as it will read doc files even pdf. I have around 300 books on bookshelves but around 15,000 electronically stored which can be transferred to kindle if required (not all at once of course)
Amazon is OK for mainstream best sellers but you may need to search the Internet for less common items, the vast majority available for free.
Kindles are OK for reading as long as you get the 'electronic paper' type, not the kindle fire which is useless in the sun.

Useful info thanks. Will have to have a search around and see if I can find some of mine. Have been getting rid of a few books at a time, several times a year for about 4 years, does not hurt quite so much doing it that way:xsad: Have got my fiction books down to about 12. The problem is the non-fiction.xroll:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Useful info thanks. Will have to have a search around and see if I can find some of mine. Have been getting rid of a few books at a time, several times a year for about 4 years, does not hurt quite so much doing it that way:xsad: Have got my fiction books down to about 12. The problem is the non-fiction.xroll:
Most of mine are not fiction though I like a light read at bedtime. I don't know what non fiction you go for, obviously kindle is not great for illustrations apart from line drawings.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
from what I have read so far, and as you have indicated, you are a bit like a butterfly. maybe think through a bit more what type of motorhome you feel is right and start to tick somethings off your checklist of options. Auto is a requirement. Payload it critical - 450kg would be minimum in my view, question yourself about the books - books = weight. Width - Class of motorhome - integrated, semi integrated, etc. "A' class are usually 2.35m wide or the latest Hymer spec is 2.25 (?). And enjoy the process. Once you have a better idea I believe the feedback will clearly also be more focused.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I also like the little hymer exsis sk?/sg?

We actually have a member with the little one, in red. Seen it at a few meets.

Don't underestimate FIAT and don't overestimate Merc. One member had a reasonably new Merc that melted a piston and cost him £12K ( from memory ). We have had two FIATs and cant fault them mechanically and the chassis stood the test of time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That payload only included 20L of water, no solar panels or inverter AFAIK and only one battery and it will be my only home, won't be using campsites:xgrin: Also have a bad book habit, don't do kindle, would not do me any good if I did as 90% of my books are not available on it. Everything I own has to go in it, not leaving anything in storage in the uk, may be able to drop off a few things with people I know in France. Usually cook from scratch every night with fresh local ingredients, don't eat takeaways, rarely eat out so will need reasonably equipped kitchen. Dog will probably be a cockerpoo or wire haired fox terrier or Irish terrier, so not too big. Plus clothes, shoes, craft/dressmaking supplies. Tools.

Pleased you have taken on board all the info about payload. With what you are planning I would think you need an minium of 700kg preferably a 1000kg. The older Exsis you were talking about I don't think it would have anything like enough storage space. The next generation on the Ford have good payloads and storage also they are narrow but I don't think they were available as a Auto, The 3rd generation on the Fiat have reasonable payloads and you can get them on a 4250 kg chassis with a huge payload & auto but I think they will be out of your budget.

Another thing to note on payloads is that any factory or dealer fitted extras will reduce the payload, manufacturers packs awning, 2nd battery, ovens, probably loose about 150kg.

Have a look Broken Link Removed

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
1E2A67E0-9818-44F7-862E-8BDE57820E76.gif

and Welcome from the both of us.

Lots of great advice on here. Still learning after after 40 years!

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Welcome and good luck ... I'm not going full timing but I am semi retired and aim to just get up and go as the mood takes me.. I'm also in the process of trying to sell my house... its going slowly ...

Just a note on spatial awareness... my Hymer has aftermarket parking sensors so that may be an option if you buy older... I would think they are now standard on more recent models... I drive a 2017 Ford Tourneo on the school run and that has distance sensors which are active at all times..

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
from what I have read so far, and as you have indicated, you are a bit like a butterfly. maybe think through a bit more what type of motorhome you feel is right and start to tick somethings off your checklist of options.

Hiya Pandas, never corresponded with a panda before:xsmile: Thanks for your input:xThumb:

You say butterfly - I say open to all possibilities:xgrin:

Auto is a requirement. Payload it critical - 450kg would be minimum in my view, question yourself about the books - books = weight. Width - Class of motorhome - integrated, semi integrated, etc. "A' class are usually 2.35m wide or the latest Hymer spec is 2.25 (?). And enjoy the process. Once you have a better idea I believe the feedback will clearly also be more focused.

I am getting there slowly but I may need to compromise with what I like, what I can afford and what is available which is why I am trying to keep as many options open as I can. Yes the payload is critical.
So far it has to be:
Auto
large payload
pref under 2m wide (it will be my only vehicle)
fixed bed (can be a single or two)
plenty of storage

I have about a dozen ebay saved searches that I check most days. Plus a load of dealers bookmarked which I check every few days, would check more often if I could search 'auto' only most you can't on most, it is very time consuming. It is quite useful doing a wide search as it sometimes throws up things I had never considered before and even more to the not with a bargepole list:xsmile:

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
We actually have a member with the little one, in red. Seen it at a few meets.

I think there is someone else on here with one who has a blog.

Don't underestimate FIAT and don't overestimate Merc. One member had a reasonably new Merc that melted a piston and cost him £12K ( from memory ). We have had two FIATs and cant fault them mechanically and the chassis stood the test of time.

My main prob with fiat is they tend to be wider than the sprinter chassis and frequently 'low profile' (happy to be corrected if wrong), I like being high up as am not that tall, I like to look over the top of other traffic:xgrin: It does appear that most campers are fiat based.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Pleased you have taken on board all the info about payload. With what you are planning I would think you need an minium of 700kg preferably a 1000kg. The older Exsis you were talking about I don't think it would have anything like enough storage space.

I agree re payload, the bigger the better. Did read an in depth review about Exsis and in the tech specs they listed payload at 700. Which if true makes it more of an option, although with head more than heart.

The next generation on the Ford have good payloads and storage also they are narrow but I don't think they were available as a Auto, The 3rd generation on the Fiat have reasonable payloads and you can get them on a 4250 kg chassis with a huge payload & auto but I think they will be out of your budget.

Another thing to note on payloads is that any factory or dealer fitted extras will reduce the payload, manufacturers packs awning, 2nd battery, ovens, probably loose about 150kg.

Have a look Broken Link Removed

As soon as I select auto they all disappear, there was an auto a few months ago, they wanted close to €29,000 for it.

This is the one my heart wants:

Broken Link Removed

Not sure about those hoofing great boxes on the back + PIA as you can't open back doors? Wonder if the dealer has recently down plated it as I am sure if someone filled those boxes up payload would be in big trouble. Loads of storage under bottom bunk, all my clothes & shoes would easily fit on the top one or the bottom one might be better for weight being lower down & I sleep on the top.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Welcome and good luck ... I'm not going full timing but I am semi retired and aim to just get up and go as the mood takes me.. I'm also in the process of trying to sell my house... its going slowly ...

Just a note on spatial awareness... my Hymer has aftermarket parking sensors so that may be an option if you buy older... I would think they are now standard on more recent models...

Thanks for the info. It is not so much parking I would get cameras for that, it is driving - avoiding parked cars on my side & oncoming traffic on narrow roads. Probably just takes practice aafter dtiving a relatively narrow car.

I drive a 2017 Ford Tourneo on the school run and that has distance sensors which are active at all times..

Now that is what I need:xgrin:

Where I live is very scary, narrow roads, buses that are wider than their own half of the road, loads of older people who have never taken a driving test, like my Dad, he learnt to drive tanks & jeeps during his national service and was given a driving licence. Luckily for everyone apart from him he does not have enough eyesight to be allowed to drive any longer. People think yellow boxes are to stop in while you are waiting to go, as for mini roundabouts....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This is the one my heart wants:

Broken Link Removed

Not sure about those hoofing great boxes on the back + PIA as you can't open back doors? Wonder if the dealer has recently down plated it as I am sure if someone filled those boxes up payload would be in big trouble. Loads of storage under bottom bunk, all my clothes & shoes would easily fit on the top one or the bottom one might be better for weight being lower down & I sleep on the top.
Looks like a nice van, well kitted, out payload & rear axle loading shouldn't be a problem as it's only 5.9m and a very short rear overhang. Should be possible to upgrade the weight. The main problem I see is will you have enough storeage space.
From the photo's it looks nice and clean, you need to be careful with Mercs they rust a lot more than Fiat's tend to get rust bubbles all over the body and seams. It does look clean, may have spent most of it's life in Germany and they don't use salt on the roads could be the reason.
If you are seriously interested I'm sure the dealer will get it on a weighbridge for you.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Looks like a nice van, well kitted, out payload & rear axle loading shouldn't be a problem as it's only 5.9m and a very short rear overhang. Should be possible to upgrade the weight. The main problem I see is will you have enough storeage space.
From the photo's it looks nice and clean, you need to be careful with Mercs they rust a lot more than Fiat's tend to get rust bubbles all over the body and seams. It does look clean, may have spent most of it's life in Germany and they don't use salt on the roads could be the reason.
If you are seriously interested I'm sure the dealer will get it on a weighbridge for you.

Yes, I am seriously interested but I am not going to do anything about it until I have a better idea of what the exchange rate is going to do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, I am seriously interested but I am not going to do anything about it until I have a better idea of what the exchange rate is going to do.
I don't think the exchange rate will vary much until all the Brexit stuff is sorted & that could drag on forever. If it's what you want go for it.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure about those hoofing great boxes on the back + PIA as you can't open back doors?

You might not want the doors opening if you are on the dunny!!

Having said that, I think that might be how you access the toilet cassette? There are no opening I can see in the bodywork. I think the rear rack with the boxes might hinge? It has a leg thing on one side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back